health4ni journal

Want to keep an online log of your training? Here is the place

Re: health4ni journal

Postby health4ni on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Indeed, the trend is important. Same with measuring actual body weight; same scales, same time of day etc.

Thanks for your kind words. Many people can have the years (even a lifetime) of consistency in the weight room, but combining that with nutrition is the trickier part. But if you do achieve it then, from my own experience, magic results occur.

Here's one mirror/visual thing I've noticed over the past two weeks to show I'm leaner: for maybe 2-3 years I've been able to view a couple of striations of muscle at the outside bottom corner of my pecs when I contract the pecs. I can now see 4-5 sections of striations. Also, the striations you can get when pec are tensed in say a most-muscular pose at the upper pec in the middle are way more clear now.

As I say I'm not trying to lean up cos I think I need to be (no way in fact) but I've done so by almost stopping eating fruit, instead opting for more veg. And I wasn't even eating much fruit. And what I was eating was blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, a few grapes, an apple occasionally (have an apple tree in the garden that had a huge crop last year). So that wee bit of less sugar has helped.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:50 am

why not just keep eating the fruit and just have a little more veg too? Just seems as if there isnt a need to not have the tasty fruit for the sake of being a touch leaner when thats not your intention and not necessary.

Just catching up on this all. COngratulations on the 2nd coming. must be an exciting time if not a little hard to manage. All the best
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:37 pm

I find that enjoyment of diet is so important to me, so I really can't see myself dropping all fruit. That said, although not in Scott's low bodyfat league, have always been fairly happy with my body comp for my own personal goals, and feel healthy enough hovering around the 10-12% mark... am happy to carry the fat that I do, even if it I could drop it by reducing sugar further. I probably could do with a little extra veg in my diet at the moment though, but I'm not scared of veg and do like it, so no hardship in increasing it. probably gonna add a morning greens smoothy, or at least experiment for a while with them.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm cutting out sugary fruit (not 100% mind you) as a kind of experiment for health based reasons (a la more alkaline diet). I doubt I'll stay at it for long. It was just an observation that happened fairly quickly. Guess it's a useful point to know if, such as Rab, you were wanting to get leaner more quickly for an event.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Like you said mate its incredible how much tiny changes make when it's ballhairs u have to lose

I'll defo have all the fruit out later in my diet but still having it now. Take out a bit at a time sugary and complex csrbs and replace with more green veg
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:36 pm

Felt good yesterday and decided I would try a max squat. Worked my way sensibly with not too much volume (good warmup and foam rolling was done before), and got to 130kg (wearing belt and 2-ply knee sleeves). Just wanted 1 rep (did three 2 weeks ago). As I came up from the bottom of the lift my right knee (the good one!) went crunch. Got the weight up but stopped straight away.

No visible swelling but felt tight inside. Been hobbling ever since and taking it easy. Soooo gutting after things started to get better with the left knee (knowing that I have a small synovial cyst in it). Don't know what I've done to the right one or how bad it is; need to leave it a few days to see what happens I guess. It hurts to go up & down stairs. Trying to squat onto a sofa is not nice.

---

A couple of highlights from a previous session:
- 1-arm DB snatches 40kgx2 reps each arm.
- Kroc Rows 55kgx21 (straps used)
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:33 pm

We had our second son on 12th Feb so things have been busy to say the least. Both are well and my oldest son is very sweet with his younger brother.

Training has been scaled back somewhat as recovery is hampered with lack of quality sleep. Helps the wife is breast-feeding again though :mrgreen:
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 pm

great news! you'll have a footie team in no time...
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Congrats! You'll be catching me up at this rate!! :D
..... and you're all set!
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue May 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Training has been just twice a week with weights since health4ni no.2 was born. But slow and steady wins the race.

A long time ago now I hit 100kg for 10 reps. After I did that I wanted to get 100kg for 20 reps. A medium-term goal, but one that only since this year had I thought I could do well, with good form and safely. So, after getting 90kgx20 & 100kgx15 about 4 weeks ago I decided to have a go at 100kgx20.

Here's the result

I lost count half way through so decided that I better do one extra on to whatever was in my head when I hit 20. Turns out I did 22 in then end so well chuffed. Happy with form & depth too. Only a couple were slightly less deep than my preferred depth.

Damaged the long head of my biceps on my left arm so have been having physio on it. No pressing or OH work for about 4 weeks now. But thems the breaks.

Hope everyone is well.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Wed May 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Looking good Scott. Little niggles are such a pain, hope the biceps improves asap
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Thu May 24, 2012 7:21 am

Too easy, way too easy. You were able to stand an walk after the set...
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:59 pm

^^ lol well, I was happy. Only just able to stand.

@Si: cheers mate. It is loads better. Just starting doing light overhead work this week. I'll get there.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Gym-pig on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Interesting you use knee wraps ?

Opinion on these varies so much on whether they are good or bad

Why do you use them ?
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:14 pm

They're not knee wraps mate, but knee sleeves.

I use the sleeves only for squatting and only once I hit 100kg+. Then I also put the belt on.

Main reason for using is that I still like squatting heavy (relative to me) but with my synovial cyst in my left knee I want to ensure that the knee tracks correctly over the feet. It also helps warm-up and keep warm the knee joints.

Plus I am now of the opinion that when squatting heavy (relative to yourself) then it prob is worth wearing a belt a (so long as you use it correctly) and knee sleeves.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Gym-pig on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Cheers pal
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Training Journals