Magnesium

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

Magnesium

Postby Alex on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Interested in where anyone is getting their magnesium from and in what form if supplementing seperately from zinc. Powder would be preferable as it appears to be far more economical.

Found one source for citrate so far but wouldn't mind alternatives.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Magnesium

Postby Resurrected on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:10 pm

I don't supp with it but I just googled magnesium citrate powder and there are loads of places to buy it from.
Thoughts determine what you want... Actions determine what you get!

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Most are cap form though and/or pricey. Also they don't specify the extract % of magnesium from the citrate in most cases which is why I'm asking for known sources.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 pm

why do you prefer to supplement separately with zinc?
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby RoB on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:44 pm

my protein stuff is standardized to 15% elemental mag i think.
RoB
Regular Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:47 pm

To be honest if diet is clean and contains plenty of veg, fruit, nuts, whole grains and sea food I don't think extra magnesium supplementation is necessary.... you can exceed the 400mg RDA by just eating a generous portion of spinach and a large handful of nuts (although to be fair RDAs are closer to the minimum requirement then to the optimum).
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:05 pm

Dtlv74 wrote:To be honest if diet is clean and contains plenty of veg, fruit, nuts, whole grains and sea food I don't think extra magnesium supplementation is necessary.... you can exceed the 400mg RDA by just eating a generous portion of spinach and a large handful of nuts (although to be fair RDAs are closer to the minimum requirement then to the optimum).

From what I've read, athletes have a much higher need for magnesium.
Personally I use NOW Foods magnesium and sodium at the moment. First time supplementing with magnesium except for a run with some MP stuff way back when I was trying to spend everything I had on all sorts of supps.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:34 pm

http://purebulk.com/magnesium-citrate

or

http://purebulk.com/magnesium-gluconate

gluconate is more boiavailable but there it has a lower elemental %
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Good find chopper. Have you used them before?

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Alex wrote:Good find chopper. Have you used them before?

yes. Shit hot service, delivery is relatively cheap and they generally mark it as a gift.

I usually get a kg of citrate and 1/2 kg of zinc gluconate.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Think i'll be placing an order.

How are you dosing them both? I'm thinking maybe 2 doses of 30mg Zinc early in the day and 2 doses of 1g Mag in last 2 meals. Quantities being elemental.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Alex - they were under another name before - you know of them and think you might have ordered before. He just changed the name to Purebulk
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:35 pm

kp1512 wrote:

Alex - they were under another name before - you know of them and think you might have ordered before. He just changed the name to Purebulk

Ah, would make sense and explain why I couldn't find them. Has SN changed too as couldn't find them either but may have been my spelling.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:36 pm

No SN still there as well - spelt Nutraceuticals.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:39 pm

Was how I spelt it but I must have the wrong domain. Doesn't matter anyway.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:39 pm

kp1512 wrote:No SN still there as well - spelt Nutraceuticals.

Spelled too. ;)
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:42 pm

Rilla wrote:
Dtlv74 wrote:To be honest if diet is clean and contains plenty of veg, fruit, nuts, whole grains and sea food I don't think extra magnesium supplementation is necessary.... you can exceed the 400mg RDA by just eating a generous portion of spinach and a large handful of nuts (although to be fair RDAs are closer to the minimum requirement then to the optimum).

From what I've read, athletes have a much higher need for magnesium.
Personally I use NOW Foods magnesium and sodium at the moment. First time supplementing with magnesium except for a run with some MP stuff way back when I was trying to spend everything I had on all sorts of supps.

Yes you are right - although i think a genuinely clean diet is still going to give an athlete enough mg. I worked it out that just through my diet alone i get roughly 1100mg a day already. Extra mg may possibly be of greater benefit - and of course not all that is consumed is bioavailable, but with a diet providing this much already it could only be a low priority supplement when on a limited budget.

The Journal of the international society of sports nutritions stand point on magnesium -
Dietary Supplements and Sports Performance: Minerals
Magnesium

Magnesium is a component of over 300 enzymes, some involved in the regulation of muscle contraction, oxygen delivery, and protein synthesis. Several studies have investigated the effect of magnesium supplementation on performance. Lukaski noted that some earlier studies have shown that magnesium supplementation improved strength and cardiorespiratory function in healthy persons and athletes, but also noted it is unclear as to whether these observations related to improvement of an impaired nutritional status or a pharmacologic effect [14,15]. Lukaski also noted that the study designs limit conclusions about dietary recommendations needed to optimize performance. Newhouse and Finstad [16] also noted that interpretation of the available studies was confounded by differences in research design. Nevertheless, in their meta-analysis of human supplementation studies, they concluded that the strength of the evidence favors those studies finding no effect of magnesium supplementation on any form of exercise performance, including aerobic, anaerobic-lactic acid, and strength activities.

link

I think zinc supplementation is far more important tbh as its much harder to get from food.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:05 pm

Alex wrote:Think i'll be placing an order.

How are you dosing them both? I'm thinking maybe 2 doses of 30mg Zinc early in the day and 2 doses of 1g Mag in last 2 meals. Quantities being elemental.

1/3 to 1/2 g of zinc gluc every morning (so 43 - 65mg elemental per day)

3g mag citrate at night (so 450mg elemental) Plus 1g after every workout.

cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:13 pm

What about magnesium asporotate? (Magnesium Aspartate, Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Orotate)

What's so bad about taking zinc and magnesium together?
..... and you're all set!
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:31 am

cleaver wrote:

lol, Isn't magnesium citrate a laxative?

A good link here comparing the bioavailability of magnesium salts - Magnesium - bioavailability, pharmacokinetics.

The above suggests magnesium L-lactate dihydrate is the best, but it looks hard to get in the uk - although found this from a US store Mag-Tab SR
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:28 am

Dtlv74 wrote:
cleaver wrote:

lol, Isn't magnesium citrate a laxative?

A good link here comparing the bioavailability of magnesium salts - Magnesium - bioavailability, pharmacokinetics.

The above suggests magnesium L-lactate dihydrate is the best, but it looks hard to get in the uk - although found this from a US store Mag-Tab SR

Yes it is.

Thanks for the bulkpowders links. Time to persuade my bro to place an order so he can send it on from the UK. Customs here have taken to seizing everything from the States.

Nice links Det.
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ParaManiac on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:51 am

Bison wrote:What about magnesium asporotate? (Magnesium Aspartate, Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Orotate)

I use these http://yournutritionshop.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=2842

Nothing wrong with taking Zinc and Mag together,however,i believe,amongst the benefits of taking them at seperate times are -

Zinc AM(away from dairy) - AI properties

Mag PM - Split over final 2 meals,calming and aids sleep.
ParaManiac
Regular Contributor

Postby RoB on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:33 pm

ParaManiac wrote:
Bison wrote:What about magnesium asporotate? (Magnesium Aspartate, Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Orotate)

I use these http://yournutritionshop.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=2842

Nothing wrong with taking Zinc and Mag together,however,i believe,amongst the benefits of taking them at seperate times are -

Zinc AM(away from dairy) - AI properties

Mag PM - Split over final 2 meals,calming and aids sleep.

Thats really expensive for mag citrate, 150mg * 180 = 27g. 27g for a tenner is extortionate.
RoB
Regular Contributor

Postby CHEEF!! on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:49 pm

zinc and magnesium are prob the most important supps when training imo as theyre depleted easliy and are the most common deficiant minerals in most peoples modern diets for price some zinc gluc tabs and mag citrate powder are the best bang for your buck imo
EASY WEIGHT JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CHEEF!!
Regular Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:58 am

What form of magnesium did you go for Alex?

Been reading more about magnesium and really speaking should revise some of what I said earlier in this thread.

Typical intake for most people is actually going to be woefully low... just been looking at fairly standard diets (for mineral intake) and most people might just about scrape the rda of roughly 200mg, but that isn't going to cut it if you workout, with a more appropriate daily amount being around 600mg... and you can double that if you smoke.

Had been estimating my own intake was well in excess of this (due to eating lots of spinach, nuts and appropriate sea food) and while it does come in above rda, around 400-500mg a day, it's not as high as I thought it was and certainly not enough for optimum.

Am gonna start supplementing with magnesium (and zinc) in a month or two and think it's an area where its worth paying more to get a good bioavailable product... will probably get some of the magnesium L-lactate dihydrate sent over from the states - looks the best one.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Next

Return to Supplements