Jason Ferruggia

If you wish to ask Scott from Health4NI any questions or to check any information or updates then you're in the right place.

Jason Ferruggia

Postby health4ni on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:26 pm

Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Jason Ferruggia

Postby Rilla on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Thanks. :)
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:59 pm

Some good reads, I love reading stuff from people like that. They just say it no matter what... controversial though. Saying Externals are a waste of time? Hmmm I don't know about that one, I know for sure they've helped me with my shoulder health.
..... and you're all set!
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:19 am

Have never heard of the guy but some good info in those articles to be sure.

Disagree on external rotations too, because although they are support muscles and always work in conjunction with the larger muscles of the back, chest and shoulders, they are of higher percentage tonic/slow twitch fibers than the other muscles they work with so they fatigue at heavy loads more quickly in compounds... thats why they are often a limiting factor. Pushing on with the compound exercise then really risks injuring them, but some seperate iso work on them, even if high rep, can strengthen and bring up their capacity to match the other muscles and reduce the injury risk.

Love the pic in the training related stupidity article... :D
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:25 am

I go off what I've tried and tested and I'm 100% certain RC work is beneficial so he's wrong on that one, end of! :D
..... and you're all set!
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:29 am

Bison wrote:I go off what I've tried and tested and I'm 100% certain RC work is beneficial so he's wrong on that one, end of! :D

:D Agree 100%. He does say he used to do the same... maybe his change of mind is more to seem consistent with his other advice which seems to be a lot about working muscles in functional groups rather than in isolation... which is good advice generally. On RC work though we are right and he is wrong :twisted: (lol, says me who is probably half his size...)
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:39 am

I too think RC exercises are useful.

I think he uses other exercises that heavily use the RC muscles though; like ring pressups etc.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Craig on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:14 am

Interesting stuff, I don't understand what he has against front squats, they feel more natural to me than back squats.

Still pretty much read all the site so he must be saying something worthwhile!
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:46 am

I really dislike the way he keeps selling his own super program, that'll build tons of muscle in only 90 days.
That said, there's some good insight and some funny posts. This post is ranked upthere as one of the funniest blog posts I've ever seen.
It's a must read.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:16 am

^^ which one mate. You linked to to the entire 2007/10 posts.

I don't have a problem with someone advertising/pushing their product on their website/blog. I would & do. And since he writes about a lot of good stuff and it's good to read, it hasn't put me nor indeed you off. Nor I think many others.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:10 pm

health4ni wrote:^^ which one mate. You linked to to the entire 2007/10 posts.

I don't have a problem with someone advertising/pushing their product on their website/blog. I would & do. And since he writes about a lot of good stuff and it's good to read, it hasn't put me nor indeed you off. Nor I think many others.

All the shit about Rhodesville. There are two or three versions of that weekend. It's golden.
I have no problems with pushing products - I just think he does it a bit too much - sort of like T-Nation sometimes.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Wonder if his books are actually worth the money.
However entertaining and well written his blog posts are - an entire book is a whole 'nother story. He'd have to be quite a bit more scientific than just "that's what I do, it works" for a book to be worth the read.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:53 pm

Ok, so I went out and bought the book or something and read it all in one sitting at work last night.
Pretty happy I got it at a discount price, cause while it was very inspiring it didn't offer a whole lot of education. His approach is simplistic and can be summed up as: "hit compounds hard, do 1-3 working sets, do extreme stretches, eat lots of good food".
He does have a controversial view on supplements and amount of protein needed, but really - wouldn't pay more than a tenner for the info provided in his main book. Will go through the additional books on supershakes and a few other subjects today.
In short, good read, hardly innovative, very inspiring.
His program would be well suited for someone who has trouble adding mass and/or sticking to a routine. I have neither but still enjoyed the read. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless. :)
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:14 pm

Sometimes the simple things work.

I've not read it entirely, but liked what I read. Sure, it's not necessarily new, but seems robust enough. It is an e-book about gaining muscle and not about training athletes etc, so for me it's a more personal reason for reading it, and I'm gonna give it a crack.

I think it's worth the money. Maybe not for me or you (or many ESN members) since we are quite knowledgeable already. But it's a great "book" to give a 18 year old.. or indeed most of the fellas "working out" lol in the weights area in most health clubs.

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless.
Indeed.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Precisely.

After having read Practical Programming and quite a few other books (and tons of online articles) I just don't find this one stands out for me.
As you said, it's good solid information, though he's a little too fond of wrist curls for my liking. :P
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:19 pm

Yes, I screwed my face up on them. I think it's cos he's only got 6.5" wrists (so her says). Mine are 7" ffs lol
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:11 pm

Gotta say that blog cracked me up. I do like Jason's no nonsense attitude but he is a touch dogmatic about certain things. That said, my wee bro is making superb gains doing Jason-esq training, so it does work for some.
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:20 pm

GymBunny wrote:he is a touch dogmatic about certain things.

Aren't all PT's??

:lol: :lol: :twisted:
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:02 am

Ferrugia is a pretty decent blogger with (in my opinion) a sound view on training as well as nutrition. He does go a bit crazy at times for sure - but then again so does most coaches. He's extremely passionate about hard training, which is something most of us can relate to. As with everything - apply Bruce Lee... ;)
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Health4NI