Food & Supplement Journal

Want to keep an online log of your nutrition and supplement regime? Here is the place

Food & Supplement Journal

Postby Alex on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:56 pm

Will try and keep a log of things as I'm looking to add some mass back on and lose some excess from the past couple of months. Fir the moment it will be more food based as I've been on a break from most supplements for around a month now and will probably carry this through until the end of this month.

You'll notice a lack of Fish Oil and Greens at the moment but for now thats no big deal but will be added when I start supplementing proper again although I'll swap Fish Oil for Krill Oil. I'll also be adding Alka Clear back in instead of Sodium Bicarb and look to add Hemp Protein back in Pre Bed instead of Cottage Cheese. Na-RALA will be one of the other additions I may make later on and Creapure will be cycled in. Other than that I'd like to add Zinc back in and look to quality Vitamin B Complex and D3 products eventually.

Other thing of note it that I tend not to measure out or calorie count my Green Veg but tend to go for generous amounts. As things progress I may increase Protein a little and possibly swap out Eggs for a Chicken Breast at breakfast with some Olive Oil at times. For the times I do have Eggs I'll be cooking with Coconut Oil.

Will also go back to 20g Carbs Pre and During Workout at the end of the month.

Upon Waking
    5cc Scoop Sodium Bicarb & 1/2 Lemon in Water

15 Mins Later
    90cc Scoop WPC, 5g-10g L-Glutamine & 1cc Scoop Him Salts in Water

25 Mins Later
    3 Eggs Scrambled on 2 Slices Wholegrain Toast with 2 handfulls of Spinach
    or
    3 Eggs Scrambled with 2 handfulls of Spinach, 20g Oats with 1/2 Lactose Free Milk & 1/2 Water
    Multi Vitamin & Liv52 DS

Through Day
    2-3 Chicken Breasts cooked on BBQ in Marinade of Dry
    100g-125g Brown Basmati Rice with Broccolli, Peas, Spinach & 5ml-10ml Avocado Oil
    10ml of Olive Oil based Dressing if Chicken is Dry

Evening Meal
    1 Chicken Breast cooked on BBQ in Marinade or Dry
    300g Rib Eye or Sirloin Steak once or twice a week instead of Chicken
    Broccolli & Peas
    Roasted Potato's, Sweet Potato's and Parsnips if training in Evening otherwise generally just Green Veg if training through the day
    A couple of squares of 70+% Dark Chocolate if I'm craving

Pre Bed
    90cc Scoop WPC, 1g Magnesium Citrate, 1cc Scoop Him Salts & 5ml-10ml Hemp Oil
    100g-200g Cottage Cheese

Pre Workout
    10g-15g PeptoPro, 10g Dextrose (Sugar Letters!) & 3g-4g Beta Alanine

Post Workout
    10g-15g PeptoPro, 3g-4g Beta Alanine & 1cc Scoop Electrolytes

45 mins After Workout
    5cc Scoop Sodium Bicarb & 1/2 Lemon in Water

1 Hour After Workout
    Either Evening Meal or a portion of Through Day Food

Additions
    A pinch of Him Salts per 500ml of Filtered Water
    I may snack on good Nuts now and again
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Food & Supplement Journal

Postby simon m on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Alex, why not just buy a chicken, cook it and eat the whole bloody bird?
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:37 pm

Heh, it's cheaper buying Free Range Breasts from my butcher than a whole one.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:18 pm

You seem to have changed things around quite a bit from a couple of years ago.

Overall it seems a lot "leaner". Were you adding too much bulk when you were eating rib-eye steak almost daily?

Diet looks good, although personally I think I'd get well sick of that amount of chicken after a few days. Don't like fish, or too expensive?
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Can't deal with the taste of fish even though I want to like it. I BBQ everything now so taste wise things are pretty good and far from boring.

Wasn't adding too much bulk from Ribeye but looking from a health perspective eating red meat daily probably isn't the best and I've noticed less of an issue with sinus/histamine reaction since the reduction which I'm a little sensitive too being a hayfever sufferer.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby roadz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:55 am

What marinade are you using for you chicken breast Alex? After several months of using the same marinade I've become slightly bored with it lol
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Karlos on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:15 am

Nice. Few things i'd like to adopt from this are bicarb & greens. I used to have cottage cheese and i used to suffer from allergies, especially in the morning. It's much reduced now since dropping it!
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:20 am

roadz wrote:What marinade are you using for you chicken breast Alex? After several months of using the same marinade I've become slightly bored with it lol

Nando's do a hot piri piri rub which may be more suited to your palette? Only seen this in Tesco and is completely different to the bottled marinades. I was rotating this with the bottled ones but I'm lucky in that the butcher where I've moved to does around 10 varieties of pre marinaded chicken at virtually no extra cost so I can go through these and never get bored.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:31 am

Karlos wrote:Nice. Few things i'd like to adopt from this are bicarb & greens. I used to have cottage cheese and i used to suffer from allergies, especially in the morning. It's much reduced now since dropping it!

Funnily enough Bicarb and Greens are the one thing I've dropped over the past 3-4 months. I found with Bicarb I'd experience muscle cramps after maybe a month of use and I didn't bother purchasing a proper salt combo such as Alka Clear which contains the Potassium salt. Thats an issue to be aware of. Greens I dropped simply as my green veg intake is pretty high on a daily basis so I felt no need to supplement on top.

Taking them both away hasn't impacted me in any way that is noticable and since running a cleaner diet like above I've managed the whole hayfever season without taking any medication to combat the symptoms which is a first.

A few changes from the diet are:

No cottage cheese like yourself; I just stick to a scoop of whey blend and don't even bother adding in any oil now. Maybe I'll down a couple of Fish Oil caps.
    No pre workout supplementing as I make sure I've eaten a solid meal around 90 mins pre workout. During working I just consume amino acids, electrolytes and sometimes some carbs. This may well change though if I train early evenings but not mornings.
    As mentioned above Greens and Bicarb are dropped but I still keep in Him Salts on the hotter days.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:38 pm

That's why i haven't tried greens yet tbh. I probably eat about 10 portions of veg daily, half of which are green, so i may not even bother. I use him salt on pretty much all my food, just replaced normal salt with it.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Thought I'd give this a wee update given that I'm training on 3-4 hours sleep max a day at the moment so will be good to make a note of how things are set right now.

Upon Waking
    2x90cc Scoop WPC or Whey Blend, 3g Creatine Mono, 1g Milk Thistle, 0.5g NAC

25 Mins Later
    3 Eggs Scrambled cooking in Coconut Oil with 2 handfulls of Spinach, half cup Granola dry
    Multi Vitamin, 25mg Zinc, 1000mg MSM, 250mg Na-RALA, 400mm Green Tea, 5000iu Vit D3

Through Day
    3 Chicken Breasts cooked on BBQ in Marinade or mix of Chicken and Tilapia Fish
    100g-125g Brown Basmati Rice with Broccolli, Peas, Spinach, Beetroot & 5ml-10ml Avocado Oil, some Brazil and Almond Nuts, sometimes a small square of 70+% Dark Chocolate
    Above split over 3 feeds, 25mg Zinc first feed, 2x1000mg Fish Oil Caps with each feed, 250mg Na-RALA with the most carb heavy feed early afternoon

Pre Workout
    10g-15g Amino Acids, 1.5g Creatine Mono, 10cc Whittard Flavoured Green Tea, 17.5g BSD Reloaded, 0.5g Tyrosine, Electrolytes

During Workout
    10g-15g PeptoPro, 10g BSD Glyoco Active, 3g Creatine Mono, 10cc Whittard Flavoured Green Tea, 0.25g Tyrosine, Electrolytes

Evening Meal
    1 Chicken Breast cooked on BBQ in Marinade/Homemade Curry or Tilapia Fish
    Broccolli & Peas for greens otherwise Spinach Leaves, Beetroot, Chopped Dried Apricot and Pecans, Cherry Toms, Wholewheat Giant Couscous, Pizza Express House Dressing
    Chocolate Whey Porridge if I don't have carbs with evening meal mainly on training days otherwise I'm not so worried
    Vit B Complex, 1000mg MSM, 250mg Na-RALA, 5000iu Vit D3

Pre Bed
    2x90cc Scoop WPC or Whey Blend, 1g Milk Thistle, 0.5g NAC, 1g Magnesium Citrate, 2x1000mg Fish Oil Caps, 1000mg Vit C, 1500mg Quercetin
    I say pre bed but really ends up being anytime between 11pm-2am depending on baby.

Thats pretty much the base I'm currently sticking to bt obviously there will always be some deviations like red meat sources, cheats, etc.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:42 am

WHat do you recon about chucking a square of dark chocolate in with the oats/whey? OSunds good to me!

Burgers? Still making them and do you sweat a wholmeal or granery roll or two?
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:25 am

Is what I do although I grate it in after as a little grated goes a hell of a long way.

My butcher makes burgers exactly how I do so I just buy frozen 8oz patties from him and knock up a cheese burger when I fancy in a bun. When I get a but more time back I'll go back to making my own again.

Got some Bison this morning to try out.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Thinking of swapping out Whey for Hemp, Pea and Rice Protein for a month or so as a trial to see if it helps reduce subq water retention. Will keep workout nutrition the same; amino acids and peptopro.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:42 pm

Isolate?
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:15 pm

Even find Isolate not that dry although I have found some increase going from Ultimate Blend with some Isolate content to just a concentrate. Only becomes more obvious after not using any whey for a couple of weeks so it's worth considering that even with low lactose a dairy by-product will still behave like one. I think the varied sources of protein will make a difference as dairy is still animal when you look at it.

Was interesting having conversations with some figure competitors a while back and how they don't evn use Isolate close to comp time due to the fact that it's still a dairy by-product.

I think it's worth a trial and see what happens while keeping diet constant. With my lack of sleep making me more prone to subq water retention at the moment it'll be interesting to see if any positive effects occur.

I'll also look to put in Exemestane at 12.5g but I'll wait on the whey swap put first.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:19 am

I never used any protein supplement of any sort on the last week run up that time. just all small portions of chicken/turkey/beef and the odd it of white fish
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:12 am

commonplace that all powders no matter what molecular weight, are dropped 1/2/3 weeks prior to show
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Fair do's chaps.

I'm no show monkey.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Hey!

:lol:
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Been eating a touch dirty through this week to get back on track after the crappy stomach bug but will also be making a few changes from next week to try an fuel my body a little better and hopefully make more efficient use of protein intake for muscle building rather than an expensive energy source.

Changes are:

Swapping out whey for Hemp first thing which will be in chocolate oat milk. I'll be using around 50g so protein yield will be less and oat milk will give me aome more carbs.

Through the day I'm eating a whole deboned chicken which will have been marinaded and then cooked off in the oven. I'll also do something similar with a joint of topside rump in a teriaki glaze and will munch a mix of the 2 through the day and as evening meal. Overall this may see my meat protein drop a little. I'll also be adding in a flapjack through the day which will be homemade and some fruit.

May change evening carb source to include pasta mixed with some green pesto although this may change already as I could look to move my training at a lunch time during work so this carb source would move to post workout meal mid afternoon rather than evening. Checked with the gym across the road from my work and they have shower facilities so may well take advantage and free up my evenings, plus I prefer midday training. Similar setup to my current gym but will check it out next week.

Prebed shake is a mix of pea and rice protein instead of whey, but a similar amount, although at the moment I haven't always bothered having this one if I've not been feeling that hungry or empty.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Few amends and one I'm trying out at the moment while training at lunch.

Upon Waking
    2x50cc Scoop Hemp, 1g Milk Thistle, 0.5g NAC with Chocolate Oat Milk

25 Mins Later
    3 Eggs Scrambled cooking in Coconut Oil with 2 handfulls of Spinach, half cup Granola dry
    Multi Vitamin, 25mg Zinc, 1000mg MSM, 250mg Na-RALA, 400mm Green Tea, 5000iu Vit D3

Elevenses
    1 Cold Chicken Breast Marinated and cooking in oven
    1/4 cup Brown Basmati Rice with Broccolli, Peas, Spinach, Beetroot & 5ml-10ml Avocado Oil, 1/2 Flapjack
    25mg Zinc, 2x1000mg Fish Oil Caps

Pre Workout
    10g-15g Amino Acids, 1.5g Creatine Mono, 10cc Whittard Flavoured Green Tea, 17.5g BSD Reloaded, 0.5g Tyrosine, Electrolytes

During Workout
    10g-15g PeptoPro, 10g BSD Glyoco Active, 3g Creatine Mono, 0.25g Tyrosine, Electrolytes

Post Workout Meal
    100g Pasta with Green Pesto, 1/2 Flapjack
    250mg Na-RALA, 2x1000mg Fish Oil Caps, Vit B Complex

Afternoon Tea
    1/4 cup Brown Basmati Rice with Broccolli, Peas, Spinach, Beetroot & 5ml-10ml Avocado Oil
    2x1000mg Fish Oil Caps

Evening Meal
    Broccolli & Peas for greens otherwise Spinach Leaves, Beetroot, Chopped Dried Apricot and Pecans, Cherry Toms, Wholewheat Giant Couscous, Pizza Express House Dressing or Tomato, Avocado & Mozzarella Salad
    1000mg MSM, 250mg Na-RALA (dependant on carbs), 5000iu Vit D3

On empty
    1g Milk Thistle, 0.5g NAC, 1g Magnesium Citrate in water, 1000mg Vit C, 1500mg Quercetin

Pre Bed
    1/2x90cc Scoop Brown Rice Protein, 1/2x90xcc Scoop Pea Protein, 1x50cc Scoop Hemp, 2-3 5cc scoops Drinking Chocolate in water, 2x1000mg Fish Oil Caps
    I say pre bed but really ends up being anytime between 11pm-2am depending on baby.

Thats pretty much the base I'm currently sticking to for training days but obviously there will always be some deviations mainly in evening meals and small cheats. For none training days I drop the pasta and add in a little more rice and a cheat meal or so as it tends to be the weekend. Need to look at adding in fresh fruit.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:45 am

very comprehensive write up
do you take the morning NAC away from your drink?
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:34 am

someone likes their chicken lol
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:10 am

Lot of eating in there Temper. You pushing a little to get some beef on?
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Next

Return to Nutritional and Supplement Journals