"Lean Bulk" Cardio Advice

Whether its the treadmill, HIIT, Plyometrics, skipping or sled pulling....ask\put it here!

"Lean Bulk" Cardio Advice

Postby Rab on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:14 am

So wanting to tighten things up a bit as I was saying in my journal.

Cutting out some of the crap, dropped carbs a little to a more comfy level for me to eat (hate eating carbs) and have been going through more olive and walnut oil. Going to splash out for a bottle of avocado also.

Planning on some am cardio to get things going. starting with about 10min a few times per week. See what happens with that.

If its not enough (doubt it will be quite) then im thinking that going for more mornings per week would be better than increasing the length of the sessions by too much more - plus who wants to be sat on a bike at 5.30am?

Started off things morning with an easy 2 miles (5.5 min) to break into it gently. heart rate only went up to about 80pbm during this.

Mornings are the best time for me as I can always guarantee that I have time in the mornings to get it done. its just a matter of getting out of bed!!!
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Re: "Lean Bulk" Cardio Advice

Postby julesm on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:28 am

i'd add a few things to elicit a greater lipolytic response in addition to exercise, always helps having natures little helpers releasing those ffa's for you to burn whilst exercising at some unearthly hour
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Max on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:42 am

lean bulks are f0r Pums, bulk 0r cut.
Pb's: Bench:140*10 - DL 260*2 - Squat to // 232.5*3
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:09 am

Do 20 mins Cardio and then 5 sets of this, and switch it - so do the 5 sets first and then 20 mins after

3 times a week and youlll be sorted

kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:28 am

I'm with max. Cut for a month or whatever, then do a clean bulk.

Sprinting followed by a 20-30min brisk walk is the best thing i'm doing for fat loss. It's similar to what KP advised, but i prefer sprinting on grass to complexes and the like. Plus sprinting is great for the buttocks. :)

Sprint 70m, rest ~1.5-2mins x 6-8 reps. Rest long enough so you can sprint at full pace for 80% of the track, the last 15m or so you will slow down a lot, but i've found this is best for a nice gradual buildup of lactic acid. Obviously it depends on your fitness though.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:46 pm

Add in 3-5 sets of complexes at the end of every gym session.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Craig on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Eat the peanut M&M's rather than the chocolate only ones ;)
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:50 pm

20 minutes cardio after weight training will help. plus more gentle exercise such as walking at luncg time.

Or just go the drug route!
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Doing some high intensity stuff like complexes after weights is good. Not keen on steady state cardio though.

But tbh if you want to be lean you need to be training at least 6 times a week. 3 weights say and 3 fat-burning type sessions: sprints, complexes, HIIT. Training twice a day (weights one time then some type of smart cardio another) is good.

There's no shortcuts.

Obviously getting food right helps massively, but increasing training frequency is key imo, if you're not blessed with the "natural leanness genes".
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Max on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:55 pm

health4ni wrote:Doing some high intensity stuff like complexes after weights is good. Not keen on steady state cardio though.

But tbh if you want to be lean you need to be training at least 6 times a week. 3 weights say and 3 fat-burning type sessions: sprints, complexes, HIIT. Training twice a day (weights one time then some type of smart cardio another) is good.

There's no shortcuts.

Obviously getting food right helps massively, but increasing training frequency is key imo, if you're not blessed with the "natural leanness genes".

100% agreed.
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:58 pm

While I know the exercises in the video would work very well I'm not so keen on the impact it will have on joints over time.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Surely 6 days of weights & high intensity stuff is too much?
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:08 pm

why?

if you can eat well and recover well, then doing more is even better for getting lean. Keep to 3 weight sessions a week but more cardio type training sessions. They all don't have to be 1hr long. In fact, after a 10mins warmup I'd say that 20-40mins depending on what you're doing is great.

If you want to be ripped, well under 8% BF, more like 5%BF, then you gotta train more. You just have to realise that other training goals (namely strength and size) will be on the back burner.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Not really if its 3 days weights and 3 days HIIT or complex training but you'd have to adjust training style to suit. So more Upper/Lower on the weights side of things. Getting lean isn't the same as putting on mass so needs a different attitude geared more towards maintanance on the weights side.

Is pretty much what I've been doing if you include rugby games and training as HIIT sessions.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:12 pm

^^ indeed. If you wanna be big then you don't really want to do much else other than lift weights.

If you want to be strong it's the same.

Some General Physical Preparedness will certainly help when you go for some widow maker squats etc. But other than 1 day say, then stick to weights.

If you wanna be lean, then train lots with weight (3 times) and cardio style stuff (3+).

If you want all of that then you have to be bloody clever in your programming and eating and recovery. This is what I think most people want and unfortunately it's probably the hardest to achieve. That is being lean, big & strong (naturally). It's quite rare imo.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:39 pm

Well when i say too much, it's too much to maintain strength. I know my leg strength would plummet doing 6 intense training sessions a week.

So don't you believe diet, 3 fullbody weight training & 1 sprint session is enough to get lean (~8%)?
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Karlos wrote:Well when i say too much, it's too much to maintain strength. I know my leg strength would plummet doing 6 intense training sessions a week.

So don't you believe diet, 3 fullbody weight training & 1 sprint session is enough to get lean (~8%)?
For most people no. It depends on your own body though. For me that's fine. For others that have a natural leanness then it's fine. I'm guessing that your body would find it harder to stay at ~8% BF than say ~12% BF. If so, then imo you'd need to do more sessions.

You have to choose what you want to do. Get to 8% BF regardless of anything else, or be stronger and 10-12%?

But you may achieve it; see what happens. If no progress is being made in your timescales then you'll know what to do ;)
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:59 pm

Karlos wrote:Well when i say too much, it's too much to maintain strength. I know my leg strength would plummet doing 6 intense training sessions a week.

What makes you say that at you wouldn't be training your Legs more than 2 times a week directly.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:02 pm

I suppose it does depend what kind of hiit you do, but all the best stuff involves the legs!

I'm going to keep at what i'm doing until xmas, see what progress i've made by then. Then maybe add in a 5th day of hiit, if i'm not as lean as i'd like.
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Max on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Karlos wrote:I suppose it does depend what kind of hiit you do, but all the best stuff involves the legs!

I'm going to keep at what i'm doing until xmas, see what progress i've made by then. Then maybe add in a 5th day of hiit, if i'm not as lean as i'd like.

R0 ch0 mate. Best way.

Me after 7 weeks r0 ch0, s0 easy t00 and y0u d0n't l00se much strength..
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:14 pm

When I say lean bulk, I use that term reluctantly and why its in " "

knowing where I am right now with regard to my supplement regime coming to an end in the next couple of weeks, a cut wouldn't be wise I don't think - so im kinda happy to go into a state of limbo for a little bit/very gentle cut to be sure i dont lose lean tissue...but im not will ing to gain any more fat.

I do appreciate the bulk or cut sentiment and agree.

im training with weights for 1 hour 4x per week. Im not willing to make time to train any more than that as it just eats more and more into your home and social life.

sprints right now are out for me. there only any good on grass and you aint gonna fins any grass you can run on in the west of Scotland mid winter.

Morning cardio on my bike is best suited to me and what i can consistently guarantee i can get done so that's gotta be my weapon of choice for now. Im willing to train of sorts every day but 4x at gym and morning cardio is the max im willing to dedicate to this alone. I have other hobbies & interest to pursue that also require time!

ill take a look at some complexes. That's something I would enjoy and doesn't take much longer at the end of a workout

Need to read through this properly later as i just had a quick scan in work there

Robert Craig
Detail Designer - Piping
0141 957 4802
BVT Surface Fleet Ltd
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Max, were you assisted at the time though? I'm sure the impact on strength wasn't as bad as some but if you were running AAS then it's not a fair comparison.

Karla, not all HIIT has to be cardio based in the traditional sense. Body weight or resistance based complexes are just as effective at shifting body fat while increasing CV capacity and wouldn't have a big impact on strength as long as you keep the sessions short but intense and get good rest.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Max on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Alex yes was, but PrncPles are the same n0?
Pe0ple l00se muscle 0n gear and when n0t f u dnt d!et gradually en0gh 0r c0rrectly...

Thats fne 2 me mate.

30 mns am fasted card0 t0 start wth 6 days a week.

Macr0s:
250/300g P
50/60g F

Week 1-4
l0w 100g c
med 200g c
hgh 300g c
reffeed / cheat day

week 5-8
l0w 75g c
med 150g c
hgh 225g c
reffeed / cheat day

week 9-11
l0w 50g c
med 100g c
hgh 150g c
reffeed 300c

Then g0 lyk;
m0n l
teu m
wed h
thurs l
fr1 m
sat h
sun cheat/ refeed

Cheats eat as much as y0u want and whatever y0u want.

W0rks well and s easy as P!e..
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:23 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, skipping is an easy cheap and effective way to help lose body fat. No gym is required. And it takes 15-30mins depending on current skipping fitness. I tend to go for x skips with the same amount of rest that the x skips takes. So, for me 100 skips take about 40s.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:28 pm

Max wrote:Alex yes was, but PrncPles are the same n0?
Pe0ple l00se muscle 0n gear and when n0t f u dnt d!et gradually en0gh 0r c0rrectly...

Thats fne 2 me mate.

30 mns am fasted card0 t0 start wth 6 days a week.

Macr0s:
250/300g P
50/60g F

Week 1-4
l0w 100g c
med 200g c
hgh 300g c
reffeed / cheat day

week 5-8
l0w 75g c
med 150g c
hgh 225g c
reffeed / cheat day

week 9-11
l0w 50g c
med 100g c
hgh 150g c
reffeed 300c

Then g0 lyk;
m0n l
teu m
wed h
thurs l
fr1 m
sat h
sun cheat/ refeed

Cheats eat as much as y0u want and whatever y0u want.

W0rks well and s easy as P!e..

No, you're right but I'm commenting more on the loss of strength or lack there of that AAS may afford you and the ability to retain a little more muscle mass during this period as you'll be in a far more constant anabolic state.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Next

Return to Cardiovascular Fitness