fatburners

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

Re: fatburners

Postby Craig on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:39 am

Dtlv74 wrote:interesting stuff, and you are probably right (jules) that there's not much out there to work on leptin... is an area for future products for sure.

In terms of other things I definitely agree on carb cycling (as opposed to staying very low carb all the time) too as being the best dietary strategy. I think the increased training capactiy granted from controlled carbs allows the body to work harder and so burn fat better overall.

have you carb cycled before?
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:35 am

Dtlv74 wrote:In terms of other things I definitely agree on carb cycling (as opposed to staying very low carb all the time) too as being the best dietary strategy. I think the increased training capactiy granted from controlled carbs allows the body to work harder and so burn fat better overall.

Just curious as this is the approach I generally use and always find conflicting information on how to use carbs. Should I try and hit my higher carb days on workout days (to improve performance) or non-workout days (to prioritise restoring glycogen and gain maximal recovery)?
Simon M - For those who don't know, could you give the definition of a blumpy...
Cleaver - the joy of getting a bj whilst taking a dump
Discount code BSD34 for 5% off your first order :)
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby cleaver on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:32 am

Shicky wrote:
Dtlv74 wrote:In terms of other things I definitely agree on carb cycling (as opposed to staying very low carb all the time) too as being the best dietary strategy. I think the increased training capactiy granted from controlled carbs allows the body to work harder and so burn fat better overall.

Just curious as this is the approach I generally use and always find conflicting information on how to use carbs. Should I try and hit my higher carb days on workout days (to improve performance) or non-workout days (to prioritise restoring glycogen and gain maximal recovery)?

Your highest carb day should be on the day you use most muscles, with the 'extra' carbs being PWO. Generally a leg day or a back day if deadlifting is involved. At least 1 non training day should be minimal carbs.
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:44 pm

Craig wrote:
Dtlv74 wrote:interesting stuff, and you are probably right (jules) that there's not much out there to work on leptin... is an area for future products for sure.

In terms of other things I definitely agree on carb cycling (as opposed to staying very low carb all the time) too as being the best dietary strategy. I think the increased training capactiy granted from controlled carbs allows the body to work harder and so burn fat better overall.

have you carb cycled before?

It's sort of what i do whenever i want to drop a few lbs around the belly - although it's not a highly organised carb cycle. Normally i just drop carbs down to around 100g a day on rest days (and eat them mostly in the morning) and replace the kcals with 50/50 protein/fat. On training days then eat a normal amount of carbs but concentrated around the morning and workout.

Overall kcals i don't actually reduce that much and try to achieve the loss from adding in extra cardio instead (normally running with bursts of sprinting).
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:59 am

Carb cycling is definitely the way forward for fat loss.

Chronic low carbs = less leptin = slower fat loss

The flipside is that chronic high carbs = lower leptin sensitivity = slower fat loss

Obviously that's hugely oversimplified but I think it's a useful way of looking at the problem/solution.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Max on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:58 am

ollie wrote:Carb cycling is definitely the way forward for fat loss.

The flipside is that chronic high carbs = lower leptin sensitivity = slower fat loss

Obviously that's hugely oversimplified but I think it's a useful way of looking at the problem/solution.

I seriouusly can't rate carb cycling enough.
I've gone from 86k to 79 with a 1/4" increase in my arm size! I measured them last night as they where looking chunkey and I was astounded to find they are now allmost 16 1/4 from a smidgen under 16! VERY impressed.
My waist is at 32 relaxed with just under 30" stomach vacume, from a 34 relaxed to 32 vacume.
All in all I've dropped a fair few bf percentiles while defo gaining a cuple pounds of muscle and strength. Obviously aas / t3 (50mcg) combined with eca has played its part but still never happend this drasticaaly to me ever beofore.
As far as my macros they are;
low 75c/350p/30f
med 150c/350p/30f
High 250c/350p/30f

Cheat day where I eat as much as possible in 24 hours once a week, cardio at 2*45 mins a day.
Pb's: Bench:140*10 - DL 260*2 - Squat to // 232.5*3
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:12 pm

Max wrote:

I've gone from 86k to 79 with a 1/4" increase in my arm size! I measured them last night as they where looking chunkey and I was astounded to find they are now allmost 16 1/4 from a smidgen under 16! VERY impressed.
My waist is at 32 relaxed with just under 30" stomach vacume, from a 34 relaxed to 32 vacume.
All in all I've dropped a fair few bf percentiles while defo gaining a cuple pounds of muscle and strength. Obviously aas / t3 (50mcg) combined with eca has played its part but still never happend this drasticaaly to me ever beofore.
low 75c/350p/30f
med 150c/350p/30f
High 250c/350p/30f

Cheat day where I eat as much as possible in 24 hours once a week, cardio at 2*45 mins a day.

I've had similar results in the past as a natural - adding mass whilst losing fat. It's the dream :)
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Max on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:16 pm

ollie wrote:
Max wrote:

low 75c/350p/30f
med 150c/350p/30f
High 250c/350p/30f

I've had similar results in the past as a natural - adding mass whilst losing fat. It's the dream :)

:mrgreen:
Pb's: Bench:140*10 - DL 260*2 - Squat to // 232.5*3
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:49 pm

What about calcium pyruvate? Can't believe i forgot about it. I tried this for a while at high dose (15g daily rather than the suggested 2g daily) and it definitely seemed to do something after a week or so. Unfortunately i only had four weeks worth so can't comment on it's longterm effectiveness.

Some studies:

The effects of pyruvate supplementation on body composition

Pyruvate supplementation of a low-cholesterol, low-fat diet:

Effects of in-season (5 weeks) creatine and pyruvate supplementation
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:42 pm

How many days per week for example should you carb cycle? and i take it that it is different from a cheat day?
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby cleaver on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Coop_de_Ville wrote:How many days per week for example should you carb cycle? and i take it that it is different from a cheat day?

er.... 7 days

Probably 2 high on your hardest training days, 3 mediums, and 2 lows on rest days.
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm on a 5 day cycle at the moment (1 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off, repeat).

1 high carb day, 2 medium, 2 low (on off days when I just do some cardio). Working very well so far.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Previous

Return to Supplements