Olympic lifting shoes and glute recruitment

Your place to post about exercise technique and research

Olympic lifting shoes and glute recruitment

Postby Karlos on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:54 am

What are peoples thoughts on how olympic lifting shoes affect muscle recruitment in the lower body? Initial thoughts are greater quad recruitment and less posterior chain compared to flats. However, if you consider the hip angle is likely to be increased with no anterior pelvic tilting, you might argue this would maintain a large amount of glute activation.

I've compared both styles; squat to just under parallel in vibrams and ATG in oly shoes and it certainly feels slightly more glute intensive in flats..but not much.

Any thoughts?
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Olympic lifting shoes and glute recruitment

Postby health4ni on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:58 pm

After trying Oly shoes there's no gong back to squatting without them. I have a tight hip and so 1-2" below parallel my hip starts to tuck, so these shoes are excellent to protect me. If you have perfect flexibility & mobility then by all means squat barefoot. But imo that is only relevant with BW and low weights. Start getting BW+BW and more then it is un-natural and so dangerous without protection.

wrt your question I'd have to have a think more.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Olympic lifting shoes and glute recruitment

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:19 pm

I think the stability they bring and also the increased depth with a better posture definitely makes me favour olly shoes
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Return to Exercise Kinesiology and Research