Hanging Clean

The place to discuss powerlifting and powerbuilding based training!

Hanging Clean

Postby Benny on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:15 pm

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this for me.

A powerclean is from the floor, deadlift position.
A hanging clean, from standing.

I've always tried to do them (admitely not very heavy) with as little leg/back momentum as possible so as to use the shoulders & traps as much as possible and then a little dip in the knees as I begin to fatigue.

Though a quick browse on youtube shows people almost RDL and dipping quite deep and the pritty much doing half of a power clean? If that makes sense? Some even dropping ATG and front squatting.

How are they meant to be done? Links to decent video tutorials welcome :)

Thanks,

Benny
Use discount code 'BSD324' for 5% off your first order.
B - 120KG, S - 170KG, DL - 200KG//490KG -10KG to go.
Benny
ESN Regular

Re: Hanging Clean

Postby ollie on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:40 pm

What you've described is a 'power hang clean' which will allow you to use more weight.

Obviously the less knee/back bend, the less weight you'll be using. Personally I prefer to go with the power version as they feel safer to me.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Ader's the main for this.

My 2p.

Power Cleans &/or Power Hang Cleans involve only small knee bending when catching. Thus, you are powering it up into position.

Cleans & Hang Cleans require catching the bar in a squat position; correct squat position is ATG. Just look at an Olympic lifter to see that. To be honest most people cannot do correct Cleans. I find them very difficult and stick to Power Cleans as Ollie alluded to. More technique is required for the Clean. imo unless you're going to compete in Oly lifting you'll be fine with the Power version.

To progress to using heavy weights you must use the big muscles; that's just logical right. That is the glutes, legs and back. Trying to keep these muscles out of it and just use the shoulders & traps etc will severely limit the weight you'll lift.

For the most part it's best to not get caught up in the whole "isolate this muscle by using minimal involvement of that muscle". Using a safe & correct technique on big compound multi-joint exercises like deadlifts, squats, (power)cleans etc will make you strong and big. Get your trap & upper back work from deadlifting heavy.

Simples.

btw I do like Muscle Cleans which require less weight, and less exposiveness, but are nonetheless a great exercise. Just know which one you want to do and stick to the correct technique for either.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Benny on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting as I didn't know catching in a ATG position was part of a 'clean'. I thought...nevermind lol

Kool, I'll use some glute, ham etc involvement and put a bit more power into the lift.
Use discount code 'BSD324' for 5% off your first order.
B - 120KG, S - 170KG, DL - 200KG//490KG -10KG to go.
Benny
ESN Regular

Postby health4ni on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm

The reason lifters catch in the ATG position is so that the bar travels the minimum distance from floor to shoulders. Thereby allowing you to lift as much weight as possible... more weight than you could using a power clean technique. Same for the snatch.

Here's deep...

There's a pic of some guy in the Olympics catching a bar (snatch I think) and his ass is actually on the ground!
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Will on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:45 pm

There's a vid on youtube of a guy doing a 200kg clean - it's really rather good.
Will
Super Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:18 pm

health4ni wrote:The reason lifters catch in the ATG position is so that the bar travels the minimum distance from floor to shoulders. Thereby allowing you to lift as much weight as possible... more weight than you could using a power clean technique. Same for the snatch.

Here's deep...

There's a pic of some guy in the Olympics catching a bar (snatch I think) and his ass is actually on the ground!

Bingo, well explained. If you are only interested in shifting as much weight as possible then dip under as much as you can - all about shortening the distance the bar has to travel before sitting in the catch position.

The above method takes some of the load off the weaker muscles (rhomboids etc) and onto the stronger muscles (legs) when you lift back up. If you do less of a dip, although forced to use less weight, you can use the technique to work the weaker muscles more.

A good simple hang clean instructional:

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-do-a-H ... n-23492287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a full powerclean the technique below is good. The flat back and straight up movement of the bar is spot on, and she's got the catch nailed too (hardest bit I think):

Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:43 pm

I like power hang clean and muscle clean from hang. I use power hang clean as a explosive posterior chain movement (actually prefer hang power snatch for this though) and muscle clean as a great shoulder developer & good for shoulder health too. Both great exercises, just slightly different in their use and application.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Will on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qd592B-Rf4

Considering it's 200kg I'm dead impressed with this!
Will
Super Contributor

Postby Ader on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:54 pm

@ Det - Good post I've seen that video before - Nice technique - The jump she does isn't really needed but I sometimes do that with light weights to emphasise extension at the top before I move heavy - i.e. going up onto the toes and shrugging the bar high. Also she how she never looks down head always up - That'll help keep your back upright - never look down.

Agree full ATG catch is really only needed if you want to get big one off lifts to your name - Takes some doing as the trabstion from full extension to moving under teh bar is hard to get right - Typically people cut the pull which then means the bar is too low to get under unless you're incredibly quick. If you do want to work on it one way is to do a power clean then front squat down initially just to get used to teh feel - then gradually try to catch lower & lower - Obviously not with big weights until you've nailed it. I actually quite like power cleans to front squats as a combo - Just try doing a set of 5 and see what I mean.

Re the Picture - I think technically having your ass touch the floor is a fail - But impressive flexibility. Ideally you'd be just above that - Doing that in the snact/overhead positionis damned hard.

And re the original question - I count a power clean as anything where in teh catch your legs are // or above and on hang cleans or hang power cleans, I would always dip down before driving up - The idea is to emphasise the 2nd pull and reinforce the need to fully extend - If you don't dip down you can't extend.
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Richard on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Benny wrote:How are they meant to be done? Links to decent video tutorials welcome :)

Make sure you watch Gayle Hatch

http://aceathlete.com/hatch/video.htm
Richard
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Powerlifting