WOD style training?

Your place to post about exercise technique and research

WOD style training?

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Over the last few weeks I have been following a rigid olympic lifting programme from Coach Burgener's site. I do enjoy it and I am getting some good technique improvements from it, but I have been doing a bit of reading into the cross fit style WOD, infact on his site he has an olympic lifting WOD, http://www.mikesgym.org/wod.php.

I am just after a few thoughts on wether this lack of structure would be any good? Saying that, there is always an explosive movement and strength movement but its not periodised.
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Re: WOD style training?

Postby health4ni on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:45 am

It doesn't look like Crossfit style training to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

It depends on what you are trying to achieve Coop. imo if you do Oly lifting then it should be <=6 reps for multiple sets with enough rest to allow you to perform the movement correctly. It's explosive and powerful. That is why Oly lifting can be good for many sports. If you then do smart conditioning in the week too (sprinting etc) then a Crossfit type resistance based training is not needed for you.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 am

I don't think it looks like crossfit at all?

I like the idea of auto-regulation.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... werlifting

I don't know whether you've read it, but although powerlifting related, it gives some good insight to the limitations of set periodisation. Sure periodisation is good to a degree, but it can in also lead you to almost train blindly, ignoring what your body is telling you. Also you can go the other way and I personally wouldn't want to change exercises weekly and I don't really see the benefit.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:32 pm

I think I've said this before, and that is auto-regulation is very good for those that are experienced/advanced trainees. You often see/read that the strongest lifters in the world train this way (Andy Bolton does apparently for example). I think many successful Olympic lifters have too. And mere mortals like us can do too. But you have to be confident that you really do understand your body.

And again, you need to be fairly advanced in the exercises to be performed. I'm certainly not an advanced trainee wrt Oly lifting. My technique and strength in those lifts is not good enough for me to warrant auto-regulation training, even though I could do this with more standard resistance training.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:16 pm

Yeh the autoregulation is more what I am thinking, I really struggle with set programmes as with all the other stuff that is going on (sprint training etc) it is hard to always be at the % recommended or to improve linearly each week.

I am going to try out a 4 day week training plan working with a pool of exercises and rep ranges working along the force velocity curve. So a typical session would pan out as follows:

1.A Jumps, reps of 5

2.A Olympic Lift reps of 1-5 (The full range of lifts from Full Clean to Hang Power Snatch)

3.A Strength Movement reps of 1-5 (Front Squat, Deadlift, Glute bridge etc)

4.A Auxiliary reps of 1-12 (Chins, Dips, Hanging leg raises, Press ups etc).

So in terms of structure not too different than what I have done before but this time it will be working on the quality of the lifts and not being too worried about progressing each week or hitting a set %. Obviously if I feel good I will go heavier, feeling not so good keep it light and quality.
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:32 am

Plan looks good. I would try to make some progression each session though. Just one more rep or 2.5kg heavier is good to go for. Perhaps just focus that progression on the strength movements. Jumps and Oly lifts focus on speed and quality. Aux movements focus on the muscle... and da pump lol
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Yeh totally agree, I think it is important to make progress but at the same time not to set expect gains every week and end up pushing yourself into burn out.
So say for example I do a squat session at 3 reps, the next time I do that 3 rep session I would see how the previous sessions set felt in comparison and then decide how much to go up by.
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Sure. I think you could quite easily do the Wendler 531 concept for the strength part. As in, do your heavy squats in the 531 style. Although if you are wanting to keep reps lowish?? (<=6) then you'll need to start closer to your 531 1RM than is suggested. Still, small weight increments in your case will help.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Yeh I like the look of that
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Return to Exercise Kinesiology and Research