Explosive reps for greater calorie burn

Your place to post about exercise technique and research

Explosive reps for greater calorie burn

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu May 28, 2009 12:18 pm

Effect of Explosive versus Slow Contractions and Exercise Intensity on Energy Expenditure.

BASIC SCIENCES
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 39(8):1291-1301, August 2007.
MAZZETTI, SCOTT 1; DOUGLASS, MATT 1; YOCUM, AARON 1; HARBER, MATT 2

Abstract:
Objective: The primary purpose of this study was to compare the effects of explosive versus slow contractions on the rate of energy expenditure during and after resistance exercise.

Methods: Nine men (20 +/- 2.5 yr) performed three exercise protocols using a plate-loaded squat machine, and a no-exercise (CONTROL) session in a randomly assigned, counterbalanced order. Subjects performed squats using either two second (SLOW) or explosive concentric contractions (EXPL), but identical repetitions ( 8), sets ( 4), and loads (60% 1RM). A secondary objective was to compare high- versus moderate-intensity exercise. Thus, a third protocol was performed that also used explosive contractions, with heavier loads (80% 1RM) and six sets of four reps (HEAVYEXPL). Eccentric reps (2 s), work (reps x sets x load), range of motion, and rest intervals between sets (90 s) were identical among all three protocols. Expired air was collected continuously for 20 min before, during, and 1 h after exercise and for about 1.5 h during CONTROL. Blood samples (25 [mu]L) were collected before, immediately after, and 15, 30, 45, and 60 min after each protocol, and these samples were analyzed for blood lactate (mM).

Results: Average rates of energy expenditure (kcal[middle dot]min-1) were significantly greater (P <= 0.05) during (7.27 +/- 2.00 > 6.43 +/- 1.64 and 6.25 +/- 1.55, respectively) and after (2.54 +/- 1.44 > 2.38 +/- 1.31 and 2.21 +/- 1.08, respectively) EXPL compared with SLOW and HEAVYEXPL, despite significantly (P <= 0.05) greater blood lactate after SLOW.

Conclusion: Squat exercise using explosive contractions and moderate intensity induced a greater increase in the rate of energy expenditure than squats using slow contractions or high intensity in all subjects tested. Thus, by using explosive contractions and moderate exercise intensity, experienced recreational exercisers can increase their energy expenditure during and after resistance exercise, and this could enhance weight-loss adaptations

abstract
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Explosive reps for greater calorie burn

Postby Alex on Thu May 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Coupled with slow eccentrics should create the ideal enviroment for muscle fibre breakdown.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Ader on Thu May 28, 2009 12:57 pm

Makes sense

Interesting that most lactic acid produced in the SLOW and I seem to recall that lactic acid is conducive to building muscle - But I foget why - so at least consistent with the fact that BBers tend to do slow

But would seem to make sense also to do explosive in a cut / weight loss phase and I suspect this is consistent with many people's experiences - mine certainly.
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Thu May 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Nice read Det. If you could find something explaining the mechanics behind ischemic lifts, beyond the obvious restriction of oxygen/blood, then release creating a pump, I would love you for ever.

I am gonna steal the reference too. :D
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu May 28, 2009 4:42 pm

GymBunny wrote:Nice read Det. If you could find something explaining the mechanics behind ischemic lifts, beyond the obvious restriction of oxygen/blood, then release creating a pump, I would love you for ever.

I am gonna steal the reference too. :D

Get ready to love me forever... posting new thread now :D
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Exercise Kinesiology and Research