Wrist wraps

The place to discuss powerlifting and powerbuilding based training!

Wrist wraps

Postby health4ni on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:24 pm

NOT straps, but wraps. To maintain wrist strength.

Anyone used them? Thoughts on them etc.

TIA
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
User avatar
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:58 am
Location: Belfast, UK

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Ader on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Yes I use wrist wraps too when benching heavy - For me that's 100Kg upwards - I've always had teh odd wrist issue so have always used them to some extent.

I use some inzer one's I bought years ago - Pullum sports do them:

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/accessories/wrist-wraps/titan-titanium-wrist-wraps/prod_43.html.

The trouble is if you get the heavy duty ones is they're quite stiff which is great for benching and OHPing, but not so good on anything you my need a bit of wrist flexion for. They tend to come in diofferent lengths I use quite long ones that go round a couple of times, but you can get shorter ones that wrap round once - Less support more flexibility. Choices again!

They are worth is if you're going heavy regularly as sore wrists from doing heavy stuff is not nice! Of course some people don't seem to suffer but I'm guessing as you're asking you must feel a need!
____________________________________________________________________________
Don’t let the sets last much longer than ten seconds, total. Kinda like sex with a hot chick, hit it hard for ten seconds.
User avatar
Ader
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: An Office, Slough :(

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Craig on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 pm

If you have little girly wrist like me then its essential gym eqiptment for pressing movements, tend to use them on dumbells over 50kg as my wrists just won't handle the load.
User avatar
Craig
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby health4ni on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:55 pm

lol

I should be all right then :P

I'm just gathering opinion really. Not sure I'll need them right now; I haven't thus far.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
User avatar
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:58 am
Location: Belfast, UK

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Rab on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Craig wrote:If you have little girly wrist like me then its essential gym eqiptment for pressing movements, tend to use them on dumbells over 50kg as my wrists just won't handle the load.


exactly my issue

I dont need them per se but dfo keeps wrist safer and firmer when pressing. keeps you nice and stable right thru forearm to hand - or more so which is a good thing for letting you use better weight/get more reps
Image
User avatar
Rab
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 7943
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:09 am

Am beginning to think I need some wrist straps. I have issues with my wrists now in that they are the weak link on several pressing exercises when I go heavy... thought it was just me and my girly wrists but am glad to see other people with less feeble bone structure have the same issues.

Also thinking of getting some decent straps for deadlifting.
User avatar
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: SW England

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby simon m on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:03 am

Rab wrote:
Craig wrote:If you have little girly wrist like me then its essential gym eqiptment for pressing movements, tend to use them on dumbells over 50kg as my wrists just won't handle the load.


exactly my issue

I dont need them per se but dfo keeps wrist safer and firmer when pressing. keeps you nice and stable right thru forearm to hand - or more so which is a good thing for letting you use better weight/get more reps



I agree with the girls, I use them on 50kgs db's and heavy benching, just much safer.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
User avatar
simon m
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 8720
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby health4ni on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:12 am

Ferruggia's latest minimalism post is quite relevant lol
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
User avatar
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:58 am
Location: Belfast, UK

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Ader on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Dtlv74 wrote:Also thinking of getting some decent straps for deadlifting.
Now that is just plain wrong - You gotta work that grip boy :twisted:
____________________________________________________________________________
Don’t let the sets last much longer than ten seconds, total. Kinda like sex with a hot chick, hit it hard for ten seconds.
User avatar
Ader
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: An Office, Slough :(

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:29 pm

Ader wrote:
Dtlv74 wrote:Also thinking of getting some decent straps for deadlifting.
Now that is just plain wrong - You gotta work that grip boy :twisted:


twenty years of wanking and still my grip ain't decent... what's it gonna take exactly?!?
User avatar
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: SW England

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby simon m on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Dtlv74 wrote:
Ader wrote:
Dtlv74 wrote:Also thinking of getting some decent straps for deadlifting.
Now that is just plain wrong - You gotta work that grip boy :twisted:


twenty years of wanking and still my grip ain't decent... what's it gonna take exactly?!?



I've got smallish hands and have dislocated my thumbs a few times, so my grip strength aint ever gonna be amazing, so whilst it's better than a non lifter, I'm not that worried about making a lot better either.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
User avatar
simon m
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 8720
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby GymBunny on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:50 pm

My god you guys and your little wrists and hands. :lol:

What size are small girly wrists?
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
User avatar
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 5149
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:40 pm
Location: homeless

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby simon m on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:19 pm

GymBunny wrote:My god you guys and your little wrists and hands. :lol:

What size are small girly wrists?

8" for me

I might have small hands, but I've got a big ....
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
User avatar
simon m
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 8720
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Dtlv74 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:59 am

My wrist are only just 7"... and were 6" before training. Defintely girly.

One advantage of small hands though is they can create an optical illusion and make things look bigger when you hold them... is this your secret Simon?
User avatar
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: SW England

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby simon m on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:16 am

Dtlv74 wrote:My wrist are only just 7"... and were 6" before training. Defintely girly.

One advantage of small hands though is they can create an optical illusion and make things look bigger when you hold them... is this your secret Simon?

no mate, anything that take 2 hands to hold is big ;)
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
User avatar
simon m
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 8720
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Craig on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:05 am

7 inch wrists and I'm over 6 foot, my hands are a good size though.
User avatar
Craig
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby health4ni on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:28 pm

7" wrists and 5'7"

I'm not so sure wrist size will always mean a strong grip and wrist, but is of course the biggest factor (fat people have big wrists, but er lots of fat too lol).

Re-reading Ferruggia's post I do like what he says about our bodies (esp joint areas) not being able to cope with the stress/forces when using equipment to allow heavier weights to be lifted. Makes sense to me slowly improve strength all over to allow heavier weights to be used without equipment. It's a different story if you're lifting for competitive purposes though. And those with injuries will likely benefit (depending on the injury).
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
User avatar
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:58 am
Location: Belfast, UK

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Rab on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:28 pm

health4ni wrote:7" wrists and 5'7"

I'm not so sure wrist size will always mean a strong grip and wrist, but is of course the biggest factor (fat people have big wrists, but er lots of fat too lol).

Re-reading Ferruggia's post I do like what he says about our bodies (esp joint areas) not being able to cope with the stress/forces when using equipment to allow heavier weights to be lifted. Makes sense to me slowly improve strength all over to allow heavier weights to be used without equipment. It's a different story if you're lifting for competitive purposes though. And those with injuries will likely benefit (depending on the injury).


When i think of it its mostly bollocks what he says

for instance. Ill use wrist wraps for my heavy sets of pressing. I have done for years. It used to be 30k id wear wraps for but now its 50-60k only. As i get stronger...i only use the wraps on the heavysets and the old heavy sets becoem wrap free slowly...so clearly y wrist or whatever strength is also progressing. I wont bother using them now for 40k sets for instance

End result my wrists slowly proress in line with the weights lifted and i have the added security and firmness for heavy all out sets
Image
User avatar
Rab
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 7943
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby simon m on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Rab wrote:
health4ni wrote:7" wrists and 5'7"

I'm not so sure wrist size will always mean a strong grip and wrist, but is of course the biggest factor (fat people have big wrists, but er lots of fat too lol).

Re-reading Ferruggia's post I do like what he says about our bodies (esp joint areas) not being able to cope with the stress/forces when using equipment to allow heavier weights to be lifted. Makes sense to me slowly improve strength all over to allow heavier weights to be used without equipment. It's a different story if you're lifting for competitive purposes though. And those with injuries will likely benefit (depending on the injury).


When i think of it its mostly bollocks what he says

for instance. Ill use wrist wraps for my heavy sets of pressing. I have done for years. It used to be 30k id wear wraps for but now its 50-60k only. As i get stronger...i only use the wraps on the heavysets and the old heavy sets becoem wrap free slowly...so clearly y wrist or whatever strength is also progressing. I wont bother using them now for 40k sets for instance

End result my wrists slowly proress in line with the weights lifted and i have the added security and firmness for heavy all out sets



Agree 100%. The straps are aiding you and the overall strength is increasing, so there's safe progression
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
User avatar
simon m
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 8720
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Alex on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:34 pm

Not sure if it's something I'd use as I'd like to see strength increase in a linear manner where possible. Will admit however that for heavy Bench Press and Military Press they could prove useful but I never have felt a need with heavy DB Press.

Have done away with straps completely now and ahve found forearms have developed back up again similar to before I knackered my fingers from Rugby.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
User avatar
Alex
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 10604
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby health4ni on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:57 pm

@Rab & SI: maybe it's a mental thing in that as you increase strength you feel that your wrists no longer need wraps for the "lower" weights but they do for the higher weights??
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
User avatar
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:58 am
Location: Belfast, UK

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Rab on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:10 pm

They dont need them, it just makes it safer and less prone to wrist niggles i have found.

But my main point is Jason talks bollocks. Uless your wrapped up from 10k-60k on pressing, your wrists are still progressing. a sensible approach as usual is..well..sensible
Image
User avatar
Rab
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 7943
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby health4ni on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:15 pm

^^ I guess that is what you have found whilst wearing them. I'm not so sure he is talking bollocks though with his experience and many clients.

You are actually wise to use them though since AAS will increase muscular strength faster than ligament/tendon strength (and bone density), which will increase the risk of damage to the joints.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
User avatar
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:58 am
Location: Belfast, UK

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby simon m on Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:08 pm

health4ni wrote:@Rab & SI: maybe it's a mental thing in that as you increase strength you feel that your wrists no longer need wraps for the "lower" weights but they do for the higher weights??


I only use them on very heavy (for me) weights, so perhaps some mental aspect comes into play as well...
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
User avatar
simon m
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 8720
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Wrist wraps

Postby Craig on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:18 pm

health4ni wrote:@Rab & SI: maybe it's a mental thing in that as you increase strength you feel that your wrists no longer need wraps for the "lower" weights but they do for the higher weights??



No its not mental, when you use dumbells 60kg plus they start to get wider and harder to balance, its too much for my little wrists.
User avatar
Craig
Ultimate Contributor
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Next

Return to Powerlifting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 30 guests

cron