What Defines Someone Physically Strong In The Gym?

If you wish to ask Scott from Health4NI any questions or to check any information or updates then you're in the right place.

Re: What Defines Someone Physically Strong In The Gym?

Postby health4ni on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Craig wrote:If you have to justify your numbers by comparing it to your BW...........

that ones all me :mrgreen:
lol I think BW has to factor in this. There has to be some way to measure your absolute strength against.

For example, from the journals here I'd say that Ash, Ollie & Alex are strong. They have a more complete rounded overall strength on many varying exercises.

As you don't post in your journal Craig I don't know about yourself, but from what I remember you're a competitor too ;)
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:16 pm

Good one Craig :)
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:18 pm

one day i want to be strong like all of you!
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:28 pm

I think bodyweigh does has to factor for what health is saying but Craig is still right...if you have to justify your strength by bodyweight then thats a bit guff. You should be strong regardless of bopdyweight...and the bodyweight would then supplement the strength of said person to make it possibly a little more impressive eprhaps

If you see someone pressing say 25kg dbs it doesnt matter if they only weigh 50 kg. thats still a pussy ass weight :D
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:39 pm

I meant to add Frio3535 too.

One day KP you may be able to join the strong boys club :P :lol:

The problem with taking BW out of the equation is how do you decide what constitutes a strong weight. A 25kg DB press to a 50kg female gymnast is strong. End of.

It's like the Olympic weightlifters. The heavy weights are obviously the strongest. But I don't many could do some chins or dips for example.

Anyway, I think the thread has probably been exhausted tbh.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Yeah a tad. Nick's strength is pretty obscene though.

There's relative strength in terms of the absolute weight you lift relative to other people and relative strength compared to your bodyweight, so yeah I reckon you have to factor both in.

You also have to factor in body shape (mine is ideal for deads), but then it starts getting way too complicated.

I feel pretty strong now, so maybe its a mental state as well. Once I outgrow the 50kg DBs on a few movements in my gym, then I'll feel properly strong. Bodyweight doesn't matter to me so much in terms of feeling strong in that respect.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:56 pm

i felt a lot stronger in the commercial gym than i do in my home gym. There's nothing to compare myself too so in that respect the commercial gym might have been holding me back. Ideally you wan to train with guys who are stronger than yourself.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Resurrected on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:15 pm

I'm just going to keep eating my spinach like Popeye and become strong with big muscles. Also the added advantage is I'll become alkaline.
Thoughts determine what you want... Actions determine what you get!

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:33 pm

I think having good core stability strength is usually a great marker for an individual's overall strength.

If you can lift and press your own body weight above your head then you have good overall strength.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:11 pm

While I agree Nick' strength is just stupid in some lifts-he isn't exactly a strong presser. To me, Alex and Ash have it going on, especially as they both have a respectable CV fitness too.
As I've said before, weighing 100+ is no excuse for not doing pullups/dips when alot of people here do 110kg+ pullups/dips.
Onearmed pullups, human flags and planche pushups are things I'd rate higly in terms of overall strength. If you combine those with solid lifting in core lifts, that's well impressive.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Jake The Muss on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:24 am

Rilla wrote:While I agree Nick' strength is just stupid in some lifts-he isn't exactly a strong presser. To me, Alex and Ash have it going on, especially as they both have a respectable CV fitness too.
As I've said before, weighing 100+ is no excuse for not doing pullups/dips when alot of people here do 110kg+ pullups/dips.
Onearmed pullups, human flags and planche pushups are things I'd rate higly in terms of overall strength. If you combine those with solid lifting in core lifts, that's well impressive.

Agree about pullups/dips. Being over 100kg is no excuse not to be able to do them with at least 40kg strapped around your waist ;)
http://www.jesterstattoo.com/
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!
Jake The Muss
Super Contributor

Postby Craig on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:04 am

This one is a Thibs quote:

"To me, you are strong or you are not... period!

Obviously people with more muscle will tend to be stronger... but a Ferrarri will also tend to be faster than a Honda Accord. To me there is no doubt that the Ferrarri is the better, faster car even though the Accord might be ''faster for its cost''.

Don't get me wrong. In some instances ''relative strength'' plays a role... in weight class sports for example. But in real life there are no weight classes...if you get into a bar fight and your opponent is a 300lbs mastodont who knows how to fight, and you are 150lbs then all the ''relative strength'' in the world won't save you.

By the same token, if you weigh 150lbs and are in a situation where you must move a 400lbs obstacle and can't deadlift more than 315 then even though you might be ''strong for your size'' it wont matter at all, you won't be able to move the damn rock! "

............. and his ex-gf could deadlift 140kg for 12 at 58kg
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:53 am

Craig wrote:............. and his ex-gf could deadlift 140kg for 12 at 58kg

He has a point - but that's pretty cool!
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Previous

Return to Health4NI