Running and recovery

Whether its the treadmill, HIIT, Plyometrics, skipping or sled pulling....ask\put it here!

Running and recovery

Postby kean.1 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Been a long time since I've posted on here so hello to all the old and new members of the forum.

Im planning to do the glasgow half marathon on 5th September so have taken to running 3 times a week. Currently running two 2.5 mile runs and a 4.5 mile run and intend to build on this as the weeks progress (previously only done the odd small run here and there so got a bit of building up to do).

Finding my calves are constantly sore just now and was wondering of any suggestions supplementation wise etc that I could do to reduce this - currently taking about 10/12 bcaa's a day.

Was gonna start a journal to keep track of my progress if anyones interested and any tips would be welcome :)

Cheers ;)
life isnt about finding yourself. Its about creating yourself!!!
kean.1
Regular Contributor

Re: Running and recovery

Postby Rilla on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:39 pm

If you can throw in some more specific info, I'll be happy to set you up with a plan that'll get you through that little run faster than you've ever dreamt of.
How many days can you run per week?
How fast do you wanna go?
How bad do you want it?
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kean.1 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:59 pm

My quickest time for the 2.5 mile is 18 min 34 secs (19 min 6 secs tonight)
For the 4.44 mile its 35 min 49 secs. Dont really know if this is decent or not.

http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/ElevationGraph.asp?RunID=94754&RunType=S&HillEmphasis=True&Distance=miles&Elevation=metres

http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/RouteViewer.asp?RouteType=S&RouteID=94754&RoutePace=8.07

Starting with three though if i can manage more i'll do as much as it takes.
Was thinking 1 hour 35 as this would guarantee being in the top 1000 (if last years results are anything to go by). Whether i'll be able to achieve this or not i don't know. Very determined though!!!!!

Is that enough info?
kean.1
Regular Contributor

Postby Rab on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:00 pm

Running is for schmuks Kean. Unless you have the heart of a lion like the Rilla, then it will fcuk you up

...i only say nice things about the Rilla here because i have to....not because i like him!
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:38 pm

1hr35 is easy dude. No worries.
You've already got a decent foundation to build on and you've got plenty of time.

You basically apply the same principles as you do in weight training. If you're feeling beat over some time, take an easy week or skip one (or more) of the sessions.
Never increase intensity by more than 10-15% a week. Never run "to failure" - feel refreshed and energized when you're done.
I'd do four different sessions a week, and weights twice, fullbody. Lowish volume on the lower body, but keep working it hard with heavy weights.
Here are the sessions I'd recommend:
A: Intervals. Warm up with some light jogging etc, then do 5x400m with 60s rest. This'll only take you 25 mins from the doorstep. It'll kill you if you hit it hard.
B: Intervals. 6x800m, 2minute rest.
C: Longish run. Start out with your longest current run. Let's say it's 8km. Week one, do 9, week 2 do 6, week three 10, week for 7. Keep going 'till you reach 21. After a while drop a bit of distance off the "short" weeks, keep them 20-30% below the long weeks.
D: This is the complicated one. Go out and (after warming up) do 30 seconds all out. Take the distance, multiply it by 0.9 - this is your target distance. The first workout will be: run target distance, rest 3min repeat x5. Next week add one interval. Keep adding 'till you reach 12. By then you do the 30s test again and start over from 5.

Also, you need to decide what you're gonna wear soon. You're probably already thinking of getting a pair of running shoes - it's a good idea to have two different pairs. Socks! Very important. Do not wear ANYTHING on the day, that you haven't worn on at least a couple of long runs.

That's it for now, you probably have a few questions..
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:47 pm

I can't offer anything like the advice of Da Rilla. I notice, however, you say you get sore calves. Stretch them. Stretch the buggers every day. I always thought I had tight hamstrings but got set right by an osteo who informed me the problem was my calves. A large % of people have this problem. Add this into the program the Rilla and see how it goes.
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Rillalicious post above - great advice there.

I'd echo GymBunny - stretch those calves out several times a day for a few weeks and they should start to respond a lot better... works for me.

Stretching
Passive recovery
Maintaining optimum hydration
BCAAs before and after running
No fear of carbs

In addition to simply keeping the amount of running sensible, the above are the things that seem to help me recover best when I do a few 3-6 mile sessions a week.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:02 am

Oh yea, how could I forget!

STRETCHING!!!! :)

Hip flexors, hamstrings and glutes. 5x30s or something like that per group, don't jerk or bounce, just ease into them. What you're doing is called relaxed stretching and should be relaxing.
Dynamic stretches as warmup is always a good thing as well.

As for BCAAs, I think it's a waste of money, pure and simple. As long as you're not going above 20k there's no real need for specialized nutrition, just get a carb based meal in three hours before going out.

One more thing, your "long" run is NOT supposed to be fast. Just plod along at a pace where you're capable of having a conversation.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kean.1 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:10 am

Cheers for the advice all.

Thats alot more complex than i was expecting Rilla :o .

Couple of questions :

The interval training, is this done at a steady pace or sprints?

D: After finding the target distance at all out, is each interval also preformed all out or at a steady pace?

cheers.

Ps what kinda time would you run a half marathon in?
kean.1
Regular Contributor

Postby Rilla on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:31 am

Intervals are done at max speed (for that interval). Session D is a sprinting session. You go ALL OUT. That's why target distance is only 90% of the tested time. With the long rests, you should be able to do target distance in around 30s for all of your intervals.

Hmmm. I should be able to get below an hour and a half - maybe a bit faster. I don't know really. I've done 20 in 1hr35 but that's a long time ago and two hours after squatting 150kg for reps.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Cardiovascular Fitness