Possible 75% cancer mortality reduction with Vitamin D

Have some data\research to share? Throw it in here for discussion and persual from all members!

Re: Possible 75% cancer mortality reduction with Vitamin D

Postby kp1512 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:16 pm

Alex wrote:
kp1512 wrote:sharing the wealth and all that...seemed a good site - prices good?

http://bigvits.co.uk/products.asp?cid=68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£35 vs $15...

no i mean in general as a supplier they had a lot of vitd supps
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Yeah they are called bigvits so you'd expect that ;)
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 am

kp1512 wrote:
Dtlv74 wrote:Am gonna get me some and dose at 10,000IU daily for the rest of the winter - will drop the dose down when the spring time hits. The research on vit D(3) is pretty compelling.

why so high?

Alex wrote:Lack of sunlight exposure during the winter months - 10000 during winter and 5000 during.

Exactly as Alex says :D .

Also, as you guys know already I have both depression and sleep issues at times, and this dose of D3 is regarded as the best dose for helping with these issues. No danger of toxicity so why not? :)
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:36 am

Dtlv74 wrote:
kp1512 wrote:
Dtlv74 wrote:Am gonna get me some and dose at 10,000IU daily for the rest of the winter - will drop the dose down when the spring time hits. The research on vit D(3) is pretty compelling.

why so high?

Alex wrote:Lack of sunlight exposure during the winter months - 10000 during winter and 5000 during.

Exactly as Alex says :D .

Also, as you guys know already I have both depression and sleep issues at times, and this dose of D3 is regarded as the best dose for helping with these issues. No danger of toxicity so why not? :)

I'm curious, are there absorption issues with D3 requiring a special form, or not?

Also for those wondering, for Vitamin D: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.025 μg cholecalciferol/ergocalciferol. Remember 1IU varies between biological substances
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 am

D3 is the most absorbed of the vit D forms which I think Det highlighted earlier on so the issues are more with D1 and D2, the latter of which is converted to D3.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:52 am

Dr Young wrote:The Right Fats

The assimilation and utilization of vitamin D is influenced by the kinds of fats we consume. Increasing levels of both polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids in the diet decrease the binding of vitamin D to D-binding proteins.

Saturated fats, the kind found in butter, tallow and coconut oil, do not have this effect. Nor do the omega-3 fats.1

D-binding proteins are key to local and peripheral actions of vitamin D. This is an important consideration as Americans have dramatically increased their intake of polyunsaturated oils (from commercial vegetable oils) and monounsaturated oils (from olive oil and canola oil) and decreased their intake of saturated fats over the past 100 years.

In traditional diets, saturated fats supplied varying amounts of vitamin D. Thus, both reduction of saturated fats and increase of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats may contribute to the current widespread D deficiency.

Trans fatty acids, found in margarine and shortenings used in most commercial baked goods, should always be avoided. There is evidence that these fats can interfere with the alkaline buffering systems the body uses to convert vitamin D in the liver.2

1. Bouillon R, Xiang DZ, Convents R, Van Baelen H. Polyunsaturated fatty acids decrease the apparent affinity of vitamin D metabolites for human vitamin D-binding protein. J.Steroid Biochem.Mol.Biol. 1992;42:855-61.

2. Enig, Mary G. Modification of Membrane Lipid Composition and Mixed-Function Oxidases in Mouse Liver Microsomes by Dietary Trans Fatty Acids. 1984. University Microfilms International. Ann Arbor, Michigan.

I've read about this before, that Vit D3 is best with saturated fat (coconut oil is best imo). So, I suggest avoiding a Vit D3 supp that is combined with poly/mono fats.

I'm actually gonna try a 50,000IU capsule just once a week, then add 1000 or 5000IU a day for the rest of the week.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:33 pm

^^ really useful post Scott. Was wondering about what best to take it with only yesterday. Coconut oil is a staple of mine anyway so that works well all round :)

The 50,000IU once a week plus daily top ups sounds like an interesting idea... was reading last night that the body can produce as much as 15,000IU within just a few minutes of exposure to bright sunlight, so can clearly cope with large 'hits' of it.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:06 pm

A bright spark on another forum wrote:Like most medication, cholecalciferol is certainly toxic in excess, and, like Coumadin, is used as a rodent poison for this purpose. Animal data indicates signs of toxicity can occur with ingestion of 0.5 mg/kg (20,000 IU/kg ), while the oral LD50 (the dose it takes to kill half the animals) for cholecalciferol in dogs is about 88 mg/kg, or 3,520,000 IU/kg. An Overview of Cholecalciferol Toxicosis. The American Board of Veterinary Toxicology (ABVT).

This would be equivalent to a 110-pound adult taking 176,000,000 IU or 440,000 of the 400 unit cholecalciferol capsules. Vieth reports human toxicity probably begins to occur after chronic daily consumption of approximately 40,000 IU/day.
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:58 pm

cleaver wrote:
A bright spark on another forum wrote:Like most medication, cholecalciferol is certainly toxic in excess, and, like Coumadin, is used as a rodent poison for this purpose. Animal data indicates signs of toxicity can occur with ingestion of 0.5 mg/kg (20,000 IU/kg ), while the oral LD50 (the dose it takes to kill half the animals) for cholecalciferol in dogs is about 88 mg/kg, or 3,520,000 IU/kg. An Overview of Cholecalciferol Toxicosis. The American Board of Veterinary Toxicology (ABVT).

This would be equivalent to a 110-pound adult taking 176,000,000 IU or 440,000 of the 400 unit cholecalciferol capsules. Vieth reports human toxicity probably begins to occur after chronic daily consumption of approximately 40,000 IU/day.

i remember a thread on another forum about eggs where someone was suggeesting vitamin A and D toxicity when eating three or four a day... can't remember the exact figure, but i worked it out for them that based on the average quantity of those vits in a large egg, they'd have to be eating several hundred a day to come close to any vitamin toxicity issues. :lol:
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Resurrected on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:01 pm

cleaver wrote:

At certain doses (based on bw) chocolate is poisonous to canines due to the theobromine in it. Does that mean it will kill the average homo-sapien? :? So as per usual you can take anything out of context and create some BS.
Thoughts determine what you want... Actions determine what you get!

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Resurrected wrote:
cleaver wrote:

At certain doses (based on bw) chocolate is poisonous to canines due to the theobromine in it. Does that mean it will kill the average homo-sapien? :? So as per usual you can take anything out of context and create some BS.

Nope....but if you ate 21 lb of chocolate in one sitting, you would get the same high as cocaine. You'd die faster from the stomach rupture whilst trying to eat that amount of chocolate than you would get high.
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Resurrected on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Nothing to do with Vit D but as it is research concerning cancer I thought I'd post here rather than create another topic.

An article published online on November 7, 2009 in the journal Breast Cancer Research and Treatment reveals the discovery by scientists at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center that curcumin, a compound derived from the spice turmeric, and piperine from black pepper help inhibit the growth of stem cells that fuel breast cancer.

Stem cells are unspecialized cells that can develop into any type of cell in a particular organ. In their introduction to the article, University of Michigan Medical School clinical lecturer Madhuri Kakarala, MD, PhD, RD and colleagues explain that "The cancer stem cell hypothesis asserts that malignancies arise in tissue stem and/or progenitor cells through the dysregulation or acquisition of self-renewal." According to this hypothesis, the recurrence of cancer after chemotherapy is due to the drugs' ineffectiveness against cancer stem cells. Accordingly, eliminating cancer stem cells and reducing the amount of normal stem cells could decrease cancer risk.

The researchers compared the effects of varying concentrations of curcumin and piperine, alone and in combination, to a control substance administered to cultured breast epithelial cells. The amounts of curcumin and piperine employed were the equivalent of approximately 20 times the potency of what could be consumed through one's diet. They found a reduction in markers for breast stem cells in cultures treated with the lowest concentration of curcumin, and complete inhibition at twice that concentration. Piperine also demonstrated an inhibitory property, although the effects were not as pronounced as those elicited by curcumin. However, the addition of piperine to curcumin resulted in a reduction in stem cells that was greater than either agent alone, while having no effect on normal cell development or viability. “This shows that these compounds are not toxic to normal breast tissue,” Dr Kakarala remarked.

The report is the first to conclude that curcumin and bioperine could help prevent cancer by targeting stem cells. This mechanism has the potential to prevent estrogen-sensitive tumors as well as more aggressive non-estrogen dependent cancers.

“If we can limit the number of stem cells, we can limit the number of cells with potential to form tumors,” Dr Kakarala noted. “Women at high risk of breast cancer right now can choose to take the drugs tamoxifen or raloxifene for prevention, but most women won’t take these drugs because there is too much toxicity. The concept that dietary compounds can help is attractive, and curcumin and piperine appear to have very low toxicity.”

From http://www.lef.org/newsletter/2009/1215 ... rticle&l=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:37 pm

good post - was going to put something up about this...so far id say

I3C / Dim
Grape Seed
Pome Extract
Curcumin
green tea
Na rala
resvertrol
cq10
lycopene
Selenium
Vite
Vitc

id say put them in a cap in loweramounts each and you have created a very credible anti ox, preventative product.

missed anything? just trying to think which other products would be a good addition
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Resurrected on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:44 pm

You could add some greens & also there is some evidence that soya isoflavones help in protection.

Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Aren't tomato's meant to be good as well? Not sure what it is they contain though that would make them so.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Alex wrote:Aren't tomato's meant to be good as well? Not sure what it is they contain though that would make them so.

good one - lycopene
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:14 pm

kp1512 wrote:good post - was going to put something up about this...so far id say

I3C
Grape Seed
Pome Extract
Curcumin
green tea
Na rala
resvertrol
cq10

id say put them in a cap in loweramounts each and you have created a very credible anti ox, preventative product.

missed anything? just trying to think which other products would be a good addition
DIM is probably a better bet than I3C; less reactive (in a negative way), and less absorbable than DIM.

Great list though for sure. I'd personally leave out the green tea. Maybe add some t ocotrienols (Vit E).

Question is: do any compete with each other?

Plus, it would be one very big tablet or you'd have to take a few of them...
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Heh, cue a certain company releasing a product a few months down the line with those ingredients called True Anti-Oxi Pure Evo Max...

Ahem ;)

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:17 pm

it'll cost so much.

I'm gonna try find a link to a good anti-ox along similar lines to that above...
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:20 pm

health4ni wrote:it'll cost so much.

Shhhh, don't ruin it ;)

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Biotics one called Vasculosirt I saw in 2007 was quite powerful: http://www.totalsupplement.net/shop/?shop=1&itemid=2696

AOR's Anti is also good:
1 cap is 305mg, serving size (below) is 4 caps:

R( +)-Lipoic Acid 200mg
Vitamin E-Complex
Tocopherols 350mg
d-alpha-tocopherol 90 IU 60mg
d-beta-tocopherol 5.6mg
d-gamma-tocopherol 200mg
d-delta-tocopherol 85mg
Tocotrienols: 50mg
d-alpha-tocotrienol 15mg
d-beta-tocotrienol 1.7mg
d-gamma-tocotrienol 25.8mg
d-delta-tocotrienol 7.5mg
Vitamin C 420mg
(From Magnesium Ascorbate 500mg) 465mg
(From Ascorbyl Palmitate 50mg) 20mg
Co-Enzyme Q10 30mg
N-Acetyl-Cysteine (N-A-C) 50mg
Flavonoids 200mg
Chirally Pure trans-resveratrol (pharmaceutical) 5mg
(Rosemary standardised extract) 17mg
Providing carnosic acid 1mg
Selenium (Se-methylselenocysteine) 50µg

rrp is £33.10
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:04 pm

health4ni wrote:
kp1512 wrote:good post - was going to put something up about this...so far id say

I3C
Grape Seed
Pome Extract
Curcumin
green tea
Na rala
resvertrol
cq10

DIM is probably a better bet than I3C; less reactive (in a negative way), and less absorbable than DIM.

Great list though for sure. I'd personally leave out the green tea. Maybe add some t ocotrienols (Vit E).

Question is: do any compete with each other?

Plus, it would be one very big tablet or you'd have to take a few of them...

I would suspect Green tea,Pom Extr and grape seed would be similar

But the key would be that youd need lesser amounts. So you could easily have it at 10-25mg each and then run it for 5 days a week.

Good point on the I3C.....

selenioum and vit e good additions

I had been looking for a decent all in one anti ox for ages and you end up having to take 3 odd caps etc to get it all from diff brands or taking them sep.

anyone else got any additions?

I3C / Dim
Grape Seed
Pome Extract
Curcumin
green tea
Na rala
resvertrol
cq10
lycopene
Selenium
Vite
Vitc
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Vit C should be ascorbates and not ascorbic acid.

Natural Astaxanthin
Lutein

Just started taking the above two; was cheap from AOR (4mg & 40mcg respectively per softgel).
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:33 am

Sulforaphane/glucoraphanin. Supposed to work synergistically with lycopene.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Spit on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:05 am

health4ni wrote:Vit C should be ascorbates and not ascorbic acid.

Natural Astaxanthin
Lutein

Just started taking the above two; was cheap from AOR (4mg & 40mcg respectively per softgel).

I've been taking Astaxanthin for about 18 months now after my kinesiologist prescribed it; interestingly the packaging markets it as a sports recovery aid, that's not the reason I started taking it but regardless I now tend to have it PWO, may as well kill two birds with one stone. Hard to say whether it's made a tangible difference to recovery, I do rarely get DOMS now but I think that BCAAs/EAAs have to take most of the credit for that.
Spit
Dedicated Member

PreviousNext

Return to Supplement Research