High Strength Fish Oils

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

High Strength Fish Oils

Postby kp1512 on Mon May 11, 2009 10:12 pm

Has anyone tried the Higher Fish Oils?

Ive just taken 5g again and started heating up. As in temp raise. Same thing happened this morning

I assume this is due to the higher EPA/DHA?
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Re: High Strength Fish Oils

Postby RoB on Mon May 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Sounds about right, I've definitely read a study showing that eicosapentaenoic acid up-regulates Uncoupling protein 2 in a concentration dependant manner which would explain the heat being thrown off. Does it through its stimulatory effect on PPAR-alpha from what I remember.
RoB
Regular Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Mon May 11, 2009 10:37 pm

RoB wrote:Sounds about right, I've definitely read a study showing that eicosapentaenoic acid up-regulates Uncoupling protein 2 in a concentration dependant manner. Does it through its stimulatory effect on PPAR-alpha from what I remember.

LOL - I was just reading the UCP stuff as you must have posted.

Interesting.

I see that for optimum effect the increase in EPA and DHA need to be proportional for optimum effect.

Ive not taken them for a while so itll be good to see how they impact me overall. Prob do them at 15-20g a day
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby RoB on Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 pm

Found it:

Polyunsaturated fatty acids stimulate hepatic UCP-2 expression via a PPAR-mediated pathway

Michael B. Armstrong and Howard C. Towle
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Biophysics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

The discovery of homologs of the brown fat uncoupling protein(s) (UCP) UCP-2 and UCP-3 revived the hypothesis of uncoupling protein involvement in the regulation of energy metabolism. Thus we hypothesized that UCP-2 would be regulated in the hepatocyte by fatty acids, which are known to control other energy-related metabolic processes. Treatment with 250 µM palmitic acid was without effect on UCP-2 expression, whereas 250 µM oleic acid exhibited a modest eightfold increase. Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), a polyunsaturated fatty acid, exerted a 50-fold upregulation of UCP-2 that was concentration dependent. This effect was seen within 12 h and was maximal by 36 h. Aspirin blocked the induction of UCP-2 by EPA, indicating involvement of the prostaglandin pathway. Hepatocytes treated with arachidonic acid, the immediate precursor to the prostaglandins, also exhibited an aspirin-inhibitable increase in UCP-2 levels, further supporting the involvement of prostaglandins in regulating hepatic UCP-2. The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor- (PPAR) agonist Wy-14643 stimulated UCP-2 mRNA levels as effectively as EPA. These data indicate that UCP-2 is upregulated by polyunsaturated fatty acids, potentially through a prostaglandin/PPAR-mediated pathway.

uncoupling protein; prostaglandins; energy metabolism; peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/conte ... 81/6/E1197

Although it doesn't discuss DHA though.
RoB
Regular Contributor

Postby simon m on Mon May 11, 2009 11:02 pm

I'm taking the omega 3 plus Narala and defo getting hotter.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 pm

simon m wrote:I'm taking the omega 3 plus Narala and defo getting hotter.

Aha! We have found the cause of climate change.

Fish oils do seem to have a thermogenic effect.
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Mon May 11, 2009 11:59 pm

Interesting! I've got a batch of those high strength ones here but will be another 2-3 weeks before my old stock runs out. 15-20 of the high strength seems like an awful lot though? I usually have about 15g a day, 10 of that from normal strength fish oil caps. I do sweat easily but thought that was just me.
..... and you're all set!
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Tue May 12, 2009 12:03 am

Ill prob limit them to 15g which will be just over 30g of the normal ones and see how it goes.

If not Ill reduce to maybe 10g
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Tue May 12, 2009 12:09 am

See I'm thinking at the very most you want your Omega 3 to 6 ratio at 1:1 as going past that ratio is just asking for health issues? What's supposed to be optimal is it 2:1??

Are you getting 30g or 60g of Omega 6 in your diet?
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Tue May 12, 2009 12:16 am

Bison wrote:See I'm thinking at the very most you want your Omega 3 to 6 ratio at 1:1 as going past that ratio is just asking for health issues? What's supposed to be optimal is it 2:1??

Are you getting 30g or 60g of Omega 6 in your diet?

Well ive ramped up my eggs to 8 a day with a massive ommlette so Im sure I must be getting a fair amount ?
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue May 12, 2009 8:06 am

Interesting. I've never had an issue with "heating up" with Omega-3s and I've been using high strength fish oil for about 2.5yrs now.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Tue May 12, 2009 11:59 am

Never at all? Im surprised at that Scott.

Even with the standards - I do get a slight elevation.

Maybe it's because you have taken it so long and body has got used to it?
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue May 12, 2009 12:00 pm

I have no recollection of this happening even when I started taking them in summer 2006 (high strength in winter 2006). I didn't even know this could happen.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Tue May 12, 2009 12:04 pm

health4ni wrote:I have no recollection of this happening even when I started taking them in summer 2006 (high strength in winter 2006). I didn't even know this could happen.

thats interesting - do you take them with anything?
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Food. Always.

Pointless to be taken on their own.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Tue May 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Regular strength fish oils heat me up no end... especially if taken close to bed time where i end up having night sweats that are bad enough to need to change the sheets. I get this even worse with Casein protein taken pre-bed.

I don't actually take much fish oil at the moment - just a few caps of it each day. Instead have been drinking down a few spoonfulls of hemp seed oil each day.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue May 12, 2009 3:19 pm

hemp is great. But you do know (I'm sure you do) that it's a different Omega-3 in it right?
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Tue May 12, 2009 3:58 pm

health4ni wrote:hemp is great. But you do know (I'm sure you do) that it's a different Omega-3 in it right?

Is why i like to take both hemp seed oil and fish oil... and also like to add in krill oil as well (when i can afford it) for the phospholipids.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue May 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Cool.

Yup, phospholipids are great. I'm using lecithin at the mo (PC). Cheap as chips. Now Foods do them. Since it helps emulsify fats I think it's a vital supp when you have a high fat intake (at least 100ml oils per day fro me at the mo).
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Tue May 12, 2009 4:11 pm

Dtlv74 wrote:
health4ni wrote:hemp is great. But you do know (I'm sure you do) that it's a different Omega-3 in it right?

Is why i like to take both hemp seed oil and fish oil... and also like to add in krill oil as well (when i can afford it) for the phospholipids.

Krill Oil is great but I've stopped buying it since they jacked the price up 50%, £25 a tub now! :shock: The joys of a company having a monopoly??
health4ni wrote:Cool.

Yup, phospholipids are great. I'm using lecithin at the mo (PC). Cheap as chips. Now Foods do them. Since it helps emulsify fats I think it's a vital supp when you have a high fat intake (at least 100ml oils per day fro me at the mo).

Is that from eggs or soy?
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue May 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Soy. Which I usually avoid but see no issues whatsoever with the resulting phospholipids from the Soy (unless anyone has info I don't know about yet).
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Tue May 12, 2009 5:27 pm

health4ni wrote:Soy. Which I usually avoid but see no issues whatsoever with the resulting phospholipids from the Soy (unless anyone has info I don't know about yet).

The whole soy/bad phytoestrogens confuses me slightly... have seen it written many times that processed soy is bad but similar to yourself haven't actually seen anything linking the same problems to extracts from soy... my guess is that they are ok...
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Tue May 12, 2009 5:33 pm

I think the issues regarding soy possibly came from it's consumption as a primary protein source, especially by non meat eaters, and then gathered negative momentum from there on. I would imagine in supplementary quantities there should be no issue.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Tue May 12, 2009 7:33 pm

Alex wrote:I think the issues regarding soy possibly came from it's consumption as a primary protein source, especially by non meat eaters, and then gathered negative momentum from there on. I would imagine in supplementary quantities there should be no issue.

Cool, that's kind of what I thought... it seems anything that may be bad in some circumstances gets surrounded by hysteria at some point! :roll:
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Tue May 12, 2009 7:58 pm

lecithin is cool and pretty cheap to boot
trust me the last thing you want to run short of is certain neurotransmitters, and choline is pretty essential
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Next

Return to Supplements