Military Shoulder Press

New to training? Want to get in shape and want some free advice? Feel free to ask away in here!

Military Shoulder Press

Postby Pingu on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:43 am

Can anyone please give me some tips on doing Military Shoulder Presses?

I don't want to end up doing myself a mischief!

What is the safest way to get the weight up to shoulder level in the first place, then down again. That's the bit that concerns me....

Thank you! :D
Life is too short for boring socks
Pingu
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Military Shoulder Press

Postby Rab on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:15 am

Use a power rack of some sort of your gym has one. There is pins/hooks that are pre-set or can be adjusted to suit so all you do is set it to shoulder/upper chest height.

To start the lift get under the bar, position your hands to the suitable width for you* then bobs your auntie

* imo the correct width of grip is found by making sure that your forearms are both perfectly vertical while the bar is at the bottom of the lift.
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Marks1972 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:18 am

Unless you already know also worth looking up the difference between a military press, overhead press (or just press) and a push press... and then laugh as people say they are doing seated military presses :D

Main safety thing is if you start hyperextending your back, lower the weight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current gym PBs - Deadlift 280kg, Squat 230kg (knee wraps and belt), Bench 160kg (wrist wraps)
Marks1972
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Resurrected on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:55 am

I completely disagree with Rab about using a rack.

Its not difficult to lift it. Bend and grab the bar (overhand grip) and then just lift it to your waist. Just like you were going to do some barbell curls. That's step 1 :)

Now just bring the bar up to your chin. That's step 2 :)

From there push it up above your head. That's step 3 :)

Your now in a position to do http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... Press.html
Thoughts determine what you want... Actions determine what you get!

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Resurrected wrote:I completely disagree with Rab about using a rack.

Its not difficult to lift it. Bend and grab the bar (overhand grip) and then just lift it to your waist. Just like you were going to do some barbell curls. That's step 1 :)

Your now in a position to do http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... Press.html

The reason i suggest coming off a rack is because Pingo has a dodgy wonky arm and i think she might find the technique of cleaning the weight difficult. Learnign the clean is an exercise on its own.
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Marks1972 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:00 pm

hmm that exrx.net link is what id call on overhead press or just barbell press. The little kick with the hips, feet shoulder width apart.

I thought a military press was feet together, body rigid, pretty much just the arms moving, hence the name.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current gym PBs - Deadlift 280kg, Squat 230kg (knee wraps and belt), Bench 160kg (wrist wraps)
Marks1972
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Resurrected on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Rab wrote:
Resurrected wrote:I completely disagree with Rab about using a rack.

The reason i suggest coming off a rack is because Pingo has a dodgy wonky arm and i think she might find the technique of cleaning the weight difficult. Learnign the clean is an exercise on its own.

Forgot about her injury. That said I still think she should try to lift it as I'm guessing she will only be using a light weight.

Marks1972 wrote:hmm that exrx.net link is what id call on overhead press or just barbell press. The little kick with the hips, feet shoulder width apart.

I thought a military press was feet together, body rigid, pretty much just the arms moving, hence the name.

It is strictly speaking but I don't honestly think anyone really means the feet together version when they refer to it now days.

May be you prefer this Mark http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/bobbi-bil ... s/7472036/ :D
Thoughts determine what you want... Actions determine what you get!

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Agree with Rab about taking it off the rack; and not just cos of injury. I just think it's better practice.

Also, I think that the legs should be in a split stance. The reason is that it removes most of the pressure from the lower spine/back. Whilst not strictly traditional for a military Press, it doesn't matter as safety for the lower back is important and it'll still work just fine.

Split stance width should be whatever is comfortable whilst ensuring the feet are flat at all times. I tend not to go too far apart.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Wardie on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm with Scott, split stance on the military presses!
Wardie
Dedicated Member

Postby Dtlv74 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Marks1972 wrote:hmm that exrx.net link is what id call on overhead press or just barbell press. The little kick with the hips, feet shoulder width apart.

Ha - someone else as fussy as I am about what a true Military Press actually is! Yes, technically it's only a Military Press when your feet are together and the movement is very strict... most pressing movements you see (split stance/feet apart/hip thrust etc) and are refered to as Militaries are not and are other varieties of the Overhead Press.

Personally I have always lifted the bar into position with a clean type movement as doing it that way seems to prepare my body for the load more easily...
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Pingu on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Wow, thanks guys!!! Brilliant!

OK...so it will probably be a version of an overhead press then rather than military! No legs together for me, I would fall flat on my face! :lol:

Res, great tips and I love the walk through! :D but even with a light weight I cant do such a movement very well, and I wouldn't be able to lift what I am capable of shoulders wise because of that. Think I will need to go with Rab's suggestion of the rack.

Mucho grassy arse boys, as always! ;)
Life is too short for boring socks
Pingu
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rorschach on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Marks1972 wrote:and then laugh as people say they are doing seated military presses :D

I resent that! :D
Rorschach
Popular Member

Postby health4ni on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:20 pm

^^ lol

I think BB seated behind the neck presses is fine. I'd say in front of head seated would be difficult and put a lot of pressure on the back due to the way you'd have to move to get your head out of the way.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby xRichx on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Is that due to the arching of the back to bring the chest forward more scott?

Where abouts should the bar come down to on behind the neck seated (or standing for that matter) presses? I'm thinking more the position of a back squat bar position, but I find it quite hard to keep the bar back that far so to not crack the back of my neck, so I quite often miss out the very lower part of the move.
1/2 Iron Man training at present...

BSD54 for a better 5% off your first order than the others offer.
xRichx
Popular Member

Postby health4ni on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:39 pm

xRichx wrote:Is that due to the arching of the back to bring the chest forward more scott?
Yes. I'd say in front of head seated BB presses in an upright position would be very awkward.

xRichx wrote:Where abouts should the bar come down to on behind the neck seated (or standing for that matter) presses? I'm thinking more the position of a back squat bar position, but I find it quite hard to keep the bar back that far so to not crack the back of my neck, so I quite often miss out the very lower part of the move.
I bring the bar down to touch the traps. imo that is fine if your shoulders are in good health and can cope with that flexibility.

Many people don't agree, but I've never had a problem with it. It's also a shed load harder and so the weight used must be lowered.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:59 pm

I dont have a problem going behind the neck either Scott, but i would say its easier in terms of weight you can move than to the front?
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Marks1972 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Id be inclined to agree, i tend not to do seated so i always press to the front, but when i have pressed behind the neck ive found it easier, especially lowering the weight as the traps tighten.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marks1972
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Marks1972 wrote:Id be inclined to agree, i tend not to do seated so i always press to the front, but when i have pressed behind the neck ive found it easier, especially lowering the weight as the traps tighten.

I like Behind Neck Presses too, but most recommend against them now due to a slight increase in strain that they put on the shoulders. Personally I'd say that this is only a problem if the load used is very heavy & that BNP are a good movement for the front and side delts.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rorschach on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:58 am

I only did seated military presses (LOLOL) before I joined a gym with decent DBs. Is there any benefit with BB OH presses over using DBs?
I guess you can press more weight, but lose out on hitting stabalising muscles so much, and you have to reposition the neck.
Rorschach
Popular Member

Return to Beginners Lounge