ESN blocked at work

Have an idea to make this place better? Throw it in here, or PM the Moderators!

ESN blocked at work

Postby Spit on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 pm

At work we have that Websense program (I work for the City Council) to stop us looking at anything we shouldn't; the iron curtain extends to subjects such as 'supplements and unregulated compounds', 'entertainment' and 'sport', which obviously rules out a fair bit. ESN has never been a problem until earlier this week, when it was denounced as 'sport' and access is now denied.

Is this a setting you've changed on the site KP, and if so can you un-change it please? Or has Websense stitched me up good and proper? :geek:
Spit
Dedicated Member

Re: ESN blocked at work

Postby Alex on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:03 am

Prob picked up on key words.

Have you tried using a proxy?
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:56 am

I dont think anything has been changed - websense works on scanning keywords and associats them with sites which then get added to a black list and white list.

There will have been content / words that were logged in your previous session which websense which has updated its DB to ban the URL and then assign it to a catergory. OR they have decided to ban Sports content which will be odd as youll get issues in other sites that iframe to sports networks

www.hidemyass.com [although Im sure that will be blocked lol] or a host of other free web proxies?
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:38 pm

proxies do work, but trouble is they often cause the traffic to shoot way up due to the way they work. So, they may not see u using ESN but the traffic will spike when you do.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:44 pm

and majority of proxies on the web that are free have sniffers and are run by people who use it as a source of hacking!
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Comments and Suggestions