Carb cycling?

Whether you are anti-fat, pro-fat, pro-carb, or simply want to ask a diet based question, here is the place!

Carb cycling?

Postby roadz on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:26 pm

I'm trying to do low carb at the moment, but if I'm honest, I'm finding it tough.

I've done a little bit of reading about carb cycling and in theory it sounds good.

This is the article I read:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

Basically, it's low carb, no carb, high carb repeat.

In this article...

High carb = 3 out of 6 meals contain carbs and you can have as much as you feel you need (note: note as much as you can fit in)

Low carb = 1g of carbs per lb of bodyweight, split equally across 3 of 6 meals

No carb = no carb

What do you guys think? Who's tried it and what do you think works best?

I'd like to give some form of carb cycling a go, as I feel, psychologically at least, it will be easier than constant low carb.
roadz
Popular Member

Re: Carb cycling?

Postby kp1512 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Roads

Am doing it now

So mine is

Refeed, Low , Medium, Low, Low, low, Refeed.

My low carb days are 100g and my mediun are 150g and my refeeds are 500g over two meals.

working very well for me. Although i am now upping my carbs a little as i cant power through the cardio as i should.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:19 pm

I pretty much do this instinctively now, it works!
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby Rilla on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:22 pm

Same.

I go close to no carb about 5 days of the week and then get somewhere between 1-500ish on the last to days. I don't really plan it though, it just sort of happens.
I do get 20-30g WMS post workout though.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:21 pm

Rilla wrote:Same.

I go close to no carb about 5 days of the week and then get somewhere between 1-500ish on the last to days. I don't really plan it though, it just sort of happens.
I do get 20-30g WMS post workout though.

thats impressive Rilla man. this week had to up some as was struggling in some of the movements to get them reps so aded higher carbs
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:42 pm

Coop_de_Ville wrote:I pretty much do this instinctively now, it works!

Yeah, I think it could be a good long term eating plan, but I'm just so used to eating carbs all the time.

I think I will give it a go like this:

Mon: Low
Tues: No
Weds: High
Thurs: Low
Fri: No
Sat: High
Sun: Low

I don't know how I'll fare with no carb days but I'll give it a go and see. Any suggestions as to how I should implement cardio into this, as the author of the linked article suggests no/little cardio?
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Rilla on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:16 pm

You'll get used to it in no time.

I used to think I would fall down and die if I didn't get carbs before a workout. Now I regularly do workouts fasted with no dip in performance at all.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Now I regularly do workouts fasted with no dip in performance at all.

Same! It is more of a psychological barrier at first, once your over that it just becomes natural.
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby upright on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:50 am

looked at this a few times back in the day. Euuurgh. NO carb days :( grim! I'd collapse in a heap at my desk...
upright
Super Contributor

Postby Rab on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:19 am

Too much hassle for me to follow a plan like that for no extra benifits i dont think
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 am

TBH, I used to think carb cycling etc is a lot of hassle, but it's really quite simple. I've never weighed my food or anything before, but I'm weighing out carbs now and it's really not much hassle or effort.

I think the benefit for me, is that standard low carb is pretty hard. With an even mix of high, low and no carb days, this averages out to low carb. Having the high carb days in there will really help me psychologically, it just means putting up with two no carb days per week. The low carb days don't bother me that much as they're not actually that low.

I'll give this a go for a while and see how I cope and progress with it. You think 4 weeks is long enough to assess how well it's working?
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Rab on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:27 pm

i dont think you will find it esier than just having lower carbs, i think you may well find that its hader with the constant fluxing in blood sugar with 3 various days of cho intake. once you are low carb you are low carb....the body seems to getused to it and the days i feel really shit on low carbs is only after high carb days when i have a "cheat".

Its defo no hassle measuring out food. i do that constantly. what is a hassle to me is gettign into a rythm or preparing a few days worth of food and having to take into account the various requirements rather than keping it simple and the same for the whole week
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Diet and Nutrition