Effects of agonist-antagonist complex resistance training

Your place to post about exercise technique and research

Effects of agonist-antagonist complex resistance training

Postby cleaver on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:07 pm

J Sports Sci. 2009 Dec 3:1-9. [Epub ahead of print]
Effects of agonist-antagonist complex resistance training on upper body strength and power development.

Robbins DW, Young WB, Behm DG, Payne WR.

School of Human Movement and Sport Sciences, University of Ballarat, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia.

The objective of this study was to examine the chronic effects on strength and power of performing complex versus traditional set training over eight weeks. Fifteen trained males were assessed for throw height, peak velocity, and peak power in the bench press throw and one-repetition maximum (1-RM) in the bench press and bench pull exercises, before and after the eight-week programme. The traditional set group performed the pulling before the pushing exercise sets, whereas the complex set group alternated pulling and pushing sets. The complex set training sessions were completed in approximately half the time. Electromyographic (EMG) activity was monitored during both test sessions in an attempt to determine if it was affected as a result of the training programme. Although there were no differences in the dependent variables between the two conditions, bench pull and bench press 1-RM increased significantly under the complex set condition and peak power increased significantly under the traditional set condition. Effect size statistics suggested that the complex set was more time-efficient than the traditional set condition with respect to development of 1-RM bench pull and bench press, peak velocity and peak power. The EMG activity was not affected. Complex set training would appear to be an effective method of exercise with respect to efficiency and strength development.

Alternating exercises for the win!
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Effects of agonist-antagonist complex resistance training

Postby health4ni on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:23 pm

been doing this for 3yrs and it works well imo
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Was GymBunny about a year ago who pesuaded me to alternate between sets of two exercises - has become standard practise for me now when training antagonists in the same workout. I naturally have a tendency to not rest enough between sets, and doing it this way ensures that I do and as a result keeps my performance better for the whole session.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Spit on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:19 pm

What's a bench pull?
Spit
Dedicated Member

Postby Karlos on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm

I was just explaining to coop why i like to superset exercises. I forgot to mention this...the daddy of all reasons.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Spit wrote:What's a bench pull?

Lie face down of a high bench with bar on floor and pull the bar up. AKA chest supported row.
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Exercise Kinesiology and Research