Milk

Whether you are anti-fat, pro-fat, pro-carb, or simply want to ask a diet based question, here is the place!

Re: Milk

Postby Jake The Muss on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:54 pm

Whilst I think this is an enjoyable debate/thread I do think that people become over obsessed with the good for you bad for you issue about certain foods. Everything in moderation is the key in my opinion(if only I could do moderation!) :)
http://www.jesterstattoo.com/
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!
Jake The Muss
Super Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:57 pm

@Will: coconut milk. Creamed coconut blocks. They make great milk for porridge. Rice milk is decent too; just don't get the stuff with sugar added. Rice Dream is good.

@GB: make almond milk yourself. Very easy. I'll blog about it soon.

@Chesire: there's always one *shakes fist* :P

So as I say: I like milk's taste and would drink it if it were healthy (in my eyes); but for me it's not.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:58 pm

Will wrote:
Alex wrote:I'd probably enjoy the effects of snorting coke but it doesn't mean I neccessarily should do it.

Anyway I'm happy with having the small amounts found in desserts etc.

Now you're being ridiculous mate :p How can you compare milk with coke?! Or are you just taking the piss? :twisted:

Yes :)
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Will on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Jake The Muss wrote:Whilst I think this is an enjoyable debate/thread I do think that people become over obsessed with the good for you bad for you issue about certain foods. Everything in moderation is the key in my opinion(if only I could do moderation!) :)

have to say I agree with this but anyway I'll never poopoo somone's ideas or reasoning. :)

Scott thanks I'll have to look into that sounds like it could be really nice. :)
Will
Super Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 pm

Agreed Health re the coconut. That's what I was making my museli up with and it tasted so so sooooo many times better than with cow or goat milk.
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:35 pm

the_cheshirecat wrote:Actually, there are loads of reports of orphaned cubs/pups nursed by lactating mothers belonging to other species.
They take the milk out of necessity... part of their instincts to suckle from a willing mother.

the_cheshirecat wrote:We're also the only animal with opposable thumbs to milk other animals, my dog loves both goats milk and cows milk, cats also like cows milk so its the thumb thing thats odd not milk ;)
I don't think we developed opposable thumbs to milk animals.

And dogs will generally eat whatever they're given. And even if they are fussy, don't feed them for a few days and they're lap it up when they get hungry enough. Same with other animals I reckon.

We are the species that drink the milk of animals for "fun".
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Craig on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:02 pm

Yes but my dog says if she could sneak up on a cow and suckle she would give it a go. However the cows run when she sneaks :D
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:33 pm

lol
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby the_cheshirecat on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:56 pm

:roll:
Craig has decided that he has a way to prove he's right.
Therefore, he will make a scientific experiment, offering Fluke and Happy 4 bowls: water, beer, milk, orange juice.
A report will follow soon.
Craig: "you're like my own MILF, only with no kids".
the_cheshirecat
Popular Member

Postby health4ni on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:00 pm

I'd so love it to be Beer.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby the_cheshirecat on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:03 pm

health4ni wrote:I'd so love it to be Beer.

I will so make sure it's alcohol-free beer...
I patched up my share of intoxicated pets, and we have some steep stairs... :?
Craig: "you're like my own MILF, only with no kids".
the_cheshirecat
Popular Member

Postby Bison on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Today I noticed Tesco's selling organic oat milk, it was about £1.20 for 1 litre.

Anyone heard of it or tried it before?
..... and you're all set!
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:14 pm

health4ni wrote:And dogs will generally eat whatever they're given. And even if they are fussy, don't feed them for a few days and they're lap it up when they get hungry enough. Same with other animals I reckon.

We are the species that drink the milk of animals for "fun".

My staffy won't drink plain water, the stubborn git will almost pass out before he'll drink it. Put a little drop of milk into the water and he'll drink the whole bowl!
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:21 pm

Oat Milk actually tastes quite nice. From the bought stuff I prefer Rice milk. Almond milk is available too, but they add agave syrup & maltodextrin. Ok, not terrible, but still not ideal.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Slightly off topic. Recently people were lamenting the lack of non homoginised milk. It would appear that milk from Graham's dairy is pasteurised only.

click here

I've seen it in tesco up here and the hom word is not on the label.
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:40 pm

If there's no mention then it's homogenized Cleaver. If it's not then it will be lablelled non-homogenized and all the cream will be visible at the top.

I got some Channel Island from Tesco yesterday and it had all the cream at the top and when I used it in a cup of tea all the fat could be seen floating on the top. Bought the same stuff again today and no cream and no fat floating on the top of my brew.... no idea what's going on with that milk??
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rorschach on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:44 pm

I like milk, have no bad reactions to it, and see it as a cheap source of calories that don't fill me up much.
Yes, I'd rather drink raw milk, but in the absence of that, I'm happy with supermarket full-fat.
Yes, it might not be as pure as water, but I don't want to live in a bubble, I trust my body to cope with a reasonable amount of crap. :P

I'm more worried about the sugar I eat than the milk.
Rorschach
Popular Member

Postby Dtlv74 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:51 pm

I always opt for the unhomogenized stuff or go for goats milk. Am lucky that I tolerate lactose and milk well. I think that using large amounts for many years as a staple is not a great idea because it can lead to some issues, but in smaller quantities if the rest of diet is ok and the individual has no tolerance problems then it's fine.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:58 pm

Bison wrote:I got some Channel Island from Tesco yesterday and it had all the cream at the top and when I used it in a cup of tea all the fat could be seen floating on the top. Bought the same stuff again today and no cream and no fat floating on the top of my brew.... no idea what's going on with that milk??

GayP must have been in before you yesterday :lol:
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:10 pm

:lol:
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:12 am

Channel Island milk has a lot more fat in it that milk from other breeds, I think it's something like 2x the calories that standard milk has. I can't drink full-fat milk back home as it's like drinking single cream, unless it comes straight from the cow.

No idea why you are not getting the cream on top anymore. As far as I know there are no plans to introduce homogenisation in Guernsey at least. I'll ask. When I read things like this I miss being there. :cry:
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:22 pm

It is strange and puzzling!

Only thing I can think of is maybe that batch was lower in fat than usual for whatever reason? Maybe it was the last bits out of a container and most of the fat had already floated to the top, leaving the less fat at the bottom? I dunno but for a good few weeks there the Tesco Channel Island milk just appeared to be homogenized.

The fact my missus was drinking it says it all as she just will not touch a drink with the non-homogenized milk. She's got a real thing about grease and fat and won't touch it.
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:03 am

Saw this and thought of this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0awf4sinso
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Pain on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:52 am

With a few exceptions (people who are lactose intollerant, allergies or obvious disruption from milk) there is no reason why you can't include milk in a balanced diet.

Here is my take:

-Saying that it's not a 'natural food' is illogical, what is 'natural' to eat anyway? ....our ancestors never evolved eating deep sea fish, as we couldn't access them, does this mean it's bad for me?
Same goes for modern vegetables, none existed in their modern state through much of our evolution, no qualms about recommending these in a healthy diet tho.

The body has evolved to take advantage of as many sources as nutrition as possible, when you think that man has been drinking milk for several thousand years and that milk is a product that is 'designed' (by evolution) to be consumed (as opposed to a plant, which has evolved defense mechanisms against being eating) the naturality argument is blown out of the water (and is pretty meaningless in the first place)

-There are african countries where milk is more of staple than the UK but with almost non existent heart disease.

-Studies like this one, show no link. http://jech.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/59/6/502 (i've actually seen a few studies that show a reduced risk from diabetes with milk drinking, not sure what element would lead to this...mabye the phosphate content?)

-Almost all europeans have the ability to digest milk, a genetic mutation that did not exist in our paleolithic ancestors yet such a strong selection pressure caused it to spread across almost everyone in europe, basically we have been drinking a lot of milk for thousands of years....we were drinking more 100 years ago, before the massive boom in 'modern illness' (heart disease, diabetes etc)

I would recommend a quality, unhomogenized milk just to be on the safe side as there are no benefits to homogenization.
Articles like this mention potential issues http://www.realmilk.com/homogenization.html ...make your own mind up however.

Personally i don't really drink milk, just out of preference...if someone puts it in tea (which i don't really drink) or offers me a milkshake (which i don't really drink) i'll enjoy it, i like channel island milk occaisionally because it's tasty.
I do consume lots of yoghurt however. :)
Pain
Becoming-Regular

Postby kp1512 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:56 am

good post Pain
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Diet and Nutrition