saturated fat and teachers views!

Want to keep an online log of your nutrition and supplement regime? Here is the place

Re: saturated fat and teachers views!

Postby Dtlv74 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:15 am

health4ni wrote:a very important point to remember here is that she believes she is correct because that is what the majority of the literature she has learnt from, and continues to learn from, says. So why would she not believe that? Indeed, the Govnt and doctors will tell you the same. They are incorrect to blanket statement say that all saturated fats are bad. But there you go. You need to ensure that the answers you give in exam questions and coursework etc are the answers the marker wants to here... sad but true.

btw even cholesterol is a myth... the body produces it in higher amounts as almost a last ditch attempt to "save" itself. It's a preservation act by the body. Also, there was a study this year or last year showing that people with low cholesterol were actually more at risk from heart disease! Anyway, cholesterol is another discussion lol

Yep, agree with all that - most syllabuses are not based on current levels of understanding, and in many cases the teachers who teach them studied originally from an even older syllabus and haven't fully followed research since. Not entirely their fault, they have a helluva lot to do. Also, in this country certainly, so I assume elswhere too, what goes into a curriculum is partly decided by the view of political advisory bodies at the time - or not in the case of the government wanting to put something else out... basically they decided to see things from a 'certain view point' and that's what gets taught and as if the only way of looking at it.

All you've gotta do for now though my friend Hillman is answer the questions as required by the syllabus. Any knowledge you have beyond this that may contradict you'll just have to put aside in your mind - learn what answers they want to hear, nail the exam/assessment, and then continue your own studies and learn more separately if still interested.

Cholesterol is far more complex than just simply saying LDL or high cholesterol is bad - agree there too. An imbalance of HDL and LDL is however always sign that the body isn't functioning properly however... but people get it backwards and often read the high LDL as cause rather than result of a problem as it should be seen. Total triglyceride (and possibly overall cholesterol count and VLDL levels) is more to be concerned about than just LDL.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Hillman on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:53 am

Thanks Guys,
i am not looking forward to my lesson with her 2mrz, think im not going to say any think on the matter unless there is something which i totally disagree with and I feel I will have to put my opium across which yet again she will not like. I don’t intend to argue with her because its going to get me nowhere so like Dtlv74 said im just going to learn what she thinks is write then put this into my assignments and get the mark then carry on my own studies , I don’t think it will be worth the hassle of her to write what I think is write and back it up because so far when me and my mate have done this she has dismissed it.

Health4ni would you happen to have that study or the link to it? As I think we will be doing cholesterol very soon.
Current sups: ***** Guarana and Tyrosine, Vit C, Vit B,Fish Oils and whey!
Hillman
Regular Contributor

Postby Hillman on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:56 am

Alex wrote:Sounds to me that she's using a syllabus from the 1950's to teach you. Not exactly setting a good example to her students if she won't take on board other opinions and views on the subject.

You should get her to sign up here and be educated...

Ye she kept going back to the study in the 1950's if i remember right, i was thinking of giving her this website but i thought better of it when i thought of the arguements she would cause!
Current sups: ***** Guarana and Tyrosine, Vit C, Vit B,Fish Oils and whey!
Hillman
Regular Contributor

Previous

Return to Nutritional and Supplement Journals