Ring Press Ups

If you wish to ask Scott from Health4NI any questions or to check any information or updates then you're in the right place.

Ring Press Ups

Postby Alex on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Although we don't have actual rings at the gym we do have long straps with handles at the ends which I've seen some PT's use in a similar fashion so I'm interested in giving these a try.

Whats the correct body position to be using in relation to distance off the floor between hands, feet and back angle? Do you think that a Fly type movement is possible?
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Ring Press Ups

Postby cleaver on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:29 pm

flyes are defo possible.
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:38 pm

Alex, as cleaver says, flyes are possible. I've done them many times. It's just a case of doing them slowly the first time to minimise risk of injury. Seeing that you're a strong fella I doubt you're have any problems doing them. Don't do them with arms locked though; a slight bend at the elbow is called for. So, lower slowly like into a press-up crucifix as it were, then try to get your hands almost together whilst keeping arms as straight (not locked though) as possible.

With regards to body position etc, as with any press-up type movement you must ensure you are tight around the abs, back, hips and butt. After that, it's just a case of seeing what angles work you the hardest in relation to the desired rep range.

This is what I do:
1. place feet on a slightly elevated level (lowest metal bar from cable crossover machine or even a rbk step) and have the rings very low to the ground (maybe 4-6" off).
2. to make it even harder you can place your feet on a bench and then have the rings even lower in relation to your foot contact point.

Although I've yet to have a go, you can do ring handstand press-ups. You have to sort of wrap your legs around the straps, ensuring the rings are low enough for you to use your fully extended fingers to steady yourself whilst getting in place... or use a friends help.

Hope that helps. Any more questions just let me know.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:41 pm

Positioning wise thats how I imagined but good to get another perspective from someone thats done the movement before. I shall be giving both of these a go next week in my split.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:47 pm

health4ni wrote:
Although I've yet to have a go, you can do ring handstand press-ups. You have to sort of wrap your legs around the straps, ensuring the rings are low enough for you to use your fully extended fingers to steady yourself whilst getting in place... or use a friends help.

That sounds pretty stupid/crazy. Maybe I should get some rings and give them a go... :)
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Max on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 pm

I did ring pressup flyes today (on toes), excellent exercise managed 3 sets of 10 very hard. Especially afte 15 other sets on chest lol
Pb's: Bench:140*10 - DL 260*2 - Squat to // 232.5*3
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Dammit lots of threads/posts recently trying to tempt me into buying a set of these... i sense an opening of my dust and cobweb covered wallet coming closer and closer...
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:21 pm

feck that Det. Be like me and grudge opening your wallet for anything.

I drank a tub of rasperry MP whey crap to save me buying protein for a while there
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Probably a good investment of £70.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:02 am

Alex wrote:Probably a good investment of £70.

70£? No way dude. 55ish tops.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:09 am

Rilla wrote:
Alex wrote:Probably a good investment of £70.

70£? No way dude. 55ish tops.

Cool, maybe I was thinking Euro.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:31 am

yeah, looks like you get free shipping for UK now. They obviously have a supplier here they use.

http://www.ringtraining.com/articles/wo ... rkout.html - some press-up variations.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:58 am

Tons of options on ebay Alex.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:05 am

to be honest if I were to get a set of suspension type training straps now, I'd get the TRX ones. You can do everything that the rings do and more.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Rab wrote:feck that Det. Be like me and grudge opening your wallet for anything.

I drank a tub of rasperry MP whey crap to save me buying protein for a while there

Hehe, lived off Holland & Barrett strawberry whey concentrate (bought only during half price offers) for a while to avoid spending money on decent stuff! I think it might have even had trace levels of protein in it...

For rings what about these Richard suggested? Look pretty good and economical to me.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:23 pm

^^ feck me! I go that DVD for "free", but it now seems to cost £35! It's good, but it's not £35 good.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Issue I see with the TRX ones as that they would be difficult to use in the gym as the 2 straps joint into one where as the rings are kept seperate and easier to wrap over equipment.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:16 am

^^ you can buy TRX with separate straps ;)

tbh they are very similar. I'd go with whatever suits the budget
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:25 am

Can't argue at the price of those rings and I'd imagine the TRX ones to be pricey although I've only seen the ones I mentioned, not the seperate strap ones.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Health4NI