Westide Barbell Bench Press

Your place to post about exercise technique and research

Westide Barbell Bench Press

Postby health4ni on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP3g-I9Sf9s

Might be useful for the Powerlifters.. unless they already do it of course.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Westide Barbell Bench Press

Postby Marks1972 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Is that a clip for the Westside seminar? (no youtube at work)

If it is, thats an awesome resource, not just the training but Dave Tate's talk before hand and Lou's interview at the end.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current gym PBs - Deadlift 280kg, Squat 230kg (knee wraps and belt), Bench 160kg (wrist wraps)
Marks1972
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:31 pm

seminar yes, but no chat from Dave or Louis (although it is Louis doing the demo).
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Ader on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Nice explanation - Must try to incorporate that and see if it helps :)
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:51 pm

Let us know how you get on. Also any others that try it.

I'll have a crack soon too.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Spit on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:54 am

health4ni wrote:seminar yes, but no chat from Dave or Louis (although it is Louis doing the demo).

That's Dave Tate mate ;)
Spit
Dedicated Member

Postby health4ni on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:04 am

oops lol :roll:
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Marks1972 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:11 am

Ive got the videos from the seminar off t'internet, id pay money for it but ive never seen it anywhere and its pretty old now anyhoo, think it was filmed in 2002. Well worth looking out for if you have any interest in powerlifting/strength training.

You do wonder though if their love of the reverse hyper machine is not just because Simmons invented it and sells them :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current gym PBs - Deadlift 280kg, Squat 230kg (knee wraps and belt), Bench 160kg (wrist wraps)
Marks1972
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex Wheatman on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:39 am

Yeah that was a long time ago as Dave does not train or work at west side anymore. Not long after that he opened Elitefts and has his own gym in Ohio still.

Dave is a god in my eyes. I have chatted to him a few times and has helped me out a great deal in the past with my technique and what not (bench mostly)
Has anyone looked at metal mallitia bench tecnique?
Some of the two go against each other. I do agree that you need to train in your equipment ALOT. So many people i know just stick a shirt on 5-6 weeks out from a comp and wonder why they blow out!!

I got the chance to go over to Columbus a few years ago to train at Westside but i had to turn it down as i was offered a job in Dubai. I wish i went, i would have learnt more in that one week then i could have done in 2 years in the gym where i train.
People are only just starting to box squat and board press in my gym. As for using bands. Don't ask!
Affiliate of Bulk Supplements Direct
Powerlifter in the 82.5kg class soon to be 90KG

Use discount code BSD134 to recieve 5 percent off your order
Alex Wheatman
Regular Contributor

Postby Frio3535 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Alex Wheatman wrote:Yeah that was a long time ago as Dave does not train or work at west side anymore. Not long after that he opened Elitefts and has his own gym in Ohio still.

Dave is a god in my eyes. I have chatted to him a few times and has helped me out a great deal in the past with my technique and what not (bench mostly)
Has anyone looked at metal mallitia bench tecnique?
Some of the two go against each other. I do agree that you need to train in your equipment ALOT. So many people i know just stick a shirt on 5-6 weeks out from a comp and wonder why they blow out!!

I got the chance to go over to Columbus a few years ago to train at Westside but i had to turn it down as i was offered a job in Dubai. I wish i went, i would have learnt more in that one week then i could have done in 2 years in the gym where i train.
People are only just starting to box squat and board press in my gym. As for using bands. Don't ask!

I've taken the basic principle of Metal Millitia - a day for low-end raw strength and another for top end/shirt practise and my bench seems to be improving atm. Shirt practise is difficult for me atm as i don't have a training partner to help so i stick to RAW 5/4/3 boards etc.
Frio3535
Popular Member

Postby Alex Wheatman on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:27 pm

Yeah it is hard to try and get a decent training partner let alone getting someone to get a shirt on you.

That does suck. Shame you do not live closer.

Alex Wheatman
Regular Contributor

Postby Frio3535 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:33 pm

When i have worn a shirt my gf has helped me put it on. Its a size to big, intentionally, just so i'd guarantee some shirt time and its only a cheap one. My board work is done on those plastic bumper plates for oly lifters to practise on. Thats hard enough to get them balancing once i've arched and then theres always the risk they slide down and smack you in the face. Its good fun though.
Frio3535
Popular Member

Postby Alex Wheatman on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 pm

I've found that if you have some decent amount of weight on the bar you can get some of the material wrap it round the knerling to "jack" your shirt up. Make sure you have your belt noce and tight before hand though :)

Why not just go to a timber store and make a board? Thats what i did. I have a 3,2,1 in one.

Alex Wheatman
Regular Contributor

Postby Frio3535 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:50 pm

I did have a 1/2/3 board out of wood and i thought it would be safe to leave it in the gym with all the other crap like dip belt/pins/collars etc but nope, somebody took it so ive been using the plastic plates foe a few weeks.
What thickness is a board? I think its 1.5 inch but i think ive read some have it at 2 inches?
Frio3535
Popular Member

Postby Alex Wheatman on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:56 pm

That sucks man. I had some really think bands at the gym that i used to use for reverse band dead lifting and they got nicked from my gym!! Gutted.

My boards are 1.5. one of my friends was saying that the yanks have a different measurement size to us. Don't know if thats true but there sizing of 2 is our 1.5. Go figure. Was thinking of adding a 4th board. What do you think of your 4 board press, worth it?

Alex Wheatman
Regular Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Frio3535 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Alex Wheatman wrote:That sucks man. I had some really think bands at the gym that i used to use for reverse band dead lifting and they got nicked from my gym!! Gutted.

My boards are 1.5. one of my friends was saying that the yanks have a different measurement size to us. Don't know if thats true but there sizing of 2 is our 1.5. Go figure. Was thinking of adding a 4th board. What do you think of your 4 board press, worth it?

Depends if you think you have a weakness or not.
3/4 boards are a good call, perhaps more important then 1/2 boards as most fails are at lockout rather then off the chest. Obviously though if you're not having any problems with locking out atm then perhaps save it for a plateau. Yeh i think it was on critical bench that i read 2" for boards.
Frio3535
Popular Member

Postby Alex Wheatman on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:18 pm

health4ni wrote:http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_seven_habits_of_highly_defective_benchers - how appropriate

Good article although i think his form is off. Still the same with feet moving after the lift out and he is pushing the bar back towards the rack rather then right up.

Alex Wheatman
Regular Contributor

Postby Alex Wheatman on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Frio3535 wrote:
Alex Wheatman wrote:That sucks man. I had some really think bands at the gym that i used to use for reverse band dead lifting and they got nicked from my gym!! Gutted.

Depends if you think you have a weakness or not.
3/4 boards are a good call, perhaps more important then 1/2 boards as most fails are at lockout rather then off the chest. Obviously though if you're not having any problems with locking out atm then perhaps save it for a plateau. Yeh i think it was on critical bench that i read 2" for boards.

well i might have a go at 4 boards then. I have got a meso cycle of three and two boards and after the 6th week hitting some heavy pin presses. I like to do them together but have had to comprimise with my training partner as his triceps are whack so if we do them both he can't do the rest of the session. So i use a closer grip on the incline bench.

Alex Wheatman
Regular Contributor

Return to Exercise Kinesiology and Research