Effects of arginine and ornithine on strength, LBM and UHp

Have some data\research to share? Throw it in here for discussion and persual from all members!

Effects of arginine and ornithine on strength, LBM and UHp

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Effects of arginine and ornithine on strength, lean body mass and urinary hydroxyproline in adult males.

Elam RP, Hardin DH, Sutton RA, Hagen L.

Twenty-two adult males participated in a 5 week progressive strength training program. One half the subjects received the amino acids L-arginine and L-ornithine and the other half, a placebo. The study used a double blind protocol so that subjects as well as investigators had no knowledge of which substances were being administered. Dosages amounted to 2 grams or 1 gram each of L-arginine and L-ornithine, and 600 mg of calcium and 1 gram of Vitamin C as placebos. These supplements were taken orally for a total of 25 administrations. Following the short term strength program using progressively high intensities, tests were taken for total strength (TS), lean body mass (LBM) and urinary hydroxyproline (UH). The results from ANOVA showed that subjects who were taking the arginine-ornithine combination scored significantly higher in TS and LBM (p less than .05), and significantly lower in UH (p less than .05), than subjects on placebos. It was concluded that arginine and ornithine taken in prescribed doses can, in conjunction with a high intensity strength training program, increase TS and LBM in a relatively short period of time. Arginine and ornithine also aid in recovery from chronic stress by quelling tissue breakdown as evidenced by lower UH levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2770269

Interesting. Does anyone still take ornithine? I remember a few of us tried it years ago with a general concensus that it might well do something. Is one I might tray again at some point.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Effects of arginine and ornithine on strength, LBM and UHp

Postby Alex on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Not used OKG for around 6 months.

Definately a useful supplement but costly to run at effective doses (like HMB) and does like an increase in protein being an ammonia carrier.

Worthwhile if you're pretty active and more athlete orientated but if you're simply hitting the gym then 4 weeks of D-bol will be cheaper and probably give better results overall.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Alex wrote:Not used OKG for around 6 months.

Definately a useful supplement but costly to run at effective doses (like HMB) and does like an increase in protein being an ammonia carrier.

Worthwhile if you're pretty active and more athlete orientated but if you're simply hitting the gym then 4 weeks of D-bol will be cheaper and probably give better results overall.

Yes it was expensive. Just looked for one of our old threads back at the other place and found a post of yours that sums up what I was doing also:

In terms of dosing I found using this protocol works very well.

0.175mg of OKG per 1kg of bodyweight.

This I take daily, whether I train or not, split into 4 doses; morning, pre workout, post workout and pre bed. The most important doses are post workout and pre bed so you can split into 2 larger doses if you want.

The other method is to load up on 20g daily for around 3-5 days and then maintain a maintainance dose of 10g daily. I've not tried this but others have found it works well.

To cycle or not, Ollie pretty much sums it up. I generally don't cycle and just maintain about 16g daily all the time.

Not really any other supplement that compliments it as such although it works well with high protein so you could try and increase your daily in take by 25g-50g if it's not that high already.

Incidentally Ollies post was:

You'll find the benefits will taper off after about 4-6 weeks of dosing, at least in terms of strength gains. Cycle it for maximum efficiency.

Unfortunately I seem to take longer than most to respond, even on a dose of 18g/day it takes me a good week to respond.

If i recall I did just under three months (12 weeks) on 16g daily. By coincidence rather than wisdom I also upped my protein at the time and did get a good increase in strength on it.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:16 pm

I got a load cheap from the US when the exchange rates were more favourable and ran for 12-18 months continuous during that period. Can't argue that it works and has been used by a few International Rugby Teams whose requirements of physical activity and need for quick recovery would see the benefit of individuals supplementing.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:01 pm

I think enhanced recovery was probably the biggest benefit I noticed. If I was ever going to use it again, it would only be whilst cutting, as it helps with sleep and recovery, both of which are obviously affected at lower cals.

Very expensive for what it does, mind you.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Supplement Research