Exploring Steady State, Complexes & High-Intens

Whether its the treadmill, HIIT, Plyometrics, skipping or sled pulling....ask\put it here!

Exploring Steady State, Complexes & High-Intens

Postby kp1512 on Tue May 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Very good read

Cardio 101 - Exploring Steady State, Complexes & High-Intensity Interval Training

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/card ... -training/
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Exploring Steady State, Complexes & High-Intens

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu May 12, 2011 1:05 pm

Interesting read. To be honest, for no other reason than to avoid boredom, I normally include all three types of cardio and alternate HIIT sprints one session with a gentle jog, cycle or swim for steady state, and then a plyo workout consisting of supersets.

For me though fat loss is not difficult - I have the thyroid output and the natural long distance runner build to make it easy. ironically though, one of my main issues for gaining muscle is simply that my appetite is too low to eat the food required, and weirdly cardio helps a lot with this by increasing my hunger levels more than anything... when doing cardio I tend to actually gain muscle better as my appetite is increased such that I am able to eat a lot more than the extra kcals I'm burning.

I know this goes against all the common advice for ecto's and gaining weight but for me including cardio really helps. Also keeps me in good health too I think.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Thu May 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Thats what ive been doing Det and it does help get more food in....but im resigned now firmly to 3 big solid meals and 3 liquid ones per day.
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu May 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Rab wrote:Thats what ive been doing Det and it does help get more food in....but im resigned now firmly to 3 big solid meals and 3 liquid ones per day.

3 and 3 is what I just started doing before getting injured, and it seemed to be working well - encouraging that it's what you've been doing too as you and I have a similar skeletal frame... what has worked for you would be more likely to work for me than copying an endomorphic's protocol I think.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Thu May 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Ive also been necking post weights workouts simple sugar and why shakes after cardio mate. another meal done and semi justified lol

i cnalive with getign a litte fat. I cant live with not getting any bigger :lol:
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri May 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Rab wrote:Ive also been necking post weights workouts simple sugar and why shakes after cardio mate. another meal done and semi justified lol

i cnalive with getign a litte fat. I cant live with not getting any bigger :lol:

lol, well i've been pussying around for too long with not eating enough and training to keep fit rather than develop anyappreciable size. My cardio fitness is pretty damn good, but the combo of highly inconsistent training and then the way I have been training (more plyo and cardio than weights) means I'm actually smaller than i was three years ago - and I suddenly feel pretty motivated to fix that.

Am not looking to get to competetive size of condition - I just want about 20lbs of muscle, and am happy to add a little fat if it helps me get there quicker... am hardly obese at a start point of about 12% anyway!

As soon as my injury heals, back to eating and training like my life depends upon it!
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Fri May 13, 2011 1:32 pm

my current schedule is pretty good and is really stripping the lard!

Day 1 : Steady State
Day 2 - HIIT
Day 3 - Steady State Morning - small hit session eve
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 Steady state 30 mins followed by HIIT -
rest
Repeat
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Cardiovascular Fitness