Stims for Sprinting

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

Stims for Sprinting

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:09 pm

Kind of following from Healths topic but i was just wondering what you guys think is the best stim for a sprint test, I have got a trial on sat and i want to blitz it.
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Re: Stims for Sprinting

Postby RoB on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:12 pm

An incredible amount of caffiene?

Caffeine is probably the most widely used ergogenic aid of all times. It has made many fortunes. Imagine the World without caffeine? A U.S. based prohibition on caffeine like they did on alcohol in the thirties? Organized crime would even get stronger, for sure! Here is what you should know about the latest findings on caffeine:

1. Its positive effects on sports performance mainly come from enhanced mood, reduced perception of pain, and adenosine antagonism.

2. For best results, capsules work better than tablets, and the optimal time is 45 to 60 minutes before exercise. Using a mixture of 2 ounces of club soda with two ounces of grapefruit juice to swallow them will increase the speed and the magnitude of coffee concentration in the blood stream.

3. For endurance improvement, only 1.3 to 2 mg/kg seems to be enough to increase performance, probably due to increased fatty acid metabolism and glycogen sparing.

4. For strength training, best results are seen once the 7 mg/kg threshold is reached, with 10 mg/kg being the upper limit where no further additional gains are seen. Elite athletes tend to respond better to caffeine than weekend warriors. Using coffee as your sole source of caffeine pre-workout would require an enormous amount of coffee. As in 6-9 cups for a 90 kg lifter. Capsules remain the best option.

5. Caffeine eliciting dehydration is a myth. Research studies show no greater change in urine loss or fluid when compared to a placebo.

6. Even though caffeine raises blood pressure short term, caffeine and hypertension are not related in long term studies.

7. The polyphenols in coffee improve insulin sensitivity, but caffeine in large amounts may negatively alter insulin sensitivity, but the jury is not out yet on whether caffeine use in athletes increases diabetes risk.

Charles Poliquin
RoB
Regular Contributor

Postby Flash Sketcha on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:14 pm

caffeine at very high doses can be IOC illegal if what you're doing counts under their 'competition' rules. Just a heads up
Use discount code BSD25 to recieve 5 percent off your order
Flash Sketcha
Super Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:15 pm

Cheers for the heads up but its only a squad testing and there wont be any testers there.
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby Alex on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Nicotine funnily enough but I'm not sure on the dose.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:26 pm

How does it help?
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby Max on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:27 pm

Caffeine / ephedrine / and rillas coupbord contents..
Pb's: Bench:140*10 - DL 260*2 - Squat to // 232.5*3
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:28 pm

I think in a similar way to NO2 products but certainly meant to increase oxygen transportation. Athletes are tested for it so must be something in it.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:36 pm

It's not a stim, but sodium bicarbonate has supported scientific research showing how it delays lactic acid build when taken pre-workout. I think the studies used something like 10-15g 1-2hrs before.

The studies don't make the link between it's immense alkalising effects on the lactic acid, but that's how it works. Not good for a 1RM perhaps, but great for a max rep effort.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Spit on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:18 pm

Whatever you do don't go guinea-pigging anything new on game day, that's a schoolboy error!
Spit
Dedicated Member

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:52 am

Alex wrote:I think in a similar way to NO2 products but certainly meant to increase oxygen transportation. Athletes are tested for it so must be something in it.

There's a massive thread on one of the american bodybuilding forums about using medicinal marijana/cannabis extracts as a stim... apparently synthesised cannaboid extracts are one of the most potent vasodilators out there!

Not suggesting you get stoned before the race though coop, just thought I'd mention it :D
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Ader on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:18 am

Dtlv74 wrote:
Alex wrote:I think in a similar way to NO2 products but certainly meant to increase oxygen transportation. Athletes are tested for it so must be something in it.

There's a massive thread on one of the american bodybuilding forums about using medicinal marijana/cannabis extracts as a stim... apparently synthesised cannaboid extracts are one of the most potent vasodilators out there!

Not suggesting you get stoned before the race though coop, just thought I'd mention it :D
I know BBers used to use cannabis as a stim to help get those few extra reps at the gym out I went to when I were a lad - A nice smell in the changing rooms sometimes
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Richard on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:56 am

Dtlv74 wrote:

It never made me feel like running :D
Richard
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:09 am

Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Richard on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:17 am

Where's a good place to get bicarb Scott - can you just use Tesco's or Boots' or the like? wasnt there something about aluminium salts in some of it?
Richard
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:23 am

Get it from a chemist to be safe; it will at least have been passed fit for oral use. BP verified.

I paid £1.20 for a 200g tub. Boots used to do a 500g bag but not any more. They probably still sell it, but you'll need to ask as it's not on the shelves.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Richard on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks Scott :)
Richard
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Max wrote:Caffeine / ephedrine / and rillas coupbord contents..

Not the best for someone aiming for the winter olympics :lol:
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Tyrosine is a nice stim that isn't too powerful. I don't do huge stims anymore really, But I take a good 3-4g of tyrosine more or less every time I train.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Flash Sketcha on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Rilla wrote:Tyrosine is a nice stim that isn't too powerful. I don't do huge stims anymore really, But I take a good 3-4g of tyrosine more or less every time I train.

I'm planning on using tyrosine, Will be training roughly 2 times a day in oct, would 3 grams on each session be fine? Or is 2 enough?
Flash Sketcha
Super Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:22 pm

Iv been taking tyrosine for a while now and I really rate it!
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby Rilla on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:29 pm

ash fletcher wrote:
Rilla wrote:Tyrosine is a nice stim that isn't too powerful. I don't do huge stims anymore really, But I take a good 3-4g of tyrosine more or less every time I train.

I'm planning on using tyrosine, Will be training roughly 2 times a day in oct, would 3 grams on each session be fine? Or is 2 enough?

Factoring in BW and general tolerance towards stims, I'd say 2g should be good for you. Not sure I'd stim up twice daily for a prolonged period though. If you're gonna do it though, tyrosine is much easier on the body in my experience.
What kind of split will you be doing? Weights in the morning/afternoon and sprinting in the afternoon/morning?
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Flash Sketcha on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:40 pm

Rilla wrote:
ash fletcher wrote:

Factoring in BW and general tolerance towards stims, I'd say 2g should be good for you. Not sure I'd stim up twice daily for a prolonged period though. If you're gonna do it though, tyrosine is much easier on the body in my experience.
What kind of split will you be doing? Weights in the morning/afternoon and sprinting in the afternoon/morning?

Morning sessions are either plyometrics or bodyweight conditioning, evening sessions are either weights or sprints.

Does it lose affectiveness if used too much?

p.s I'm not training twice a day EVERYDAY mind.
Flash Sketcha
Super Contributor

Postby Ader on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:24 pm

Coop_de_Ville wrote:Iv been taking tyrosine for a while now and I really rate it!

I never felt I got anything from it - But BA - Now we're talking :mrgreen:
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:51 am

I never felt like i got much from tyrosine either.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Next

Return to Supplements