leptin series

Whether you are anti-fat, pro-fat, pro-carb, or simply want to ask a diet based question, here is the place!

Re: leptin series

Postby Max on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:09 pm

Very read worthy thanks man.
Pb's: Bench:140*10 - DL 260*2 - Squat to // 232.5*3
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:06 pm

agree - alot to learn in that.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Interesting although the general impression it leaves is that if you eat carbs you'll be disease ridden and die of cancer of the entire body.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:14 am

Alex wrote:Interesting although the general impression it leaves is that if you eat carbs you'll be disease ridden and die of cancer of the entire body.

hmm not far off.....if you overeat in carbs

midweek there was a huge article in nearly all the paper on how the human brain is now 10% smaller and we are humans are now also getting smaller etc. If you went to the crux of it - there was one particular macro that seemed to be a potential cause of this.......and the fact we now eat more of it then ever......
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:32 am

i just thought it was quite an interesting little series- and i like the disdain he has for his medical peers :lol:
it isnt like neurosurgeons are at the dumb end of medicine

however- although it does touch on what i have previously mentioned before- pregnenolone, it only looks at disease as opposed to wellbeing, but it is a start- someone has finally fucking mentioned pregnenolone :o

i may actually write to him to enquire about his thoughts on supplementing preg and further down the line progesterone to ensure it provides the building blocks for the hormones.

the carb thing..........that is a strange one really, as i am thinking that the ancient egyptians would be a good starting point as they predominantly ate a carb diet- so would they have seen a reduction in brain size and a prevalence of disease back then? or would this have been offset due to the "manual-ness" of life- ie probably always in a negative energy balance for the day or damn near it
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Tartulho on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Some etnic groups cope better with high carb diets (with hyighish GI), like the chinese. Maybe that plays an important role on the analysis?
All that I say is hypothetically speaking and I do not condone the use of illegal substances. You should also eat your vegetables and use high SPF sunscreen :roll:
Tartulho
Regular Contributor

Postby Alex on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:15 pm

kp1512 wrote:
Alex wrote:Interesting although the general impression it leaves is that if you eat carbs you'll be disease ridden and die of cancer of the entire body.

midweek there was a huge article in nearly all the paper on how the human brain is now 10% smaller and we are humans are now also getting smaller etc. If you went to the crux of it - there was one particular macro that seemed to be a potential cause of this.......and the fact we now eat more of it then ever......

I think key is use of the word moderation and this is lacking throughout. Processed foods is another key element that's sadly lacking. I don't think it's purely down to carbs here, more the overall issue is with processed foods, addatives, preservatives, etc. To me it's a key point that has been completely missed or overlooked as citing carbs as the single cause is taking the easy way out and is an opportunity missed for spreading a broader and more relevant spectrum and spoils an otherwise informative and useful series.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:30 pm

Alex wrote:
kp1512 wrote:

I think key is use of the word moderation and this is lacking throughout. Processed foods is another key element that's sadly lacking. I don't think it's purely down to carbs here, more the overall issue is with processed foods, addatives, preservatives, etc. To me it's a key point that has been completely missed or overlooked as citing carbs as the single cause is taking the easy way out and is an opportunity missed for spreading a broader and more relevant spectrum and spoils an otherwise informative and useful series.

Agree mate

Obesity in the UK and USA is at an all time high

Now we are seeing it in China and India

Do you see who will benefit? Pharma BIG TIME. In the next 10 years you will start to see multiple millions having to be treated for all kinds in Asia.......so someone will be doing well.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Max on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:00 pm

I didn't get a carb hate vibe at all. Just the importance of leptin sensitivity and thus not disrupting various metabolic pathways..
Pb's: Bench:140*10 - DL 260*2 - Squat to // 232.5*3
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:48 pm

some new stuff up on jack kruse's site

premise being- little and often consuming- snacking is actually detrimental- undue stress on the liver

i like this guy- and he certainly seems to know his l'onions
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Leptin is interesting, and definitely much more important than most people give crdiet for in terms of signalling and energy homeostasis... but in those articles he's DEFINITELY well over emphasising certain aspects of how leptin dynamics are affected by carbs, and ignoring other factors that influence leptin... ratios of specific fatty acid balance, general relationship between actvity and energy intake, modern day reductions in leptin modulating phytonutrient intake, relative changes in proportion of intake of resistant starches and insoluble/soluble fiber ratios... even mineral balance can affect leptin significantly ffs.

I get really pissed off with these one horse nutrition 'experts' who have a pet 'cause of all problems'... the sad thing is (to my mind) they are normally actually right in the sense that they have identified a very real problem issue and present some really good info, just like this guy... but are at the same time wrong in that they miss out/ignore/fail to recongnise that ALL aspects of diet and lifestyle inter-relate and there is no one thing in the modern diet (eg carbs, saturated fat, total energy intake) or one specific god/devil hormone (eg leptin, insulin cortisol) that is solely responsible for illnesses...and they also fail to recognise that no anthroplogist has ever said that paleolithic man didn't get 'modern' diseases. The numbers may have been smaller, but then infant mortality was higher due to environmental factors and it's possible that nature weeded out the weak, whereas in the modern world medicine and a much easier environment 'protects' genetic weakness and allows such individuals to live long enough to be a higher percentage of the population and to breed into it... evolutionary pressures on modern humans are very different now to how they were in paleolithic times, and its a certainty (normally hate that word in a scientific context, but its appropriate here) that the human genome is being altered in a negative fashion by the lack of evolutionary pressure to cull the genetically non suitable to the current environment.

Had humans discovered agriculture 10,000 yrs ago but not ever discovered medicine and let genetics and evolution dictate the way the population developed, the population nowadays would probably be mostly those who tolerated carbs well, with the non carb tolerant population pushed out by evolutionary pressure... you caould argue that medicine and healthcare actually keeps genetic weakness in the human genome, and as medicine improves and environment changes due to mans influence, the general health of the population is always going to decline in response due to this absence of evolutionary pressure.

Rant over :mrgreen:
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:51 pm

what do the vast majority of the western world eat.....wouldnt be carbs would it
so i would say he attributes his work to the majority as opposed to the minutiae who have fucked up leptin because of phytonutrients :lol:

again how many in the western world consume correct ratios of fats - what is the correct ratio, is no consensus to my knowledge-
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Diet and Nutrition