Morning trainers, what do you eat and when?

Whether you are anti-fat, pro-fat, pro-carb, or simply want to ask a diet based question, here is the place!

Morning trainers, what do you eat and when?

Postby Shicky on Sun May 15, 2011 9:37 am

Having real trouble with morning intake these days and I am not sure at all why as its stuff I used to eat fine before. Perhaps popping a caffeine pill 30minutes before eating maybe didnt help im not sure.

The norm is porridge with fruit and a shake to go with. The shake i've been using is a mates one since its free but my word it tastes dire! Nearly boked in the gym when I burped and tasted it again!

Does anybody not eat anything and rely on the previous day's nutrition? Think I may start trying this, maybe a shake and banana to ensure im not a totally catabolic mess
Simon M - For those who don't know, could you give the definition of a blumpy...
Cleaver - the joy of getting a bj whilst taking a dump
Discount code BSD34 for 5% off your first order :)
Shicky
Popular Member

Re: Morning trainers, what do you eat and when?

Postby Rab on Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 am

I wouldnt train with weights in the morning without food in me...and couldnt! i get hypo easy

minimum for me woul be a whey and oats shake with a bit of milk/cream/oil....but when i train at weekends about 9am sometimes i have some eggs and toast first, then a shake with whey and BSD Glyco Active.

Either that or i have just a wee shake of whey then stop in at Morrisons for a cooked breakfast, coffee and tropicana fresh orange mmmmmm
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun May 15, 2011 11:00 am

Porridge and fruit will likely cause a sugar crash just when you're about to train. That's why you feel shite probably. If it's first thing in the morning then go with a shake. Blend up some protein with some rice milk, spinach & 1/2 avocado etc. Worked well for me when I trained early.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Sun May 15, 2011 11:45 am

Scott what rice milk do you use? i find alot of them too sweet...and would guess to you that would be super sweet with your clean living ways!

Ended up scunnard with it and hit the cow milk again stupidly!
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun May 15, 2011 11:49 am

Rice Dream organic & vanilla.

It is sweet. But I never said I don't liker sweet things... I just avoid them a lot ;)

Rice Dream organic & vanilla is the only one in the UK that I've found that doesn't add sugar.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Sun May 15, 2011 11:57 am

Ill take a look cheers.

Will also help with some carbs too without bloat
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Sun May 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Porridge, whey and fruit causing a sugar crash? Pretty unlikely unless your very insulin resistant i'd say!

Saying that, I have eggs in anchor butter, with a few bits of veg. Then 30 mins before coffee/caffeine with a big teaspoon of natty peanut butter. Works well for me. I tend to rely on glycogen, I feel much better this way than carbs beforehand.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun May 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Karlos wrote:Porridge, whey and fruit causing a sugar crash? Pretty unlikely unless your very insulin resistant i'd say!
Which Shicky probably is. Also, it's quite high in simple carbs (depends what fruit you add I guess), so after the insulin spike there will be a crash.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Sun May 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Quite possible, I never eat anything remotely sugary other than fruit as it wrecks my head.

Will definitely give that a try, thanks scott. Probably going to stop weight training until after my exams as although I want to man up and be able to train no matter whats going on in life, I feel my final exams is not the time to try something different. Only 11 days off though and going to run/skip daily so hopefully can shed some fat while eating sensibly
Simon M - For those who don't know, could you give the definition of a blumpy...
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby health4ni on Sun May 15, 2011 12:56 pm

BW stuff (pressups, chins), hill sprints and skipping will be a great plan.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sun May 15, 2011 4:03 pm

I keep things the same whether I train mornings or lunchtime: Scrambled eggs and oats with water, a little honey and cinnamon and train 90mins after. A good food day helps 24 hours before hand but I find it's not a big issue if this doesn't happen.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Mon May 16, 2011 8:12 am

should say the issue is not being able to get the food into me like before - i.e. taking 45minutes to eat it all instead of 15mins. Then seemingly no matter how long I wait before going to the gym my stomach feels might delicate and I feel like boking pretty much the entire session!
Shicky
Popular Member

Postby simon m on Mon May 16, 2011 9:21 am

When I train early on a Sunday, the most I have before I train is a slice of toast with marmite and it doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me and looking at how much fat you carry, you could miss a few meals lardy boy :lol:
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Diet and Nutrition