ALCAR

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

ALCAR

Postby Spit on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:55 pm

I bought some of this on a whim a couple of months back and now I'm looking to drop a couple of pounds I thought it might be time to get stuck in.

-How much should I (weighing about 73kg) take, and when?
-Any side-effects/contraindications I should know about?
-Is it going to make me smell like Ollie?

Any help much appreciated- sorry if this has been covered in a previous thread, I had a quick search and couldn't really find the 'how-to' guide I was after.
Spit
Dedicated Member

Re: ALCAR

Postby ollie on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:18 pm

Serving size - around 2g pre WO should to the trick. I cap my own so its not exact. To me it's probably the worst tasting thing on Earth so you'll want to cap it.

Whether it makes you smell of ammonia is probably dependent on protein intake and how sweaty you get. I sweat like a nun in a field of cucumbers and my diet's about 35% protein, so I smell like a rotting corpse. This is actually a good thing as it probably helps to keep my hole intact.

No sides apart from that. I'm not hugely into stims so for me it's a good supplement. I definitely notice improved focus when I'm taking it, so it's worth it for that alone :)
Last edited by ollie on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Yes I liked ALCAR when i took it a while back... used a simlar dosing to Ollie, 2.5g pre-workout and the same in the mornings.

Is a good idea to cap it - the powder is highly hydrophilic and if you leave it exposed to air for too long you it will suck up loads of moisture and will end up just a puddle of liquid!
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Spit on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:19 pm

Cheers gents, I'll neck some before the gym tonight and see if that stems the tide of ladies flowing in my direction.
Spit
Dedicated Member

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:33 pm

ollie wrote:Whether it makes you smell of ammonia is probably dependent on protein intake and how sweaty you get. I sweat like a nun in a field of cucumbers and my diet's about 35% protein, so I smell like a rotting corpse. This is actually a good thing as it probably helps to keep my hole intact.

If your sweat is really ammonia smelling then you are burning protein for energy and your kidneys are not clearing the by products quickly enough... this often happens either when incomplete proteins are consumed, or not enough carbs are being consumed compared to protein and gluconeogenesis is in overdrive.

To combat the smell, if you don't want to change anything in diet, take electrolyte salts/aspartate salts of magnesium and potassium... will help you flush the ammonia via kidneys and piss it out rather than have you walking around smelling like a babies nappy.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Oggy on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:48 pm

I noticed a very good nootropic effect once I double up the dose to 4-5 grams pre workout, my normal dose was 2 grams and never noticed much, I was just finishing the tub off so I doubled it up. Might get some more as it was probably the best non stim nootropic effect I've felt from a supplement.
Oggy
Becoming-Regular

Postby ollie on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Dtlv74 wrote:
ollie wrote:Whether it makes you smell of ammonia is probably dependent on protein intake and how sweaty you get. I sweat like a nun in a field of cucumbers and my diet's about 35% protein, so I smell like a rotting corpse. This is actually a good thing as it probably helps to keep my hole intact.

If your sweat is really ammonia smelling then you are burning protein for energy and your kidneys are not clearing the by products quickly enough... this often happens either when incomplete proteins are consumed, or not enough carbs are being consumed compared to protein and gluconeogenesis is in overdrive.

To combat the smell, if you don't want to change anything in diet, take electrolyte salts/aspartate salts of magnesium and potassium... will help you flush the ammonia via kidneys and piss it out rather than have you walking around smelling like a babies nappy.

I thought that it could be caused by increased translocation of fats? Typically it does happen when I'm dieting though, which makes sense as protein is the last macro I tend to drop.

Oddly it seems to be much worse when I wear one particular t-shirt. Never have figured that one out.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:40 pm

That might do it too... am not sure and you might well be right. Incomplete proteins can be a definite culprit though, but the aspartate salts are pretty good at limiting it.

Is it a blue t-shirt?
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Here we go smelly folk - linky.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks for the link.

Definitely no problem with fluid intake - I get in at least 4l a day. Never measured but I'd say it's probably closer to 6l (and yes I do use salts). I sweat profusely when training.

It doesn't happen every time I train, which is probably a reflection of my carb cycling at the moment. Interesting in any case.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Supplements