Fat Gripz thread

Anything related to bodybuilding? Then put it here!

Fat Gripz thread

Postby Craig on Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:24 pm

I thought I'd start a thread for these bad boys as I'm using them on most arm exersizes and pressing exersizes. I'm feeling the target muscles much more heavily but I've only started using them this month so its to early to give any results.

Whats everyones favorite exersizes for the fat gripz and has anyone seen tangable muscle growth or strength increases that can be attributed to them?
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Fat Gripz thread

Postby Rilla on Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:41 pm

I like them alot for dips, they keep the bars from digging into the palm.
They're also good for curls and pullups.

I tried some 1H FG deadlifts, but they were VERY tough. :)
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:30 am

I think they're great for BB presses, curls, rows, actually anything. The more I use them, the more I like them.

Early days, but already I've noticed a difference in the thickness of my forearms.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Marks1972 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:05 am

Been using them 2 weeks now as part of supersets for arms, FG BB curls with skullcrushers, FG hammer curls with KB extensions etc... really hitting my forearms, going from doing barbell curls with them to doing skullcrushers with a thick fixed bar is immensely painful but soooo good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current gym PBs - Deadlift 280kg, Squat 230kg (knee wraps and belt), Bench 160kg (wrist wraps)
Marks1972
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:40 am

ive found them useless for overall growth and progression when compared with/without them; but good for something new and to also get the forarms involved more due to the nature of the grip etc
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:45 am

kp1512 wrote:ive found them useless for overall growth and progression when compared with/without them; but good for something new and to also get the forarms involved more due to the nature of the grip etc

Not worth the cash then??
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:47 am

I'd say probably not if your forearms aren't a problem. Depends what your priorities are really.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Marks1972 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:50 am

Good for building grip for sure id say, but as far as growth goes, it feels to me they are a good shock tactic to trigger some new growth but over time having to use lighter weights would probably be detrimental.

Id say they are best used periodically rather than constantly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current gym PBs - Deadlift 280kg, Squat 230kg (knee wraps and belt), Bench 160kg (wrist wraps)
Marks1972
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:56 am

cleaver wrote:
kp1512 wrote:ive found them useless for overall growth and progression when compared with/without them; but good for something new and to also get the forarms involved more due to the nature of the grip etc

Not worth the cash then??

no mate - not unless you want to focus on grip etc
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:36 am

I haven't experienced growth in my forearms, but my forearms are already pretty big. I've definitely noticed improvements in grip and bicep strength however and i havn't even been using them as much as i should.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:43 pm

Dips, BB presses, chins/pull-ups, DB Curls, EZ Bar Curls.

Grip has improved for sure.

afaik when your grip gets stronger, your forearm muscles will too... and since your biceps are used during gripping it should follow that they too will get stronger. And that should hopefully mean you'll see some increase in size.

Do not expect to suddenly see massive growth in muscles that take a while to get bigger anyway. But this is like anything; how can you expect to see "growth" if you don't give it a good amount of time to see what happens.

I have seen some growth in the forearm and biceps area. Is that due to Fat Gripz? I suspect they've played a part for sure. But as has my overall strength gains and slight BW increase.

Think of it like this: grip is often the limiting factor in many exercises, such as chins, rows, deadlifts. Since those exercises (esp deadlifts) can lead to good overall growth if weight gains are made, then if the grip is stronger then size will follow, as you'll be able to lift more in those exercises.

I think they're worth it for sure. Cheap too.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Gym-pig on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Marks1972 wrote:Good for building grip for sure id say, but as far as growth goes, it feels to me they are a good shock tactic to trigger some new growth but over time having to use lighter weights would probably be detrimental.

Id say they are best used periodically rather than constantly.

I agree , nothing more than the fat bars that were in gyms a few years ago
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby Robbo on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Where can you get these from?
Robbo
Regular Contributor

Postby simon m on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Robbo wrote:Where can you get these from?

See: www.FatGripz.com
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Craig on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:42 pm

My biceps have never been sore from a workout from day one, today they are. I can't see the point in using them on pulling exersizes but I'm hopefull that they will give new bicep growth, despite this threads direction :lol:
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:10 pm

Craig

Get onto a rack and do close grip pull ups [like you was going to do rack pullpuls] thatll put meat on them!
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Craig on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:18 pm

kp1512 wrote:Craig

Get onto a rack and do close grip pull ups [like you was going to do rack pullpuls] thatll put meat on them!

The closest we have is a smith (so my feet touch the ground with it on the highest setting) and I'm tall but point taken, I'll work with what I've got, how close is the grip?
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:45 pm

No closer than 6".

Bend your legs and hopefully you'll knees won't touch the ground.

Fat Gripz are just a tool; and like any tool they only have so many uses. But since most people forget about grip strength then these are a decent way to work the grip as well as other muscles.

You simply have to be clever with them. Deadlifting with them is generally not great, but if you do it like Karlos has (a few sets of FG deadlifts, then standard deadlifts) then it will actually help you to lift more using "Post-tetanic Potentiation" - thick bar work followed by standard bar work.

Again I'll reiterate a point made earlier by me: whenever you grip something the biceps work too. So if the thing your gripping is harder to hold* (thick bar, fat gripz), then your biceps get worked in a different way to standard size bar. BUT the weight is less. SO, just alternate the use of standard bar and thick bar training.

* and yes I know that sentence is very dodgy... kept it clean :lol:
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Gym-pig on Sat May 08, 2010 3:22 pm

I know this is an old thread ,but are people still using these and getting benefits
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby roadz on Sat May 08, 2010 5:23 pm

I feel like getting some of these. As Scott said, most people (myself included) forget about grip work, so these could come in handy. Also, my forearms are similar to that of a 9 year old girl.
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Gym-pig on Sat May 08, 2010 5:34 pm

roadz wrote:I feel like getting some of these. As Scott said, most people (myself included) forget about grip work, so these could come in handy. Also, my forearms are similar to that of a 9 year old girl.

LOL :lol:

Anyone know a uk supplier ??
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby roadz on Sat May 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Gym-pig wrote:
roadz wrote:I feel like getting some of these. As Scott said, most people (myself included) forget about grip work, so these could come in handy. Also, my forearms are similar to that of a 9 year old girl.

Just had a look on the site linked above somewhere (http://www.fatgripz.com/)

You'd end up paying about $45/£30... Seems a lot of what they are?
roadz
Popular Member

Postby Gym-pig on Sat May 08, 2010 6:08 pm

roadz wrote:
Gym-pig wrote:

Just had a look on the site linked above somewhere (http://www.fatgripz.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

You'd end up paying about $45/£30... Seems a lot of what they are?

Agree pal - its a split piece of plastic .
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby simon m on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:05 pm

I've just ordered some, as I need a wider grip on the shitty smith I use for CGBP and also working with Alex on DB press and not sure if his gyms DB's will have thick enough handles for me as narrow ones bugger my wrists
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Craig on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:27 pm

I've still got mine, they lasted very well............ I've got a fat bar in my gym too.
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Next

Return to BodyBuilding