Shick's Journal

Want to keep an online log of your training? Here is the place

Shick's Journal

Postby Shicky on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:34 pm

Hello all, need a kick up the arse most definitely right now so what better way than to embarrass myself on here.

Current state:

Quite horrified by this as I really didn't think it was quite that bad but alas it is and needs sorted. I've recently been following stronglifts 5x5 as I want to build a strong base before crossing over into more circuit based/antagonist training as frankly I enjoy it more and rest times are for fannies!

Current state is due to another short break there, essentially I thought I was squatting way to wide so tried shoulder width with my ironworks, felt fine and did about 10 sets of 70x5. However when I went into the gym next time my hip was destroyed, so had to rest it a few weeks and now im back squatting, going to stick with a very wide stance as frankly it doesnt hurt while doing this and im best getting the numbers up, can address the stance at a later date. Previous to this I had to get my appendix out which ended up being in the wrong place, nice 15staple job!

So yeah, squats feel fine and im confident the weight will continue up, I have a deadlifting form issue im tweaking - think I will grasp this today, benching is hit and miss - I think the issue is losing tightness in the back when i try to 'explode.' I think I have a weakness in my shoulder which I need to address, advice on this would be much appreciated. I was going to do a couple of sets of DB shoulder pressing after each workout?

Strangely my fitness is still very high in terms of footy/rugby, can easily last the game and im usually one of the most active. Have a lower back issue with slow cardio though, basically get a massive lower back pump after a few mins, currently seeking advice on this. I think its just caused by excessive sitting but as a final year in computer science, I dont have any choice.

Will update with my last few workouts and will be hitting the gym later today.
Simon M - For those who don't know, could you give the definition of a blumpy...
Cleaver - the joy of getting a bj whilst taking a dump
Discount code BSD34 for 5% off your first order :)
Shicky
Popular Member

Re: Shick's Journal

Postby Rilla on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Journal whore.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:13 pm

8/3/11 - Workout B

Squats :( 77.5kg x 5) x5
Push Press : ( 45kg x 5) x5
Deadlifts :( 60kg x 5) x1, ( 80kg x 5) x1, ( 90kg x 5) x2

Performed as Superset:
Decline CG Bench Press :50kg x 10
Standing DB Curls : 15kg x 10

14/3/11 - Workout A

Squats :( 80kg x 5) x5
Bench Press : ( 62.5kg x 5) x5
Lying Row :( 62.5kg x 5) x5

18/3/11 - Workout B

Squats :( 82.5kg x 5) x5
Push Press : ( 47.5kg x 5) x3 - Failed on 3rd Rep of 3rd Set , ( 40kg x 5) x2

20/3/11 - Workout A

Bodyweight: 73.3kg

Squats :( 85kg x 5) x5
Bench Press : ( 65kg x 5) x5 - Failed Last rep of 5th Set
Lying Row :( 65kg x 5) x5 - Shoulder issue prominent
Seated DB Shoulder Press :( 10kg x 12) x1, ( 17.5kg x 10) x2
Last edited by Shicky on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Simon M - For those who don't know, could you give the definition of a blumpy...
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby Shicky on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Rilla wrote:Journal whore.

Better than being a man whore like yourself.....wait... :cry:

Diet wise i've been slack, eating a lot more carbs and generally taking the approach that its best getting food in me than nothing. Due to frequency of football I thought it would be a good idea for gym recovery, above image disputes this. Therefore will tighten up a lot more, less bread, complex carbs only before or directly after a workout.

Going to wait until I stall on the squats then will start adding in supplements. Have creatine and whey waiting to go just. Some caffeine pills to get me alive for morning sessions. May start spin classes in the mornings of off days, boxing has also been a consideration lately.
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby Shicky on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:39 am

23/3/11 - Workout B

Squats :( 85kg x 5) x5
Push Press : ( 47.5kg x 5) x5 - Failed last rep of 4th and 5th set
Deadlifts :( 60kg x 5) x2, ( 80kg x 5) x2

Should have used a higher weight on squats but otherwise fine. Push press still poor, think my shoulders are just weak as I never trained them much due to the state of them from rugby. Would people recommend I do additional work on them every session and whenever I can to bring up the strength of them?

Deadlifts felt better, lost form a bit though, think im on the right track though. Will do a set of two at the end of the next workout to see where Im at
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby julesm on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:57 am

the aliens have been and left a crop circle style pattern in your body hair
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:54 am

25/3/11 - Random Workout - BW 73.4kg

BB Bench :( 65kg x 5) x5 - Failed final rep of 5th set
Chins : (BW x 5) x5
DB Incline Bench :( 22.5kg x 8) x1, (25kg x 8) x2 - Failed last rep of last set
DB Shoulder Press :( 17.5kg x 10) x1, (20kg x 7) x2 - Failed last rep of first set

Decided to save my lower back today as its felt crappy since I went for a run a few nights ago, that lower back pumping issue is worse than ever so doing some tests on soft ground, with pre-stretching etc. Benching just doesnt feel like im doing the same movement each time. I thiink I set up fine and know my q's but basically I just lose tightness in the upper back as a result of the explosive upwards movement....how the hell do u maintain squeezed shoulder blades and a tense upper back when you're trying to explode!? Probably would have made the last rep but I did a lot of warmup sets with 60 to try and get form spot on.....lot of good that did!

Business as usual sunday
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby Shicky on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:54 am

julesm wrote:the aliens have been and left a crop circle style pattern in your body hair

Trying to build myself up to a cheeky austin powers style heart of hair
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby Shicky on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:53 pm

27/3/11 - Workout B

Front Squats :( 40kg x 5) x5
Push Press : ( 47.5kg x 5) x5 - Failed last rep of 4th set
Deadlifts :( 60kg x 5) x2, ( 80kg x 5) x1

Bubble well and truly burst today. Went to the gym with a friend and had him check my form on squats, it appears I am not hitting parallel and im sitting a couple degrees above, needless to say im pretty pissed off as I thought I left these problems behind me. Was trying to force myself down but it just wasn't happening. Decided to go for front squats to ensure I was getting the depth, unfortunately it feels like someone is attempting to choke me with the weight against my throat, not a great issue today but will be as the weight goes up I imagine. Unsure what the hell to do to remedy it, think I just have extremely tight hips and stuggling to free them up. Will hit the stretching with a vengence and hopefully thinks can improve in a short period.

Would box squats be a better idea?

Annoyed to fail again on push press, any links people would recommend to get hold of correct technique? Deadlifts felt a bit better but still not comfortable. I was considering doing the push from the legs only to knee level then returning to the ground? Just to get used to the initial movement then work on the transfer of power to the ass. Would this be advised or am I likely to ruin my back?

Thanks
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby Alex on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Box Squat is worth a go for mobility and just creep the height lower and lower as mobility increases. If Fronts are an issue try Zerchers instead and use a towel to wrap around the bar so save your forearms.

For Deads try doing Clean Pulls as this gets you into a good habit or glute activation. Having done Clean Pull for ages I hit Deads for the first time in maybe 8-10 months and managed 5x180kg purely as my form was a lot better and drive was coming from legs.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:10 am

Sorry alex your advice was not ignored, just been a busy boy these days, last weeks of being a student, its bloody dreadful! I tried again and got very close to parallel so I dropped the weight down and stretching several times daily in order to try and get the back squat sorted, I think its manageable, will maybe film it and stick it up here to get advice. If im still sitting too high will switch to box squats.

Was getting followed about and filmed for a uni project but getting paid I suppose and several UCAS events where I speak on behalf of my subject. Nevermind job interviews, dissertation + final year project due in a month, plenty of other hellish personal life kack too.

Anyway updates:

29/3/11 - Workout A

Squats :( 70kg x 5) x5
Bench Press : ( 65kg x 5) x5
Lying Row :( 60kg x 6) x2, ( 60kg x 7) x1

Machine Hammy and hip stretching after, going to keep this up. Will start posting the figures once I get settled into a process with them.

30/3/11 - Random Workout

Superset x3
Chins :( BW x 8)
Dips : (BW x 10), (+15kg x 8), (+20kg x 6)

Deads :( 60kg x 5) x2, ( 80kg x 5) x2

My housemate is getting filmed also so just did this session as the guy filming was keen, as was the uni to get in as many of the facilities as possible. Was away at the gfs after this so no gym which was gay.

6/4/11 - Workout B

Squats :( 72.5kg x 5) x5
Push Press : ( 42.5kg x 5) x5
Deads :( 60kg x 5) x1, ( 80kg x 5) x2

Lower back issues on deads still, think I might film it but also think I know whats wrong. Dropped the push press weight after 3 failures.

Strongly considering doing GBC or general antagonist training for an 8 week blast. I feel my ability to handle volume has dropped and do not feel my strength going up much though in fairness my poor form issues are mainly to blame. Still if I stick to things I am more comfortable at, get the weights up while maintaining kcals, I will be better placed to bulk up. Tomorrows session will decide, going to drop rest times down a lot to see what happens but still see a change coming, realised summer is soon and I look like shite
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby health4ni on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 am

I think you'd be a perfect person to use Trap Bar deadlifts. You're squatting has always been an issue and this would hit the quads hard and heavy without hip issues. Then RDLs for posterior chain. Trouble is you need to get a Trap Bar.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 am

Long time no see dude, how is mini H4NI getting on?

Yeah i've liked the look of those for years but as you mention sourcing one is the difficulty and if everyone else can manage squats and deads im sure I can sort myself out too. Pretty sure any issues is just caused by me playing games non stop as a kid, a shame like but zero I can do about it except try and correct things from where I am now. Wouldn't mind too much if I could at least just go out for runs and my back remain unaffected.

Will have to sort a session or two with you at some stage, foresee me going back to the kinds of workouts you prescribed me long ago such as GBC
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby health4ni on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:13 pm

Mini-h4ni is great thanks.

Sure, you have my number. My progs are even better now ;)
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:01 pm

So gave stronglifts another try on friday and it bombed, it bombed hard, no point in posting the workout, safe to say its in the bin for now.

Good news is though I did just a random core class at my gym on saturday, all went fine and I thought, 'I bet this fixes my back.' Needing to prove this to myself I decided to do some cardio.

8.5km in 43:02mins - No issues at all with the back, judging from soreness today im not too sure if I need to do some core work before running to get sorted or hip work. My inner hips where I always have tightness problems felt completely different. Going to do a random few classes such as spinning, also considering taking up boxing as I found a boxing gym nearby. First port of call is to figure out if its hips or core causing the running issues. Any recommendations for opening up the inner hips?

Just going to develop my own workout plan and see how it goes for now. 10secs between each exercise, 90secs between each superset/circuit.

10/4/11 - Random arms workout

1a. Overhead Press : 42.5kg - x8, x8, x6
1b. Chins : BW - x8, x8, x6

2a. Close Grip Bench Press : 50kg - x10, x10, x10, x10
2b. Zottman Curls (4sec neg) : 7.5kg - x8, x8, x8, x8

3a. DB Pullovers : 17.5kg - x10, 22.5kg - x10, x10, x10
3b. EZ bar curl : bar+10kg - x15, x15, x15, x15

4a. DB Shoulder Press : 15kg - x10, x10, x10
4b. Leg Press : 100kg - x10, x10, x10

PWO Cardio - 2.5km in 12.43mins?

Going to go running crazy while the back is holding up, today was just a tester to ensure it wasn't going to fall apart. Military Press will go in at the start instead of overhead, was meant to couple with leg press but gym was busier than expected so just made do. Instead of 4th circuit might do a shoulder tri-superset job. Maybe drop zottmans for something that allows more weight. Just wanted a simple workout to get me back into the swing of things, it delivered.
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby health4ni on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Shicky wrote:Any recommendations for opening up the inner hips?
I've always found alcohol does the job ;) :mrgreen:

Where are you training? Queen's?
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:15 am

health4ni wrote:

Where are you training? Queen's?

Haha dirty bast, I'd be worried if you need to ply your missus with booze to get your end! Yeah still training down the PEC, need to make some job decisions before I know where I'll be training after the summer. Going to play rugby league but unfortunately im likely to end up in bloody newry for a few months, urgh :(

What about yourself, between esporta and the boucher road one?

Horrid wee day for northern irish sport
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby Gym-pig on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:48 pm

health4ni wrote:

Pure genius :lol:
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Shicky wrote:What about yourself, between esporta and the boucher road one?
Still at Esporta doing evenings only now as I look after lil h4ni during the day.

Boucher Road one was a farce mate. People running it knew feck all. Had a couple of let downs from other similar type facilities :( It's driven home the fact that you have to do things yourself; can;t rely on anyone else. When we get a house I'm having a garage gym :D
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Is it not a nightmare doing sessions in the evening with ppl using equipment? Too bad about the other gym, it sounded very good equipment wise. I'd adore one of the garage/warehouse gyms with sleds, tires to flip etc, would be immense!
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby Rilla on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Going by the pic, you need to get a penis pump.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:28 pm

^^ lmao

Shicky wrote:Is it not a nightmare doing sessions in the evening with ppl using equipment?
Nah, it's fine.

Shicky wrote:I'd adore one of the garage/warehouse gyms with sleds, tires to flip etc, would be immense!
That's the plan :D
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Sun May 15, 2011 9:45 am

Still going slow and steady, no point whacking up all the numbers. Its been a bit up and down at times, missed 2 workouts since starting again, both legs as per usual. In fairness what puts these at risk most is that I take AGES to get sorted for a leg workout with constant warmups, stretches and lighter sets as still got hip issues. Annoying as one week I can be stoked that everything has gone great but then the next I seem right back to square one.

Last 2weeks of uni so after these exams Im blasting myself to get back in the zone so to speak as lately has been horrid, just sitting in this chair working :(

Think I am now heavier than when I started lifting which is not cool! Potentially off to america in the summer on an internship before starting a grad job. I think its too hard working for me to be on the piss always so hopefully I can get a good three months solid training without being on the piss.

Just need to swallow a glass of HARDEN THE FUCK UP
Shicky
Popular Member

Return to Training Journals