health4ni journal

Want to keep an online log of your training? Here is the place

Re: health4ni journal

Postby Rab on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 pm

The challenge is bodyweight for as many reps as you can get i recon Scott

I got 18 on saturday (post all out HIT set) and aiming for 20.

Bawbag spotters are a nigtmare. Im lucky o train in a gym with plenty decent guys
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Yeah, that's like Dan John's "challenge" where he reckons a "strong" person should be able to get 15+ BW on the bench press. I did 15 at 70kg and just last week did 14 at 72.5kg (slightly more than what I weigh). So, 18 as you did is good man and I'm a wee bit off that just yet.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:10 am

I'm not sure I buy his logic as BW relative strength isn't truly linear. i.e. it's harder to lift bw for x reps when you're heavier.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 am

If you keep it lean and obviously depending on where your weight iss....

im sporting a fair bit of my weight on legs, ass and in gut content at the minute :lol:
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:49 pm

ollie wrote:I'm not sure I buy his logic as BW relative strength isn't truly linear. i.e. it's harder to lift bw for x reps when you're heavier.
No weight-lifting based "fitness" test is 100% accurate. But it's a good start and one that would be useful for sports team. Easy, quick and immediate results. Sure, they'd need to combine it with a few other things to see the full picture.

Here's a decent way to test someone's strength:
Bench Press: BWx1.5
Military Press: BW
Squat: BWx2
Deadlift: BWx2.5

If you get 1 rep from all those then you know you're strong enough for almost any sport; I guess esp for rugby, american football etc.

Joe DeFranco always says (with reference to the american football players he trains) that the more chins someone can do the faster they can run.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed May 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Not gonna put all the sessions up.

One def highlight though is a getting 3 reps of 100kg on the bench press. Very very pleased with that. My bench has really improved in the last month or so, finally.

Since starting Wendler's 531 prog and having to do bench pressing, it does make sense that I would improve, albeit steadily. But one thing that I've noticed the most that I am able to get multiple reps out of 90kg+ weights when before starting this prog I don't think I've ever managed to press 90kg+ for more than one rep. Just shows that I am able to keep my body tight and with the improved technique and increased strength can get multiple reps.

Everything else has been gong fine. Actually put on 1kg on lean mass over the past 6 weeks. Sitting at a solid 72kg now I think.

Also been doing lots of neck work (stopped using the harness as I'm not convinced it's safe) and DB shrugs. Neck has increased in girth a little as a result. For neck work and do isometric holds (10-15s). Using both hands you simply try to move the head in the 4 directions (forward, back, side other side). 2-3 sets and you're done.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed May 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Sunday 8th May 2011 - Upper

1a - Military Press 47.5x5 : 52.5x5 : 60x5
1b - Pullups with 1sec hold at top BW x 10, 8

2a - Weighted Pressups on Handles and feet elevated 20x12 : 20+#2bandx10 : 30x10 : 20x15
2b - Pendlay Rows 60x12 : 70x10 : 75x8 : 80x6 : 65x12

3 - Plate Plank Stackers 4x2.5kg plates -> 3 sets with moving weights 6 sides.

PR for reps and weight on the Military Press. Very happy with that. Could've got a 6th too, but would've been a grinder.

Happy with the rest. Going well.

--

Tues 10th May 2011 - Lower

1a - Deadlift 120x5 : 140x5 : 157.5x8

2a - Sumo Deadlifts 100x12 : 110x10 ; 120x8 : 130x6
2b - RFE Split Squat 15x12 : 22.5x10

Didn't even know if I'd be able to deadlift as my knee was hurting quite bad the previous evening; in a different place too which was worrying. Anyway, after a warmup it seemed ok. Got a PR for reps & weight with the stop & reset style, so happy days. Wanted 9 though lol.

Cut short the Split Squats as it was aggravating my knee. Sumo's are doing all right too.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed May 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Training away as per usual. But I seem to be tweaking my back more regularly in the past few weeks and right now it's quite sore (albeit in a different place from normal). I'm going to change my training prog over the next month to give my back and knee a rest, so no standard deadlifts or heavy squats.

Did get a Military Press of 67.5kgx2 on Tues which I think caused this latest muscular back issue :roll:
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed May 25, 2011 8:56 pm

I should be on a BBC NI news feature next week with my Pro Snowboarder client. She was interviewed and then we were filmed doing some training. Got her outside too on the Prowler, so hopefully that will be edited in.

I link you all up once it's on BBC NI watch again.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Busy times here.

I stopped Wendler 531 and Spent about 2 months doing other training stuff; mostly Dan John inspired, which was fun.

Back on Wendler's 531 with a modified 3 day a week prog. Adding in sprints & prowler work when I can. Did some hill sprints this morning actually.

Strength is pretty much where I was in May time. Size & leanness about the same.

My left knee hasn't been as bad but that's cos I'm being more careful. And annoyingly now it's my right knee that is hurting; I think it's cos I've been "protecting" my left knee for so long that my right knee has been doing more work and in a non-ideal position (there's some slight twisting when I squat due to me "protecting" my left-knee).

Anyway, gonna hit low box squats for a few months now. Had to do this as normal full squats seem to allow too little margin for error and I tweak the knees now & again. Box squatting seems ok so far.

--

Buying a house at the mo. Should be in there in 2 weeks time. First owned house since leaving England back in 2007.

And my wife is pregnant with out second one.

So yeah, busy times.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Congrats dude.

Least you didn't leave it too last minute to move before the new arrival.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks. That's true. Elaine is only 14wks so there's plenty of time yet...
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Looking good and congrats on impending 2nd child.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Ta.

Should've also said that the biggest change to my training has been to do lots of weighted carries. So, heavy sandbag carries with a bear hug (got up to 60kg so far; want to get a BW bag but not sure if I have the arm reach lol); farmers walks (did 50kg DBs the other day); waiters walks; waiters walks with farmers walk.

The waiters walks are brilliant imo. So good for shoulder health. KBs are best for this. And having one arm up (in the waiter position) and one arm carrying a DB/KB (in the farmers walk position) is such a great combo.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:34 pm

health4ni wrote:Wed 30-09-2009 - Session 2

My left knee hurt from Monday's squats so didn't know what to expect from today's split squats. But all went well. Not done splits in months and sure have missed them... not! Love hate relationship. They really messed up my DB Presses due to breathing heavy still.

Had an MRI Scan in Dec and got the results a few weeks later. All structures such as bone, ligaments, tendons and muscle etc are very good apparently. But I have a small synovial cyst. This is actually the best result since it means no invasive surgery is required; thank god. I shall be focussing even more on keeping alkaline (yes I know lol) and will also start to use glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM etc.

From August to Dec I just did box squats to below parallel which allowed the knee to recover to the best it's been in a long time.

For Xmas I got some knee sleeves (2 ply) and a 10mm belt. Both are awesome and highly recommend them.

Both will be used only for heavy squats, deadlifts and military presses (belt only).

First day of trying them was last week. My best squat was 130kg (that's full well below parallel). I got 3 reps! Fucking eh!

I think the belt gives you more confidence and you do get kinesthetic feedback to know you still have an increased inter-abdominal pressure (you are still pushing against the belt with your belly whilst holding the huge breath).

I think the 2 ply knee sleeves do help "out of the hole". But I don't care as my knee felt great afterwards. It was also warm which is a good thing.

---

Apart from that training has been going well. Making small but steady strength increases.

The next mini health4ni is due in just under 6 weeks so things will change for a while once again while I try to adapt to interrupted and reduced sleep :cry:
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:26 pm

MRI was for? proactive monitoring or because of other issues?
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:28 pm

it was to check if he had turned himself into a calcified mass from being too alkaline
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Congrats on imminent new arrival and have a very happy and healthy New Year
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:56 pm

Congrats Scott - at this rate northern ireland will be 52% mini healthforni's in just a few decades, and the pH of the whole region will go up a few notches (NOT A BAD THING AT ALL :D)
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:34 pm

kp1512 wrote:MRI was for? proactive monitoring or because of other issues?
I quoted myself there back from 2009 as that is when I first hurt myt knee... or when my knee first "told me" there was something wrong.

So the MRI was on my left knee. I've not had full flexion since that time; not far off it mind you but not full. And there have been periods when I've been in some pain with the knee.

julesm wrote:it was to check if he had turned himself into a calcified mass from being too alkaline
on a serious note that isn't possible imo. Well, you could try by drinking kgs of bicarb salts but you'd spew it up and shit it all out before you got too alkaline :lol:

Happy New Year to you all. :D
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Upped the squats by 2.5kg to hit a 3RM of 132.5kg. Still weigh ~71kg and ~5BF.

Trained in with a client today and we both felt good so went for deadlift PRs. He got a 7.5kg PR of 162.5kg.

I then finally pulled more than 180kg, hitting 185kg (408lbs). Well chuffed about that. 2.6xBW which is nice.

It's been such a long time of having the 180kg as my 1RM. And whilst the 185kg went up fairly slowly (it is a PR after all) it wasn't too bad. My client even thought I was gonna do another rep!

1-Arm DB Snatched 40kg on each arm the other day too. Just for a bit of fun.

That's about the current highlights.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Oh, one other highlight. I got 15 clap pullups a few weeks back.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Nice lifts there Scott... 5% b/fat too. How are you measuring b/fat btw?
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks.

Skinfold calipers using Poliquin's 10 site approach. I do as many sites as I can myself then get my wife to do the rest. But I also use the mirror a lot; since I'm so lean and have been for a while then I know when I get minor fluctuations. To be honest I'm not much different than I was in 2007. Just some more muscle now.

If anything, over the past 12 days or so I think I've leaned up even more! I actually think I'm now 70kg whilst still having same or slightly more muscle mass and stronger than ever, when compared to when I was 72kg. I know 2kg is a bit of a joke but for lil ol me it's a lot lol
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:52 pm

What impresses me with you Scott is your consistency over time - I know a fair few people who attain a great lean shape for a while, but don't seem to maintain it for very long and fluctuate a fair bit.

Much kudos to you.

I haven't measured anything (weight, bodyfat, tape measurements) for a while... capliers and nine point parrillo method is the one I use when I do , but is difficult to do on myself and I'm always a little unsure how accurate I am. Still, I figure provided I do it the same way each time, at least I'm measuring the trend accurately, even if not the actual percentage.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Training Journals