Vibrams

Whether its the treadmill, HIIT, Plyometrics, skipping or sled pulling....ask\put it here!

Vibrams

Postby Alex on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Looking at getting a pair for tarmac and someright trail work. Thinking of Komodo Sport or Trek Sport so anyone had experience of either. I know there are a few KSO fans here.

Also advice on sizing as not sure if foot measurement is done in parallel along the foot or at an angle from heel to toe.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Vibrams

Postby Rilla on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:24 pm

KSO sport is a bit thicker and rougher in the sole than the Komodo. The Komodo fits so nicely though. They're definately my favorite pair.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Have you done any trail running in them?
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:31 am

Yea.

I've run outside in all of my VFFs. No wait. Let me clarify:
Speed/Komodo (same sole, different upper, Komodo much better fit: Run on streets and on good, flat stable paths in park. Also used indoors. Perfect for this. Also on a track.

KSO: Used these on wet(ish) grass which was SHIT. Very little traction. They have the best barefoot feeling though, which is great on streets etc as well as indoors.

KSO Trek:by far the best option for trail running. Same sole as Merrell Trail glove, except for the separated toes. BUT. Compared to a real trail shoes it's very different and in many ways inferior. Very little to no lateral support and even with the thickest sole, very little cushioning, which means landing on a stone/branch/whatever kan twist your foot/just plain hurt from the strike. If you can stick to somewhat proper trails with just soft soil, they're great though.

Oh and final word of warning - you don't transition into running in VFFs in one or two runs. Especially at our age, being sensible is a definate must.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:34 am

In a hurry right now, more to come. Don't buy anythng just yet. :)
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:56 am

Being part of the CrossFit community has probably biased me, but I rarely wear my VFFs anymore. Too many "elite athletes" wearing them for my taste.
For overall usability I like the Merrell Trail Glove a lot more. You can wear socks if you please (thin socks would be the obvious choice, but thicker will work during winter) and they look like a real shoe. That means you avoid all the weird stares and get 99% of the feeling. As mentioned before, they have the same sole as KSO Trek. You also avoid getting grass and pebbles stuck between the toes.

I've found the Merrell as well as the VFFs to be very true to my regular size.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Was looking at the trail glove earlier today and think it's a good shout as the cost is a fair bit lower and a good way into trying out the concept.

Sizing wise the trek sport comes up a size lower for me compare to the likes of KSO and komodo but I think the higher size would work.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Tried the Trail Glove which felt comfortable and not like a zero drop shoe although I guess it's not a true zero drop. I suspected I may be between sizes as per rugby boots and it's the same here. UK 9 was perfect for my right foot but a little tight on the left so this means purchasing direct from merrell for the half size.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Spit on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:58 pm

The NB Minimus look like a good bet too:

http://www.ericcressey.com/the-new-bala ... alist-shoe
Spit
Dedicated Member

Postby Alex on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Looked at the MT 110 for a trail shoe but seems NB come up pretty narrow and some have cause ankle issues so for the moment I'm sticking with the Merrells.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:41 pm

I have had a pair of Merrell Trail Glove since April 2011. Really like them. They fit very snug and feel like you're not wearing them at all. Only issue I have is that I had to go a size larger than should've been necessary (UK8.5) due to my feet being rather wide and these not being wide enough strangely for Barefoot shoes.

I also have some Vivobarefoot Neos. Very comfy. £10 from TKMax!!
Also a pair of Vivobarefoot Aquas; retro looking boots.

My latest pair is Vivobarefoot Breatho Trail: http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/breatho-trail-light-grey-red.html - these are now my favourite Barefoot trainers. They look great and fit great (took a UK7 which was recommended to do via the US Vivobarefoot site http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/breatho-trail-light-grey-red.html - "How will it fit?" when I said I had a pair of Trail Glove's in 8.5). Got these for £48 from £69

If you're in London or Brighton go to the Vivobarefoot store and try before you buy.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Spit on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:03 am

Good tip-off Scott, I'm going to go and try some on at the Brighton store when I get back from my holiday. Does the Breatho Trail have no heel lift at all? I want some primarily for use in the gym, so that's a priority for me.

I still wish more people would make 'normal'-looking trainers like the Minumus and the Free; I know it's not a huge deal for the gym or trail running, but I'd like to be able to wear a pair to the pub without feeling like Action Jackson.
Spit
Dedicated Member

Postby Alex on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:59 pm

Trail Gloves arrived this morning which is quick as I order only yesterday afternoon. Wore them to the gym to try them out and found them very comfortable so looking forward to running in them.

I have a tarmac 1 mile loop that I will use to start with for a few runs before adding distance and trail work. The short loop goes right past the country park around halfway so perfect for adding in some trail work.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:33 pm

First run this evening with a mix of tarmac and trail as things felt pretty good. Did around 2 miles with a bit more tarmac than trail. Calfs were burning a little at the end but otherwise ok. Overall felt my stride was shorter but this did lengthen out over the run. Also there is very little flat running on the route I do so I probably was running short on the uphill parts in the beginning anyway.

So far finding this a comfortable shoe both on tarmac and trail.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:45 am

You wil need shorter strides in order to land on mid/front of food.
Think quick, light strides and it'll come naturally.
Expect great calf DOMS.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:52 am

^^ think about making little to no noise on landing.

@Spit: yeah, zero lift. All Vivos are afaik. The Breatho looks the best Vivo trainer they've ever made imo.

I also have the Vivo Ra http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/ra- ... ather.html - they look better in the flesh than in the pics. Very comfy. Standard size on these so took an 8. Def try the Brighton store. Often lots of reduced items :-) My wife got a pair for £25 from £60.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:49 am

Was pretty much how I run anyway. I know when playing rugby I tend to run short and fast as I'm on my toes. Should get better once I start not to think so much about it.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Second run all on tarmac this time and calfs were burning within minutes and for a few hours after but recovered next day. Covered just over 2 miles in around 15 mins with very little flat gradient so fairly happy with that so a second outing in the trail gloves.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Few weeks in now and all positive with the Trail Gloves. Got out for a longer run Saturday evening for around 4.5 miles, most of it trail and apart from slight calf burn during the run things felt comfortable. Next day DOMs are gone and running performance improves.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Runs getting better now but evenings pulling in means resorting back to tarmac running soon where there is lighting. With this in mind I have got some Adidas Adipure Five Fingers which are very new but getting good reviews and keenly priced. Should arrive in the next few days so look forward to trying these out running and in the gym.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Will on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:58 pm

I've got the komodo sport ones, use them for hill sprints, general outdoor conditioning work, but also in the gym - awesome for deadlifting and squatting. :)

You need to learn to run on the balls of your feet though - otherwise they're not so good, unless the ground is soft.
Will
Super Contributor

Postby Alex on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Given the Adidas a few runs and a couple of gym sessions and very happy with them so far. Surprisingly comfortable running in them as tgwy breathe really well on the go which may cause an issue once the weather gets colder. Some toe socks may be answer to this and would be handy in the gym as my feet tend to heat up more.

My last run was 2.6 miles in 18mins at a comfortable pace with varied gradient so not bad going.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Toe socks are shit bro. Trust me, I've tried three different kinds.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:17 am

Fair enough. Just stick with the Merrells if thing's get really too cold on road. Have you seen the gazelles?

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:16 am

Nope.

I'd do exactly that. The toesocks feel like shit in the toe pockets - something which isn't a problem in the Merrells.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Next

Return to Cardiovascular Fitness