Do I like a good Snatch...

The place to discuss powerlifting and powerbuilding based training!

Do I like a good Snatch...

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:49 am

Don't be dirty :mrgreen:

Have been doing Powercleans, Hangcleans and HC2PP for a while but today decided to have a proper go at Power Snatches and Hang Snatches again after getting inspired by Bennys thread - have tried them before but today had a really serious go... and wow, awesome exercises!

My traps, lower back, delts and core got a serious workout, and am definitely going to try to work these into a routine.

Does anyone else work with this kind of exercises and what are your experiences with them?

Any suggestions on a good way to work them into a strength and explosiveness routine?

Any tips for technique also appreciated as well as other similar exercise suggestions :)
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Do I like a good Snatch...

Postby Rilla on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:28 am

I'd love to snatch, though my technique on cleans is bad enough as is. I stick to snatching KBs. At least for now.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:16 am

I like power hang snatches. I've got a video up in my journal somewhere, i think the technique isn't too hard at all (compared to full snatch). Do shoulder dislocations to ensure you can catch it far enough behind your head and Overhead squats are bound to be very beneficial.

I just do mine once a week at the start of my light (8-12 reps) day. Tbh though, i think you could slip them in once or twice a week at the start of any session. I'd keep reps low, i do 3x3, but might up volume to 3x5.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Karlos wrote:I like power hang snatches. I've got a video up in my journal somewhere, i think the technique isn't too hard at all (compared to full snatch). Do shoulder dislocations to ensure you can catch it far enough behind your head and Overhead squats are bound to be very beneficial.

I just do mine once a week at the start of my light (8-12 reps) day. Tbh though, i think you could slip them in once or twice a week at the start of any session. I'd keep reps low, i do 3x3, but might up volume to 3x5.

I think I've seen your vid but will go back and have a look. Shoulder dislocations are a good idea. I can get them right when not going that heavy on Overhead Squats but when it starts getting tough I find my body wants to keep the bar over head rather than back. This is the bit of form I do need to work on.

This is bascially the Snatch variant I like, although is also good with a full dip into ATG:

Rilla wrote:I'd love to snatch, though my technique on cleans is bad enough as is. I stick to snatching KBs. At least for now.

Was looking at vids of one arm KB Snatches and they look good too. Would have tried them long ago if the local gym had kettlebells!

In respect of a routine am thinking of doing a split like this:

Mon - Pull
Tue - Legs
Wed
Thu - Push
Fri - Olympic Movements
Sat - Plyometric Circuits
Sun

Any thoughts?
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Ideally the snatch should never be pressed out (in Oly lifting that is a fail). It's also safer, although requires better technique; more explosive &/or more dip on the catch &/or less weight.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:44 pm

I like this exercise but save it for the speed sessions and keep it light as I feel power wise you can get enough from the power cleans without the injury potential.
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Return to Powerlifting