Vitamin D link to bowel cancer risk

Have some data\research to share? Throw it in here for discussion and persual from all members!

Postby kp1512 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:40 pm

More potential good things about this

Vitamin D - found in cod liver oil - has been linked to reduced bowel cancer risk

Vitamin D - found in cod liver oil - has been linked to reduced bowel cancer risk

People who have more vitamin D in their blood are less likely to develop bowel cancer than those with low levels, researchers said on Friday.

According to a study published in the British Medical Journal, those with the highest levels of the vitamin were at 40% lower risk of developing the disease compared with those with the lowest levels.

It comes after medical experts expressed concern on Thursday about the rising number of cases of rickets - caused by vitamin D deficiency - and called for it to be added to milk and other food products.

The main source of vitamin D is sunlight, through skin exposure, but it is also present in a small number of foods, such as oily fish or cod liver oil.

The research team said that although the latest study provides evidence of a link between vitamin D and bowel cancer, it does not prove that taking vitamin D supplements prevents the disease.

More studies are needed to find out the potential impact on other cancers and the effects of taking extra vitamin D doses, scientists said.

Dr Panagiota Mitrou, science programme manager for the World Cancer Research Fund, said: "This is the biggest ever study on this subject and there is now quite a lot of evidence from studying populations that people who have low levels of vitamin D are more likely to develop bowel cancer.

"The next step is to carry out new clinical trials to try to confirm whether vitamin D supplementation can reduce the risk of bowel cancer and whether there are any harmful effects of higher levels of vitamin D.

"But we need to emphasise that, for the moment, the findings need to be treated with caution and they are certainly not enough evidence to suggest that we should be taking supplements to increase levels of vitamin D.

"The best advice for reducing risk of bowel cancer remains to stop smoking, maintain a healthy weight, be regularly physically active, to eat more fibre and less red and processed meats and to cut down on alcohol."

Source : http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx ... =151834012
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Vitamin D link to bowel cancer risk

Postby Benny on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Interesting read.

I lost my father to bowel cancer in August last year. I can't recall him eating much fish however he did always have his top off then the sun came out. I personally think massive amounts of stress caused by his life going down the ****er infront of him was responsible, not entirely but it didn't help. Obviously nothing to go by of course!

I wonder if when certain nutrients/supplement studies have confirmed to lower the risk of developing cancer by substancial amounts wether a pharmacutical company will develop a 'cancer preventative pill' for the lazy ones among us who can't be bothered to change their lifestyle to suit.

Has anybody got any studies about stress/anxiety affecting physical health and the development of illnesses?
Use discount code 'BSD324' for 5% off your first order.
B - 120KG, S - 170KG, DL - 200KG//490KG -10KG to go.
Benny
ESN Regular

Postby Dtlv74 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:10 pm

Benny wrote:Interesting read.

I lost my father to bowel cancer in August last year. I can't recall him eating much fish however he did always have his top off then the sun came out. I personally think massive amounts of stress caused by his life going down the ****er infront of him was responsible, not entirely but it didn't help. Obviously nothing to go by of course!

I wonder if when certain nutrients/supplement studies have confirmed to lower the risk of developing cancer by substancial amounts wether a pharmacutical company will develop a 'cancer preventative pill' for the lazy ones among us who can't be bothered to change their lifestyle to suit.

Has anybody got any studies about stress/anxiety affecting physical health and the development of illnesses?

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad - bowel cancer got my grandfather too, although in his case it had spread to several other sites too. :(

I have a few links relating to the effect of continued stress hormones on health. Will dig them out and post up later, possibly on a new thread :)
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Benny on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather :(

Yeah by the time it was discovered it has already spread to his liver. Had blocked the small intestine, had a stent which then perforated the bowel a cholostomy them followed. This was shortly after his 52th birthday. Had one lot of chemo (horrible experienced he said) and then sadly passed away on the 20th of August. Looked nothing like my dad and I try not to remember him in that state.

I deffinatley think it's entirely possible for people to actually become fatally ill because of prolonged stress. I don't think it's the sole cause but probaly accelrated the mutation of cells somehow. You sometimes hear of people dieing shortly after their spouse despite being in relatively good health from heart attacks and the likes.
Use discount code 'BSD324' for 5% off your first order.
B - 120KG, S - 170KG, DL - 200KG//490KG -10KG to go.
Benny
ESN Regular

Return to Supplement Research