What do you think is better? EAA/BCAA Question

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

Re: What do you think is better? EAA/BCAA Question

Postby kp1512 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:21 pm

KP

BCAA's have been around for as long as I can remember. I guess the people at the top stick with what works (the basics) and dont obsess too much over specific details - unless there is a real need.

If you wanna try it then good for you. Please report back with your views/progress/thoughts.

Mike

Ive wanted to try it for well over a year now and waited it out so I could get my routine and other stuff in order. I dont know if itll be good or not - but I used what Ive read as a basis to try it. You may be right - it may not make an ounce of difference - but Ive set myself very aggresive targets for the next 12 week starting this Saturday - and I think now would be a good time to add this regime if you bear in mind pretty much all studies have indicated positive results on EAA at the very least. So what better then to try it myself.

I wouldnt necessarily agree with your first comment though - just because youve always done it - doesnt mean it is right. Where would Dorian have been if he used that approach; not to mention 1000's of other trainees. So I wouldnt call it obsess - but rather intrigued before I say "bollox its a waste of money".
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Flash Sketcha on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:23 pm

does anyone get flavouring for theirs as im sure it tastes like fucking shit. I imagine a strong citrusy fruit flavour would be good to mask with?
Use discount code BSD25 to recieve 5 percent off your order
Flash Sketcha
Super Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:24 pm

I add a little sugar free squash.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:25 pm

ash fletcher wrote:does anyone get flavouring for theirs as im sure it tastes like fucking shit. I imagine a strong citrusy fruit flavour would be good to mask with?

I tried my first lot yday evening - cold water, dumped 12g EAA - shook it hard for good 12 shakes and presto....went straight down. There def better than BCAA. Cant be asked with all the flavouring myself.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:39 pm

I use SST's MS & MR products. 1 scoop of each (3g) mixed with 6g of EAAs & BCAAs makes it taste good still. Trouble is the stuff is well expensive.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Flash Sketcha on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:48 pm

health4ni wrote:I use SST's MS & MR products. 1 scoop of each (3g) mixed with 6g of EAAs & BCAAs makes it taste good still. Trouble is the stuff is well expensive.

Others do cheaper ones i think, not sure how good they are though. p.s i'm dying in anticipation for the email! pmsl, lol nearly as bad as when i'm waiting for parcels of food and supps! :mrgreen:
Use discount code BSD25 to recieve 5 percent off your order
Flash Sketcha
Super Contributor

Postby Mike on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:45 pm

kp1512 wrote:

KP

BCAA's have been around for as long as I can remember. I guess the people at the top stick with what works (the basics) and dont obsess too much over specific details - unless there is a real need.

If you wanna try it then good for you. Please report back with your views/progress/thoughts.

Mike

Ive wanted to try it for well over a year now and waited it out so I could get my routine and other stuff in order. I dont know if itll be good or not - but I used what Ive read as a basis to try it. You may be right - it may not make an ounce of difference - but Ive set myself very aggresive targets for the next 12 week starting this Saturday - and I think now would be a good time to add this regime if you bear in mind pretty much all studies have indicated positive results on EAA at the very least. So what better then to try it myself.

I wouldnt necessarily agree with your first comment though - just because youve always done it - doesnt mean it is right. Where would Dorian have been if he used that approach; not to mention 1000's of other trainees. So I wouldnt call it obsess - but rather intrigued before I say "bollox its a waste of money".

I think BCAA supplementation has its purposes for some special cases and possibly high-end athletes but for 99.9% of trainees I think they'd do better to just train like an animal and eat well. Of course if you try it and feel it makes a difference then thats great! good luck with it
Mike
Dedicated Member

Postby health4ni on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Mike: do you think that "just train like an animal and eat well" includes the use of whey protein? As in a PWO shake of some kind?
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:15 pm

I always feel i have felt a difference when taking BCAAs with extra leucine to get the 411 mix, but i take my findings with a large pinch of salt, as with everyone elses on things like this.

There is too many variables. For taks sake comparing 6 weeks on bcaa's, then another 6 week period on eaa's or in my case nothing. Also considering the minor differences of say looking fuller, being a pound or two bigger/leaner, having more energy etc....there is no way on earth you can assume that these things are a major or even significant result of the new or altered supplement regime.
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Mike on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:50 pm

health4ni wrote:Mike: do you think that "just train like an animal and eat well" includes the use of whey protein? As in a PWO shake of some kind?

I consider whey protein as a food rather than a supplement per se. Its as close to nature as possible just more convenient. When you start extracting specific aminos and leaving out others I dont like it in terms of building muscle. Of course if you are trying to acheive supraphysiological concentrations to acheive a certain reaction (leucine to enhance protein synthesis) then that is slightly difference and where science prevails. In terms of simply building muscle though it really cannot get no more simpler than train > eat.

So yes I take a PWO shake of WPI along with 50g sugar from any source solid food or liquid. no fats or no funny business PWO. Seems to work for me.

you?
Mike
Dedicated Member

Postby simon m on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:52 pm

Mike wrote:
health4ni wrote:Mike: do you think that "just train like an animal and eat well" includes the use of whey protein? As in a PWO shake of some kind?

I consider whey protein as a food rather than a supplement per se. Its as close to nature as possible just more convenient. When you start extracting specific aminos and leaving out others I dont like it in terms of building muscle. Of course if you are trying to acheive supraphysiological concentrations to acheive a certain reaction (leucine to enhance protein synthesis) then that is slightly difference and where science prevails. In terms of simply building muscle though it really cannot get no more simpler than train > eat.

So yes I take a PWO shake of WPI along with 50g sugar from any source solid food or liquid. no fats or no funny business PWO. Seems to work for me.

you?

I agree Mike, but add in Leucine as it's proven to increase protein absorbtion.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Mike on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:01 am

simon m wrote:
Mike wrote:

you?

I agree Mike, but add in Leucine as it's proven to increase protein absorbtion.

I have been thinking that recently actually since Leucine is pretty darn cheap :lol:
Mike
Dedicated Member

Postby kp1512 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:31 am

defo - even like 1.5-2g of Leu in 3-4 Protein Meals a day has proven to raise PS
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Max on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:39 am

I had better much more actually noticeble results with a 10% degree hwp with 5gms bcaa and 2.5gms leucine over higher doses of eaa and bcaa.

Infact I would rather use a blend of bcaa eaa and hwp as the results where much more effective, I'd even say there is a synergy between them.. as odd as that sounds.
Pb's: Bench:140*10 - DL 260*2 - Squat to // 232.5*3
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:42 am

there has defo been far more reserach on bcaa than eaa to quantify and qualify its usage
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:57 pm

Max wrote:I had better much more actually noticeble results with a 10% degree hwp with 5gms bcaa and 2.5gms leucine over higher doses of eaa and bcaa.

Infact I would rather use a blend of bcaa eaa and hwp as the results where much more effective, I'd even say there is a synergy between them.. as odd as that sounds.

Doesn't sound odd at all :)

I think a genuine hydrolyzed whey protein combined with added free form EAAs might well be the ideal product... free form EAAs on their own are fast and easily absorbed but because they require no digestion they don't accelerate the digestive process itself and are slow stimulators of transport molecules and associated enzymes dealing with protein use (which are normally stimulated 'in readiness' by digestive action)... but the di- and tri- peptides in hwp DO stimulate an increase in these things, because they do still require some digestive enzyme action... and this in turn further increases the bodies efficiency in utilising the already free form EAAs... so there's your synergy!

Only problem is that for hwp to be really useful it has to be actually in significant quantity... which is just not the case for many of the hwp products out there which just put a token amount into a big pile of 'ordinary' whey. Such a product would also be quite expensive i'd imagine, and probably also taste like battery acid or window cleaner...
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Mike on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:31 am

Mike
Dedicated Member

Previous

Return to Supplements