Spewing during exercise... Good for improvement?

Whether its the treadmill, HIIT, Plyometrics, skipping or sled pulling....ask\put it here!

Spewing during exercise... Good for improvement?

Postby xRichx on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:45 pm

Just a quickie, as over the past few weeks I've spewed a few times during two-three sessions, generally my higher intensity interval or hill trainnig.

I'm not placing it down to food/drink intake before exercise or feeling ill in general, as this stays fairly regular before sessions.

It generally happens after around 40-60mins and will come on all of a sudden after a very high intensity section (i.e. steep hill/quick pace). Which leads me to believe it could be something to do with lactic buildup (lactic acidosis)...

Just wondering if it can be a good thing for improving the lactic threshold?
1/2 Iron Man training at present...

BSD54 for a better 5% off your first order than the others offer.
xRichx
Popular Member

Re: Spewing during exercise... Good for improvement?

Postby Alex on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:53 pm

It's due to being in servere oxygen debt and the body will start to divert blood away from non essential areas to supply oxygen to the muscles thats are being worked. When there's a sufficient lack of oxygen/blood supply to the stomach it's reflex action is to contract and make you vomit.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Alex wrote:It's due to being in servere oxygen debt and the body will start to divert blood away from non essential areas to supply oxygen to the muscles thats are being worked. When there's a sufficient lack of oxygen/blood supply to the stomach it's reflex action is to contract and make you vomit.

Exactly what this says :D The oxygen debt causes an increase in adrenal hormones as they help dilate blood vessels... but they also direct the blood supply to essential organs only (brain, heart, liver, lungs, kidneys etc) and the stomach sometimes purges as a reflex.

Can be a pretty gross experience puking while training but i suspect we've all done it...
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:37 pm

I haven't! :)

I think it's more due to the sympathetic neural pathway being on overdrive/parasympathetic neural pathway being inhibited. Same reason why you get a dry mouth when doing hiit or circuit training, everything linked to digestion is reduced. Porbably compounded with the vascular shunt, but i think this is often over exaggerated from what i've read. :geek:
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Cardiovascular Fitness