Truth About Exercise Tonite 9pm

A place to discuss issues which dont fall into other areas and just basic banter and humour!

Truth About Exercise Tonite 9pm

Postby kp1512 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:04 pm

BBC2

think theyll also cover the £5mill study that was done on HIIT - very good watch if they do

Horizon: the Truth about Exercise is on Tuesday at 9pm on BBC2 (11:20pm in Wales, Thursday 11:20pm in Northern Ireland)

Like many, Michael Mosley want to get fitter and healthier but can't face hours on the treadmill or trips to the gym. Help may be at hand.

He uncovers the surprising new research which suggests many of us could benefit from just three minutes of high intensity exercise a week.

He discovers the hidden power of simple activities like walking and fidgeting, and finds out why some of us don't respond to exercise at all

Using himself as a guinea pig, Michael uncovers the surprising new research about exercise, that has the power to make us all live longer and healthier lives.

Edit - not much coverage on this but this was in the scottish sun today alot more to the findings but hey ho

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... rkout.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what this and the previous study does not enforce is the intensity of that 20-30 seconds..its truly flat out and nothing beats running it. Having pissed about with various over past 4 months - prowler and running HIIT, hands down, will get you seriously lean and fit [with diet obv] followed by about 10-15 mins of steady state to clear the FFA's from the blood
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Truth About Exercise Tonite 9pm

Postby Resurrected on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Similar to what Rob Blakeman used to use in his gyms. Mind you I know the two in Brum have gone tits up.
Thoughts determine what you want... Actions determine what you get!

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Gym-pig on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks for that KP

Just watching it on the i player - would have missed that !
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby Rab on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:44 am

It doesnt matter how little time it takes or how much people can get fitness and helath handed to them on a plate..they just wont do it

We have had it too easy in this country for so long most people im actually convinced now hardly know they are even alive!
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Gym-pig on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:56 am

Rab wrote:It doesnt matter how little time it takes or how much people can get fitness and helath handed to them on a plate..they just wont do it

We have had it too easy in this country for so long most people im actually convinced now hardly know they are even alive!

I would say they are convinced they will not die
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby Rab on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:18 pm

I just dont think anyone thinks about it mate. the odd passing thought.

People are in general so lazy. most have no idea about a healthy diet, most dont exercise at all in essence....

We have everything on a plate in this country and are so very fortunate. health care free to anyone, affordable food, a million and one oppertunites for exercise be that the great out doors, local council facilites that are subsidised and a couple of quid...even less if you are a consession and dont work, classes everywhere for a few quid. Its all taken for granted we have had it so easy and people genuinely dont know they are alive

This rant was sponsored by a calorie deficit and lack of pizza in my life
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:38 pm

i thought it was a good program tbh. but i can see ppl now doing few mins of 50% effort thinking it was tough..

fat tax is the only way! Jules will be fucked - but its the only way!

I think the more money it costs obesity - the greater the need for some serious changes -

like whats happened to the cigaratte industry - as soon as the health care costs went to multi billions they acted......same thing may happen with obesity?
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:10 pm

you ignorant little cretin bender
obesity is already at endemic levels and costs the nhs -and you should know this from your recent sojourn at gsts - all depends on how it is coded-
so hiit potentially cause further undue stress on the orthopods- with a load of fatties (me included) doing high impact load bearing exercise, that quite frankly is far too much for our poor skeletal systems

you do wax lyrical- you are the equivalent of barry bethell for slimfast with your advocacy for hiit
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:50 pm

Fasted steady state for the win
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:18 pm

julesm wrote:you ignorant little cretin bender
obesity is already at endemic levels and costs the nhs -and you should know this from your recent sojourn at gsts - all depends on how it is coded-
so hiit potentially cause further undue stress on the orthopods- with a load of fatties (me included) doing high impact load bearing exercise, that quite frankly is far too much for our poor skeletal systems

you do wax lyrical- you are the equivalent of barry bethell for slimfast with your advocacy for hiit

who and where has ANYONE made any reference to HIIT for the obese on here?

You are a confused chappy!
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Off Topic