DL Phenylalanine (DLPA) - Essential Amino Acid

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

DL Phenylalanine (DLPA) - Essential Amino Acid

Postby GymBunny on Fri May 29, 2009 9:08 am

Recently heard this touted as mood improver. It's an EAA and can be converted by a bio-chemical process in the liver to L-tyrosine and subsequently to noradrenaline, L-dopa, and adrenaline. Via a seperate pathway it can be converted to phenylethylamine, a substance that occurs naturally in the brain and appears to improve mood.

Thoughts?
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Re: DL Phenylalanine (DLPA) - Essential Amino Acid

Postby Alex on Fri May 29, 2009 9:14 am

I used to use this PWO with Tyrosine. didn't notice anything in the way of improved mood but as I can be pretty intence and pissy at times anyway I don't find that any such supplement like this and RR do anything for me.

If you're used to stims then it may not do much for you but only one way to see for sure.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Fri May 29, 2009 10:32 am

Alex wrote:I used to use this PWO with Tyrosine. didn't notice anything in the way of improved mood but as I can be pretty intence and pissy at times anyway I don't find that any such supplement like this and RR do anything for me.

If you're used to stims then it may not do much for you but only one way to see for sure.

You're not that bad, although you do pull faces if people are keeoing you waiting which is very funny!
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Fri May 29, 2009 10:59 am

simon m wrote:
Alex wrote:I used to use this PWO with Tyrosine. didn't notice anything in the way of improved mood but as I can be pretty intence and pissy at times anyway I don't find that any such supplement like this and RR do anything for me.

You're not that bad, although you do pull faces if people are keeoing you waiting which is very funny!

That's cute. I suspect a lot of us do them same though. :D
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri May 29, 2009 1:01 pm

GymBunny wrote:Recently heard this touted as mood improver. It's an EAA and can be converted by a bio-chemical process in the liver to L-tyrosine and subsequently to noradrenaline, L-dopa, and adrenaline. Via a seperate pathway it can be converted to phenylethylamine, a substance that occurs naturally in the brain and appears to improve mood.

Thoughts?

Have heard this too but never tried it. The thing that i question is that it works on the adrenal gland stimulating noradrenaline and adrenalin and these are also almost always accompanied by cortisol (as cortisol works synergistically with them and improves adrenaline sensitivity)... and this mix of hormones/neurotransmitters is more about feeling alert and edgy than having an improved mood.

Haven't researched the biochemistry of it though so may be missing something...
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Supplements