My Journey To The Gun Show - 2011

Want to keep an online log of your training? Here is the place

Re: My Journey To The Gun Show - 2011

Postby health4ni on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Maybe I've asked before, but why are you so weak on deadlifts?
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 pm

I think it's probably a mixture of things. I tend to deadlift intermittently, so it's been hard to make progress. I think I may also have a weak lower back, and possibly some kind of problem that I probably should get checked out. Ever since I can remember, whenever I've done anything where I have to be bent down, for example cleaning, tidying, etc, my lower back becomes very achey very quickly. Any advice on what to do?
roadz
Popular Member

Postby health4ni on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:53 am

Without sounding too flippant, you need to simply strengthen your back.

Deadlifts are one of the best ways, but perhaps you do have some issues that mean different exercises should be performed initially. Try hyper-extensions. Start off with BW for high reps (20-30 reps). Then add some light weights and keep the form good. There's no prizes for heavy-ass hyper-extensions, so keep it light, high-rep and perfect form.

You probably could do with strenghtening the core too.

Also, KB/DB Swings are excellent at strengthening the posterior chain. BUT you need to be taught how to do them correctly as most people do them wrong. Find a good PT or KB instructor and get them to teach you the swing.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:04 pm

I've only just recently started doing some ab work and I will give DB swings a go, hopefully sort my deadlifting out...

09/02/2011 Full Body

Leg Press
270 x 10
270 x 12
270 x 12

Leg Curl
7 plates x 12
8 plates x 10
8 plates x 10

30 Degree Incline DB press
42 x 8
42 x 6
42 x 8

Hammer Grip Pulldown
11 plates x 10
11 plates x 10
11 plates x 10

EZ Bar Military Press
+30 x 12
+35 x 10
+35 x 10

Calf Press
10 plates x 12
11 plates x 10
12 plates x 10
12 plates x 10

Happy with the DB presses - hoping to get a few reps with the 50's sometime within the next year...
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Rilla on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:06 pm

A PT for learning how to do swings? That seems like overkill.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Interesting that your squat is so much stronger than your deadlift?
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:50 pm

12/02/2011 Full Body

Squats
125 x 8
125 x 8
125 x 8

Bench
90 x 8
90 x 6
80 x 9

Single Arm Plate Loaded Row
40 x 12
40 x 12
40 x 12

Straoght Bar Tricep Pushdown
8 plates x 12
9 plates x 12
10 plates x 12

BB Curls
25 x 12
25 x 12
25 x 12

Left wrist felt a little funny throughout squats and bench, so couldnt really push it with bench. I think I'm gonna try and gets some pics taken soon and then consider cutting and getting leaner than I've ever been before.
roadz
Popular Member

Postby health4ni on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Rilla wrote:A PT for learning how to do swings? That seems like overkill.
Anyone can swing a KB/DB, but not every one does it correctly. You only need one session. Even just 30mins would do. I'd offer the PT cash for just 30mins too ;)
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:15 pm

Was meant to train today but I had a crash last night and my neck and traps are really achey, so it's probably best for me to leave it and see how I feel tomorrow. I just hope this accident gets sorted ASAP because I know 100% it's not my fault, but it just depends on how honest the other guy is.
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Rilla on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:40 pm

health4ni wrote:
Anyone can swing a KB/DB, but not every one does it correctly. You only need one session. Even just 30mins would do. I'd offer the PT cash for just 30mins too ;)

I've spent 100£ an hour on a PT to learn how to snatch a KB, but in my opinion you can teach yourself the swing pretty easily.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:52 pm

roadz wrote:Was meant to train today but I had a crash last night and my neck and traps are really achey, so it's probably best for me to leave it and see how I feel tomorrow. I just hope this accident gets sorted ASAP because I know 100% it's not my fault, but it just depends on how honest the other guy is.

What happened?
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Someone pulled out froma side road and hit me. I went went swerving and almost hit a bollard, luckily I regained control and then pulled over safely. His insurers have called me and admitted liability not long ago though, so that's good.
roadz
Popular Member

Postby simon m on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:05 pm

I thought you had ben rear-ended :lol:
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:30 pm

But what's that got to do with my car crash? lol
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Aren on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:54 pm

I've spent 100£ an hour on a PT to learn how to snatch a KB, but in my opinion you can teach yourself the swing pretty easily.

I partially agree. Very much depends on the individual.

Some of my clients "get it" almost right away, others have taken several sessions to really learn how to nail it. It takes several sessions or quite a few hours practice to teach someone to really execute it with a crisp hip "snap".

As a general rule, the people who struggle most are the ones who also have serious hip activation issues. And guess what? It tends to be guys who have done far too much isolation/machine/bodybuilding style training and no longer understand how to move their body as a system (and continually try to "muscle" it up). By contrast, some highly untrained/unfit individuals who have just joined the gym often get it pretty easily!

I'd been training with KBs for several weeks prior to going on my KB course, and I left the course with an infinitely superior swing. It is the difference between an "OK" swing and a "really good" swing.

Despite all my practice and technical attention, and as good as I am at them, I still know I have a long way to go if I compare my swing with that of a top Girevoy sport athlete. They have a tremendous level of efficiency.
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby simon m on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:19 pm

So what's good about kettle balls then?
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:43 pm

simon m wrote:So what's good about kettle balls then?

There good for holding doors open and some ghay fitness type stuff that homo PT's like to give to their "clients" as its the Emperors new Clothes as you would say

- Cue history lesson on Kettlebells and some Flaming! Bring it! My Biceps can hold y'all back!
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Rab wrote:
simon m wrote:So what's good about kettle balls then?

There good for holding doors open and some ghay fitness type stuff that homo PT's like to give to their "clients" as its the Emperors new Clothes as you would say

- Cue history lesson on Kettlebells and some Flaming! Bring it! My Biceps can hold y'all back!

They do look ghey and the people who use them look like train spotters in the main, so perhaps I'll avoid them
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Aren wrote:

I partially agree. Very much depends on the individual.

Some of my clients "get it" almost right away, others have taken several sessions to really learn how to nail it. It takes several sessions or quite a few hours practice to teach someone to really execute it with a crisp hip "snap".

As a general rule, the people who struggle most are the ones who also have serious hip activation issues. And guess what? It tends to be guys who have done far too much isolation/machine/bodybuilding style training and no longer understand how to move their body as a system (and continually try to "muscle" it up). By contrast, some highly untrained/unfit individuals who have just joined the gym often get it pretty easily!

I'd been training with KBs for several weeks prior to going on my KB course, and I left the course with an infinitely superior swing. It is the difference between an "OK" swing and a "really good" swing.

Despite all my practice and technical attention, and as good as I am at them, I still know I have a long way to go if I compare my swing with that of a top Girevoy sport athlete. They have a tremendous level of efficiency.

Once again, completely missing the point.
By now I think that most of us (even the really dense ones like Rab) understand that you're now a PT that does KBs. That's great for you, seriously I'm very happy for you. Coming on here lecturing people about the wonders of the KB and how they're infinitely more demanding and what not gets old pretty fast.

The point in this case is that roadz needs to strengthen his posterior chain, not develop a perfect, efficient swing. He doesn't NOT want to be a good KB/DB swinger, he wants to be a better DLer. Focus on the goal, not on your own qualifications or agenda. KBs wont save the world and nobody's a superior human being for training with them. Heck, I've trained with KBs for over two years now and I'm by no means strong, freaky or anything in that regard.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 pm

A bit harsh, but I think I agree.

Decided to train tonight and planned on not going heavy, just to get the blood flowing and I really couldn't. Came to shoulders and tried DB pressing 14kg DBs but it was really uncomfortable. Does any one have experience of whiplash type injuries? Did you train through it/around it and what is good for recovery?
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Rab on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:10 am

roadz wrote:A bit harsh, but I think I agree.

Decided to train tonight and planned on not going heavy, just to get the blood flowing and I really couldn't. Came to shoulders and tried DB pressing 14kg DBs but it was really uncomfortable. Does any one have experience of whiplash type injuries? Did you train through it/around it and what is good for recovery?

Get yourself to hospital mate and get checked out. Seriously...today you may get sorer and sorer. Even if you dont...someone ploughs into me im gettign checked out and adding a little something for myself off the fellas insurance
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:47 am

I had mild whiplash one, cleared up quick, but I have very strong neck muscles. Go to the docs for a check up just to get on the record, but you should be a-okey
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Yeah, I've made myself an appointment with the GP - bastards can't fit me in until next Wednesday.

I actually work for one of these ambulance chasing companies, so know the score with regards to making a claim. It's strange though, I always talk to people with these injuries and have always thought that if I had an accident I'd be fine but I'm really suprised by how much stress this accident has put on my body. The past two days I've woken up feeling absolutely knackered.
roadz
Popular Member

Postby simon m on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:56 pm

roadz wrote:Yeah, I've made myself an appointment with the GP - bastards can't fit me in until next Wednesday.

I actually work for one of these ambulance chasing companies, so know the score with regards to making a claim. It's strange though, I always talk to people with these injuries and have always thought that if I had an accident I'd be fine but I'm really suprised by how much stress this accident has put on my body. The past two days I've woken up feeling absolutely knackered.

The car I was in was a wreck around me and I ached a bit for a few days but all was fine, that being said I think that rugby players are used to such things as it estimated that a game of rugby inflicts the same sort of damage as a 30 mph crash in a car, so perhaps my body was acclimatised to such trauma... And I'm well 'Ard and you're ghey! :D :D :lol:
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Rilla wrote:
health4ni wrote:

Indeed. i taught myself how to swing. But that is me. I have no idea as to Roadz athletic ability (lifting heavy weights doesn't mean you'll be any good at teaching yourself how to KB swing for example). Generally, if you can "hinge" (get into the RDL position really) straight away then you'll be 99% ok with swinging a KB. Most people don't get this movement for a while. Any athlete I've ever trained has got it almost instantly. It's a great way to see what people will be like to train.

Like Aren said, I went on a course too and my swing got better. I wasn't doing a couple of things quite right.

I think the KB or DB Swing is great to help build the posterior chain, hence me suggesting it. But you have to do it well (not 100% accurate) to get the benefit. Most people I see who use them don't ever get taught and end up squatting and then standing up with a front raise. That's retarded and plan wrong.

So anyway Roadz, read this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_metabolic_swing
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Training Journals