Amino Acids

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

Amino Acids

Postby Will on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Just a quick question on amino acids (like EEAs, BCAAs, etc....)

You're supposed to take them pre & post work out to get hte best out of them n'est-ce pas? That's easy and not a problem.

However, I've read somewhere (I'll see if I can find it, I think it was a forum of some kind) that there's no need to take them before and that just taking them after and at bed time is more beneficial and all that was required.

Unfortunately my knowledge isn't good enough to really question it, but it seems a bit wrong to me? Surely by taking them before you're giving your body the ability to use them during your workout and gaining the most out of them? No?
Will
Super Contributor

Re: Amino Acids

Postby kp1512 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 pm

Id say before and during if anything mate.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 pm

The way I look at it is their main advantage over other protein sources is they don't need digesting and are rapidly absorbed. I mean if you're eating high protein you'll have plenty and you can always neck a whey protein shake 1 hour pre workout?

With amino acids you can take them immediately pre-workout and PWO and even during. This can be usefull when trying to preserve muscle mass and keep energy levels up during a calorie defecit when trying to lose fat.

I also found EAA's to be helpful with DOMS and they really did reduce the severity.... though some psycho's actually enjoy the pain so how usefull this info is to you I don't know :lol:
..... and you're all set!
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Will on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:40 pm

kp1512 wrote:Id say before and during if anything mate.

You see that's what I always thought... why would anyone say post and at bed time?!
Will
Super Contributor

Postby Bison on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:55 pm

To increase protein synthesis I guess...
..... and you're all set!
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:02 pm

During ftw.

I sip mine at the start, then halfway i glug it down faster. Give my body a helping hand as it undergoes increasing stress.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:21 pm

I'd say pre and post in genenral. If you're training over an hour then during as well.

I'd also take a mix of EAA's and BCAA's rather than one or the other on their own.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Craig on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:38 pm

20min pre and during
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:18 pm

Craig wrote:20min pre and during

Agree, but only during if going past the 60 minute by a fair margin.
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:32 pm

that is a new one even on this old dawg

you'd prob have to look at protein dynamics in all fairness and time of absorption etc

the only reason i can think as to why this is a new rationale is protein signalling during phase1 or phase 2 sleep ?

other than that, the consensus is casein provides a protein bolus

the only other thing i have heard of is during a keto diet either during non carb to stave off catabolism, or during carb up to potentiate insulin etc

would be of interest if you posted where you came across this info will, to try elucidate new reasoning etc
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:22 pm

Pre is more effective than post...

Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise.

Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR.

Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA. ktipton@utmb.edu

The present study was designed to determine whether consumption of an oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement (EAC) before exercise results in a greater anabolic response than supplementation after resistance exercise. Six healthy human subjects participated in two trials in random order, PRE (EAC consumed immediately before exercise), and POST (EAC consumed immediately after exercise). A primed, continuous infusion of L-[ring-(2)H(5)]phenylalanine, femoral arteriovenous catheterization, and muscle biopsies from the vastus lateralis were used to determine phenylalanine concentrations, enrichments, and net uptake across the leg. Blood and muscle phenylalanine concentrations were increased by approximately 130% after drink consumption in both trials. Amino acid delivery to the leg was increased during exercise and remained elevated for the 2 h after exercise in both trials. Delivery of amino acids (amino acid concentration times blood flow) was significantly greater in PRE than in POST during the exercise bout and in the 1st h after exercise (P < 0.05). Total net phenylalanine uptake across the leg was greater (P = 0.0002) during PRE (209 +/- 42 mg) than during POST (81 +/- 19). Phenylalanine disappearance rate, an indicator of muscle protein synthesis from blood amino acids, increased after EAC consumption in both trials. These results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of an EAC solution immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis as a result of increased delivery of amino acids to the leg.

abstract

There are a range of similar studies, also by Tipton and Rasmussen, which show the benefits in more details.

As for pre bed protein feeds am not a big fan of them. The body needs some time without nutrients to allow for hormones to work without influence [of food] and i'd guess also for transport molecules etc to catch a break and replenish. Am not convinced that the body needs to be constantly force fed to function or even grow optimally.
Last edited by Dtlv74 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby RoB on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:59 am

Pre always seems to be better than post, people seem to forget everything takes time to digest. Also its not such a good idea to have a fatty meal anywhere near your training session if you're using them, fats slow down food motility throughout the GI tract.
RoB
Regular Contributor

Postby Will on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:30 am

Ok I remember it was about older people taking it in the evening and not specific to trainers like us! Still can't find the article but thought it was quite interestig at the time hence why I rememebered it! I always take em post and pre but I'll stop taking them before bed now. :)
Will
Super Contributor

Return to Supplements