The mTOR complex 1 suppresses lipolysis.....

Have some data\research to share? Throw it in here for discussion and persual from all members!

The mTOR complex 1 suppresses lipolysis.....

Postby cleaver on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:12 am

Diabetes. 2010 Jan 12. [Epub ahead of print]
The mTOR complex 1 suppresses lipolysis, stimulates lipogenesis and promotes fat storage.

Chakrabarti P, English T, Shi J, Smas CM, Kandror KV.

*Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118.

Objective - In metazoans, TOR (target of rapamycin) complex 1 plays the key role in nutrient- and hormone-dependent control of metabolism. However, the role of TORC1 in regulation of triglyceride storage and metabolism remains largely unknown. Research design and methods - In this study, we analyzed the effect of activation and inhibition of the mTORC1 signaling pathway on the expression of adipose triglyceride lipase (ATGL), hormone-sensitive lipase (HSL), lipolysis, lipogenesis, and lipid storage in different mammalian cells. Results - Activation of mTORC1 signaling in 3T3-L1 adipocytes by ectopic expression of Rheb inhibits expression of ATGL and HSL at the level of transcription, suppresses lipolysis, increases de novo lipogenesis and promotes intracellular accumulation of triglycerides. Inhibition of mTORC1 signaling by rapamycin or by knock down of raptor stimulates lipolysis primarily via activation of ATGL expression. Analogous results have been obtained in C2C12 myoblasts and mouse embryonic fibroblasts with genetic ablation of tubero-sclerosis 2 gene (TSC2). Over expression of ATGL in these cells antagonized the lipogenic effect of TSC2 knock out. Conclusions - Our findings demonstrate that mTORC1 promotes fat storage in mammalian cells by suppression of lipolysis and stimulation of de novo lipogenesis.

Hence leucine makes you fat ;)
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Re: The mTOR complex 1 suppresses lipolysis.....

Postby Craig on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:16 am

or you can't gain muscle without fat :mrgreen:
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:23 am

Craig wrote:or you can't gain muscle without fat :mrgreen:

true enough, just a case of how much innit.

But it does pour scorn on people cutting and taking big doses of leucine between meals though.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 am

mTOR stimulation is so vital though, not just to myofibrillar hypertrophy and new protein synthesis but it also (as part of protein turnover) plays a vital role in anticatabolism. For me if everything else is right, any fat gain from leucine is easily negated by its benefits... and high doses of BCAAs when cutting don't just work in theory but also in practise and without seeming to make fat loss any more noticably difficult, so any lipogenesis and lypolytic supression is surely not that significant?

Could also ask questions of the study, such as were the subjects used in calorie defecit, maintenence or surplus?... the answer might well influence the effect of mTOR on lipids at the time of testing.

mTOR is the daddy for anabolic processes and the BCAAs the strongest isolated nutrient group capable of stimulating it - good stuff them BCAAs. BCAAs do taste like I'd expect my dogs poop to taste though, so i guess nothings perfect :D .
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:42 am

Dtlv74 wrote:mTOR is the daddy for anabolic processes

Which is probably why it suppresses the catabolic processes of lipolysis.

cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 pm

cleaver wrote:
Dtlv74 wrote:mTOR is the daddy for anabolic processes

Which is probably why it suppresses the catabolic processes of lipolysis.

Yep, although iron heads are only interested in it's anabolic benefits to muscle, it's effects are anabolic in general - cell division and growth being as much a part of it as protein synthesis. mTOR activtaion is one that I want to study more... is interesting to a geek like me :ugeek:
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Supplement Research