Puy Lentils

Whether you are anti-fat, pro-fat, pro-carb, or simply want to ask a diet based question, here is the place!

Puy Lentils

Postby Alex on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:48 am

Anyone used these before in their cooking? I know they don't break down in the same manner as red lentils but looking at the macro breakdown these appear to be a good and cheap addition to anyones diet.

Could easily make a Dahl with these, especially as they has a peppery taste to them.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Puy Lentils

Postby Spit on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:53 am

Yeah they're good stuff, make a nice change from rice in a packed lunch. They really take on the flavour of whatever you cook them with.
Spit
Dedicated Member

Postby Alex on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:57 am

Nice. Take it most supermarkets stock this variety?
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:55 pm

They're lovely, cook with some peppers, finely chopped onions, garlic and some curry spice.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:41 pm

simon m wrote:They're lovely, cook with some peppers, finely chopped onions, garlic and some curry spice.

I'm thinking of something similar, maybe using a Jalfrezi or Dopiaza sauce base with cooked down tomatoes, onions, garlic and ginger, add chillies and coriander. Can have as is or add in curry spices for a more Tarka Dahl take. I have a really good Jalfrezi recipe I made up which I use for Chicken and freeze so would be easy to add to this as well.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Alex wrote:
simon m wrote:They're lovely, cook with some peppers, finely chopped onions, garlic and some curry spice.

I'm thinking of something similar, maybe using a Jalfrezi or Dopiaza sauce base with cooked down tomatoes, onions, garlic and ginger, add chillies and coriander. Can have as is or add in curry spices for a more Tarka Dahl take. I have a really good Jalfrezi recipe I made up which I use for Chicken and freeze so would be easy to add to this as well.

I bloody starving now - sounds lovely!
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Thinking of another crb source formyself and mightgivethis a shot

QUick cooking and tasty enough without much sauce etc?
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:58 pm

a little spice works well with them
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:51 pm

I like the relatively high protein content too.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Spit on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Alex wrote:I like the relatively high protein content too.

They do a good job of filling you up, for sure. I don't usually cook with bacon, but puy lentils with lardons are bloody gorgeous; you can be quite sparing with the lardons and the lentils will still take on their flavour a treat.
Spit
Dedicated Member

Postby health4ni on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:23 pm

I use them a lot. One of the meals I make for my son is 1 cup puy lentils and 1/2 cup red split lentils (then loads of veg & some potato and sweet potato). I make loads so that I get some for me & the missus too. It's more like a soup actually.

Even though lentils do not need to be soaked, I always soak them overnight, then drain away water and start from there. I find they taste better and are easier to digest. They also soak up the water too.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:28 pm

How long would you say to cook them for on their own? I've seen times ranging from 20-45 mins.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:31 pm

If soaked overnight they're cook quicker. 20mins. If not then slightly longer. I always taste them as I cook them to see if they're right or not. But I also of late have been slightly over-cooking them to ensure they're easier for Finn to eat/digest.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Spit on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Agree with Scott on soaking them overnight- it's also worth scooping off the starchy scum that gathers when you boil them.
Spit
Dedicated Member

Postby roadz on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:14 am

Alex wrote:

Would you mind posting up this recipe mate?
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Alex on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Ingredients

Tumeric
Red Chilli Powder
Cloves
Cardamoms
Ground Cumin
Ground Coriander
Fresh or Dried Coriander
Garam Masala
Fresh or Dried Chilli
Fresh Garlic
Fresh Ginger
Onion
Tomato or Tinned Tomato
Lemon Juice
Chicken

Quantities

I tend to cook up big batched so I use 1kg of Chicken and around 1 tablespoon of the spices, 5-6 Cloves and the same for Cardamoms. Dried Coriander I'll use 2 tablespoons.

Garlic I use 3-4 cloves, Ginger I grate about an inch of the root, 2 chopped Onions, 3-4 Tomato's or 1 Tin although I don't use Tinned myself.

Chilli, Lemon Juice and Corianda is to taste.

Cooking

1. Heat Oil in a pan on a medium heat and add in Cloves and Cardamoms until they start to sizzle.

2. Add in Garlic and cook for 3 mins, then add in Ginger and cook for a further 2 mins.

3. Add Chopped Onions and cook for 5 mins.

4. Add Chicken, Red Chilli Powder and Tumeric. Cook until chicken is browned off.

5. Add Chopped Tomato or Tinned Tomato and allow to simmer with lid on pan for around 10 mins.

6. Add Ground Corinander and Ground Cumin, turn up to high heat and start to reduce the liquid down to desired consistancy. I like mine quite dry so I look for a paste like consistancy.

7. Add Garam Masala, Fresh/Dried Corinada and Lemon Juice, stir in and serve.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Diet and Nutrition