K-Dawg's Strength training

Want to keep an online log of your training? Here is the place

K-Dawg's Strength training

Postby Karlos on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Currently on a slow cut.I want to drop to below 100kg, at about 105kg at my lightest atm. Also after leaning out abit and im going about this with a low carb approach to diet and abit of HIT along side my bill starr routine.

Going to have to start this new journl on as bad note. Today woke up with a swollen throat and blocked nose, skipped uni, stayed in bed till 11,thought i might train, but then skipped that too and had a total of 2 meals today.

There you go, confession is the first step. When i'm ill or injured i find it hard to stay motivated with my eating, infact i struggle to stay motivated with anything! After a day of fed-upness and doing nothing, tomorrow will be a new day and a new leaf.

No wasting life on computer games, join a pl fed, write a CV (i still havnt got one!) get a better part-time job (preferably in gym to cut fees), keep up with uni work, eat well, train well and enjoy life :D

Damn, i'm going to need good luck with this...
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Re: K-Dawg's Strength training

Postby cleaver on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:25 pm

good luck handsome
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Richard on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:42 pm

Get well soon mate.
Richard
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:43 am

Im feeling great now! im just left wondering if i could have got away with training today...ah well, im not too bothered, it's all easy in the first week and hopefully the extra rest will have me in iron wrestling shape by monday.
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:50 am

Could have easily made you worse mate if you had.

Good luck with it all :)
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby CornishPasty on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Good luck dude.

What made you decide to have a go at a Bill Starr routine?
CornishPasty
Getting keen

Postby Karlos on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:20 am

It was you CP!...na well a lil bit ;) i was after a well periodized programme and something alot different from my previous style. Bill starr/pendlay programme fits the bill.

Im thinking i want to train wednesday/friday/sunday as monday is quite a big day in uni...soo looks like i may be hitting the gym tomorrow to do that friday workout i missed :D

Cold is not entirely gone, but im 85% there..good enough for me.
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby CornishPasty on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:31 am

Good luck with it mate. Have you worked out your 5rms yet?

Would've been great to start my next 5x5 at the same time as you. We could've competed against each other and compared progress during and after we had finished.

Injury has unfortunately put pay to that and I probably won't be starting mine for 2/3 weeks.
CornishPasty
Getting keen

Postby Karlos on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Cheers man. well, i had i rough idea of my 5rms, they may have been slightly conservative, but not much. Unlucky,damn injuries. it would have been good, our squats are very similar, your bench better than mine and my dead better than yours.

Off the gym shortly for week 1 session 3. Will be another easy one.
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:06 pm

Week 1 day 3

Not 100%, but i decided to train today, so i won't have missed any sessions. I feel fine now so im sure i didnt do any harm in training.

Squat

bar x 10
40 x 10
60 x 5
80 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 5
125 x 5
140 x 5
150 x 5 - all easy peasy

Bench

bar x 10
40 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5 - all easy. Trying to get my technique and do what feels best for me. I suppose you can get bogged down with trying to do what the big guys say you should do, but today i just did what felt the easiest and most comfortable.

what i did-
slight arch
feet flat
4th finger on ring
elbows moderately tucked
bar touching lower chest

Pendlay row

bar x 10
40 x 5
60 x 5
80 x 5
80 x 5
80 x 5
80 x 5
80 x 5 - these were easy too.

Dips

6 - oh dear these were pretty poor as you can see.

Chins

4 - these were also bad...

Knakered today. I think the mix of high volume and recovering from illness really wiped me out today. Good to get back in the gym and bring on week 2.
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:19 pm

Good session with the Squats there.

You Bench pretty much the same as me except I have my middle swear finger in the ring while you're a touch narrower?
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks, but I can't wait to be pushing heavy weights again, the 1st two weeks of this programme have you backing off substantially, thats why my weights are submaximal atm, but hopefully it will all be worth it come week 4/5 & 8/9.

Yeah, iv switched alot between all my fingers and i think 4th finger feels the best for me, wider feels like there's too much strain on my shoulder joint and close gets too triceppy.
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Went the gym to do some cardio :o :D

5 minute warmup on treadmill

hangclean -> front squat -> pushpress

bar x 20
30 x 10
40 x 10
50 x 10 - went heavier than i thought i could! Going to up the reps to 15 next week.

HIIT rowing

30 seconds sprint
30 seconds recovery x 8

This was too easy, just couldn't push myself on the rower. Any ideas what exercise would be good for HIIT??

Cardio - treadmill - Hills

level 11 - 10kmph - 10 minutes..

PB on this, wasnt too brutal either.

Not a bad session, i thought since im only weight training thrice a week, i could put a more cardio/strength endurance based session in. If anyones got any ideas what fun exercises i can do that would be great, Im not too familiar with this kind of training. HIIT sprinting on grass is well the best one i've done, but i don't really fancy it this time of year. Grass/sludge + sprinting = a very cold, wet and dirty fat boy.
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Skipping and 30 second sprints are what I did mate...followed by 15-20 mins steady state cardio....worked awesome..sled pulling would be excellent but I couldnt do it anywhere where I am, or ill look a bigger tit than I already am...(which isnt hard)

KP
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Skipping, now there's an option! im sure i will be pretty rubbish at it though.
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Karlos wrote:Skipping, now there's an option! im sure i will be pretty rubbish at it though.

I was....I did 30 second moderate skips and just made them faster and faster as I progressed....but its good fun!...that and running sprints....was all I did....around the block and in the garden and silly hours of the morning!..

KP
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:46 pm

I used to do sprints on the field, and i will definitely do them again when the ground isn't entirely a bog.

Im looking for something which i can do in the gym and i don't fancy skipping due to being stupidly crap at it and making a fool out of myself. People will enjoy watching the biggest deadlifter/squatter in the gym fall flat on his face! :roll:
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:47 pm

Karlos wrote:I used to do sprints on the field, and i will definitely do them again when the ground isn't entirely a bog.

Im looking for something which i can do in the gym and i don't fancy skipping due to being stupidly crap at it and making a fool out of myself. People will enjoy watching the biggest deadlifter/squatter in the gym fall flat on his face! :roll:

Rowing sprints? Tabata?...
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:08 pm

Plyometrics?
Alternating step up jumps are nice for getting the ticker working...
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:33 pm

I did rowing sprints today! due to the limitations of the machine even full exertion was just not hard enough. I used to do squat tabata and it was good but due to problems with my knee, continuous squatting caused some pain :cry: im getting my knee checked out wednesday by the doctor though.

Yeah, plyometrics might be an option i suppose. I'll look into it.
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:30 pm

Bit of bad news. Been the doctors and had an xray and it appears i've got an osteochondroma on my femur! basically a feckin bone tumor! :x It's benign and not causing any problems, so i think i may just leave it. I've got to see what the doctor advises next week, but it's likely i will have to choose between leaving it , riskin a 1-2% malignancy transformation later in life, or get it chopped out and be out of the gym for a possible 4-8 weeks. Apparently these things are pretty common and effect males between the ages of 10-25. Has anyone had an experience with these? directly or with relatives? I feel like a very unlucky boy right now :(
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Boo....

That's some shit dawg.
Can't say I know anything about it, apart from a recent death in my family because of cancer. That was a rather evil kind though. I'd probably go for the operation, 4-8 weeks is nothing compared to the risks - if the tumor turns malignant all of a sudden it'll be alot worse...
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:44 pm

Im not overly worried surprisingly! i probably will choose the surgery, the thought of a 'timebomb' in my leg won't be very nice to have for the rest of my life. Also the surgery is pretty easy given the location and regrowth is less than 3% likely. It's just the recovery and being totally sedentry which will suck balls big time.
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Richard on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Sorry to hear that Karl, at least its benign though mate.

If it was me I think I would go for surgery, if it meant some time out of training - so be it.
Richard
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:47 pm

Karlos

Sorry to the hear that!

Id go for surgery def!...

8 weeks is nothing..your a young dude you got many many years to hump and pump in the gym! :D

KP
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Next

Return to Training Journals