Most important time to have carbs?

Whether you are anti-fat, pro-fat, pro-carb, or simply want to ask a diet based question, here is the place!

Most important time to have carbs?

Postby roadz on Sun May 29, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm trying to lean up a little and am slowly lowering carbs. Just wondering when you guys think carbs are most useful? I'm currently doing around 30 mins fasted cardio most days and some HIIT after weights sessions (if I feel like it). Be good if you could rank them.

Breakfast
Pre-workout
Post-workout shake
Post-workout meal
roadz
Popular Member

Re: Most important time to have carbs?

Postby simon m on Sun May 29, 2011 8:02 pm

Pre workout.

Post workout no real need.

Unless you play a serious sport or do loads of HIIT cardio, it's unlikely you'll need post workout carbs.

From Next week, I'll be posting all the food, cardio, everything I do, so that might help a little...
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Sun May 29, 2011 8:16 pm

roadz wrote:I'm trying to lean up a little and am slowly lowering carbs. Just wondering when you guys think carbs are most useful? I'm currently doing around 30 mins fasted cardio most days and some HIIT after weights sessions (if I feel like it). Be good if you could rank them.

Breakfast
Pre-workout
Post-workout shake
Post-workout meal

For fat loss

Breakfast - 20-30g wholemeal etc
Pre workout - fruit
Post Workout - depends on how low you are cutting cals and how much work you are doing in terms of training and cardio and hiit
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Sun May 29, 2011 8:16 pm

I've got a good idea about it (I think) but just wanted to hear others' views.

For me, pre-workout carbs are more important then post-workout, but I'm enjoying different PWO sources atm (ginger ale/those Warburtons fruity loaves/etc), so I think I'll remove them from other meals in the day to start with. Then remove them from my PWO meal (but not my PWO shake) and then eventually remove them from my PWO shake also.
roadz
Popular Member

Postby kp1512 on Sun May 29, 2011 8:18 pm

roadz wrote:I've got a good idea about it (I think) but just wanted to hear others' views.

For me, pre-workout carbs are more important then post-workout, but I'm enjoying different PWO sources atm (ginger ale/those Warburtons fruity loaves/etc), so I think I'll remove them from other meals in the day to start with. Then remove them from my PWO meal (but not my PWO shake) and then eventually remove them from my PWO shake also.

another thing to be aware of is Leptin - the whole leptin thing is very underrated but is key in ensuring you continue to get lean. Only way you can do that is carbs and refeeds...
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Sun May 29, 2011 8:55 pm

An apple post workout would be good.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby RoB on Sun May 29, 2011 8:56 pm

IMO Carb timing is a load of gumph unless you are you're low carbing or less than 120g carbs a day, and even then it only really matters if you are doing glycolytic exercise 4/5 days a week. Your body just dips into glycogen supplies during exercise and replenishes as and when available. PWO may have some benefits on protein synth but if i recall it's never above and beyond what straight protein will do on it's own. Although I havn't really looked into this stuff in a while.

Personally, outside of refeeds/leptin manipulation as KP said, i don't think nutrient timing really makes a differences in the long term when it comes to leaning up; it's just about hitting your calorie deficit and protein targets for the day, the rest is pretty irrelevant.
RoB
Regular Contributor

Postby roadz on Sun May 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Got any good (read that as simple) info on leptin? My knowledge on the hormonal system is pretty limited (basially, I don't have a clue lol).

I'm not overly worried about nutrient timing, but if I'm gonna cut carbs, I may as well cut them from where I feel they're less useful. Obviously, the bigger picture is more important (macros, deficit, etc) but I may as well try and make some use of timing, even if the difference is minimal, it doesn't require much effort.
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Alex on Sun May 29, 2011 9:07 pm

I think there is some relevance with timing to a degree but more relating to time of day rather than around when you exercise. In general more carbs earlier in the day and taper as you go through and look at say a carb cut off point of 6pm. This is dependant on when you exercise though. The other school of thought is to consume a fair amount of your carb intake after exercise. I wouldn't go immedeately after but maybe 60-90mins.

I would go with the rule that as long as you're not in excess and the carb sources are from whole foods, complex and unprocessed then timings shouldn't be much of an issue.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Sun May 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Personally I try to avoid fructose and sugars in any form these days. I generally get very low amounts of carbs throughout the day (except on refeed days where I'll have about 200g sweet spud) except for post WO where I have 20-40g of WMS.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Sun May 29, 2011 9:52 pm

roadz wrote:Got any good (read that as simple) info on leptin? My knowledge on the hormonal system is pretty limited (basially, I don't have a clue lol).

I'm not overly worried about nutrient timing, but if I'm gonna cut carbs, I may as well cut them from where I feel they're less useful. Obviously, the bigger picture is more important (macros, deficit, etc) but I may as well try and make some use of timing, even if the difference is minimal, it doesn't require much effort.

At a basic level

Leptin decreases when dieting by 50% in as little as 4-7 days. This is the bodies response to it thinking you are starving it and then it channels all efforts to hold on to what it has - hence the historial "its harder to lose weight as you get leaner".

The trick is to have a refeed of carbs and some fats every 4-6th days - no more than 300-400g is needed - the following day or on the same day have a high rep workout.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Sun May 29, 2011 10:53 pm

I still go old school and diet with just my carbs spread thru the day, none pre workout and still a litte post workout.

Im with Rob. If they are low and you are knocking your pan in then it wont matter althugh id void too much later on

something like

50g oats with brekkie

50g rice with lunch

50g sugars post workout

20g with last meal (usualy as kidney beand or simmilar)

other meals are just protein and veg
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am

I prefer having all my carbs pwo. Tried PreWO and feel less alert and aggressive, not sluggish just a bit more relaxed.
On the other hand my morning/preWO meal of eggs, beetroot, peanut butter and coffee is awesome. :D

Try both, as others have said it's more about overall amount, cals and other macro's.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:11 am

Cheers for all the input guys.

For now, I think I will take a similar approach to Rab:

Oats for breakfast
One protein + carb meal (for me, this will be pre-workout on workout days)
Simple carbs PWO
All other meals will be protein + some fats + incidental carbs

Also, gonna start eating more red meat, mostly in the form of chilli. My diet has been very consistent recently, I'm enjoying cardio and generally feeling quite healthy.
roadz
Popular Member

Postby health4ni on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:46 pm

roadz wrote:Most important time to have carbs?
30mins before training & then immediately after and next meal after that. If you're fat then just go for 1st solid meal after training (but make sure it's within 2hrs).
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Diet and Nutrition