EAA's and BCAA's

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

EAA's and BCAA's

Postby kp1512 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:42 pm

So commenting on taking EAA in my journal and a few of you have been doing this with excellent results.

I am keen to reduce my "other" protein intake as i beleive taking the EAA will make a huge difference.

So what do you recommend?

Not long ago Cleaver mentioned something on anything more than 6g is a waste? So would taking it in 6g multiple takes make an impact?

Taking EAA , is it worth taking 4:1:1 BCAA Pre and Post mixed in?

This wont be a long term thing - but more a trial to see if it really is as good as some people say [and what studies have been done]

Anything else worth being mindful of?
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Re: EAA's and BCAA's

Postby health4ni on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:17 pm

For you, I recommend:
12g EAAs & 12g BCAAs (4:1:1) pre & post.

Only take during on a balls-to-the-walls session (legs maybe).

afaik 6g is the "magic" number, i.e. less is pointless. But I've never heard of 6g+ being a waste. In fact, I don't believe that to be the case. I suspect there is an upper limit though. I don't think you need to go above ~15g of either for instance.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:48 pm

health4ni wrote:For you, I recommend:
12g EAAs & 12g BCAAs (4:1:1) pre & post.

Only take during on a balls-to-the-walls session (legs maybe).

afaik 6g is the "magic" number, i.e. less is pointless. But I've never heard of 6g+ being a waste. In fact, I don't believe that to be the case. I suspect there is an upper limit though. I don't think you need to go above ~15g of either for instance.

Interesting - why 12g BCAA out of interest - I WAS going to limit it to 4g 4:1:1 but can easily up it.

What about intra-eaa during the day?

I agree - anything over 15g may be overkill in one taking
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:58 pm

why not 12g BCAAs ;)

I think EAAs & BCCAs go together very well, so just equally it up. Serrano & Richards recommend it. Poliquin loves BCAAs but imo saying someone needs 20g+ is stupid.

EAAs & BCAAs during the day: 6g (enough to do something but not too much to be a waste when not training).
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:02 pm

health4ni wrote:why not 12g BCAAs ;)

I think EAAs & BCCAs go together very well, so just equally it up. Serrano & Richards recommend it. Poliquin loves BCAAs but imo saying someone needs 20g+ is stupid.

EAAs & BCAAs during the day: 6g (enough to do something but not too much to be a waste when not training).

Yeh BCAA without a doubt I found good and helped - but I think anything over the 6-8 if I rem was overkill so limited it but havent done them reg for a while as I wanted to get strength back up without any of this.

Interesting - Ill see what to mix up might go with 10 and 8 as a starting base and 8g 4 times a day.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Mike on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:51 pm

So you want to decrease your protein intake, onnly to increase your amino intake? :?
Mike
Dedicated Member

Postby kp1512 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:21 pm

Mike wrote:So you want to decrease your protein intake, onnly to increase your amino intake? :?

Yes - process to eleminate AA oxidation when there is a higher level of digestion from indirect protein sources.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 pm

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print] Links
Amino Acid Supplementation Increases Lean Body Mass, Basal Muscle Protein Synthesis, and IGF-1 Expression in Older Women.
EAA improved lean body mass and basal muscle protein synthesis in older individuals. The acute anabolic response to EAA supplementation is maintained over time and can improve lean body mass, possibly offsetting the debilitating effects of sarcopenia.

not saying that kp is an old woman or anything :-)
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:38 pm

julesm wrote:J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print] Links
Amino Acid Supplementation Increases Lean Body Mass, Basal Muscle Protein Synthesis, and IGF-1 Expression in Older Women.
EAA improved lean body mass and basal muscle protein synthesis in older individuals. The acute anabolic response to EAA supplementation is maintained over time and can improve lean body mass, possibly offsetting the debilitating effects of sarcopenia.

not saying that kp is an old woman or anything :-)

LOL - there is a better one than that though - Det put one up which was pretty good.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Spit on Mon May 11, 2009 10:32 pm

After breaking my hand seven weeks ago I decided to use that relative 'downtime' as a chance to lose a bit of fat, which has worked well: wasn't exactly tubby before but now you can see some definition in my abs, no idea what my accurate BF% is but it must be in the 10% ballpark.

Anyway, for obvious reasons I didn't bother weighing myself with the cast on, but hopped on the scales in the gym today and got a right shock. I suspected that I would have lost some muscle as well as fat as although my diet has been fairly clean I've had some (accidental) low-calorie days in there and haven't been worrying about protein intake so much recently. Instead, I've gained four pounds!

The only real change I've made in that timeframe was regularly necking EAAs, about 25g a day, most mid-afternoon (sometimes in place of a snack) and intra-workout. I've definitely put some meat on my quads as my knee has improved and I've been able to train them a bit better, but nonetheless there has to be more to it than that, and I can't think of anything besides the aminos that would account for it. I'd hoped that they would help me avoid losing too much muscle but to actually gain several pounds is pretty gobsmacking. 8-)
Spit
Dedicated Member

Return to Supplements