Effectiveness of Cinnamon for Lowering Hemoglobin A1C

Have some data\research to share? Throw it in here for discussion and persual from all members!

Effectiveness of Cinnamon for Lowering Hemoglobin A1C

Postby health4ni on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:54 pm

http://www.jabfm.org/cgi/content/full/22/5/507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Crawford, MD

From the Nellis Family Medicine Residency, Mike O'Callaghan Federal Hospital, Las Vegas, NV

Purpose: Multiple trials in the past have shown conflicting results of whether cinnamon lowers glucose or hemoglobin A1C (HbA1C). The purpose of this study was to determine whether cinnamon lowers HbA1C in patients with type 2 diabetes. I performed a randomized, controlled trial to evaluate whether daily cinnamon plus usual care versus usual care alone lowers HbA1c.

Methods: I randomized 109 type 2 diabetics (HbA1C >7.0) from 3 primary care clinics caring for pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients at a United States military base. Participants were randomly allocated to either usual care with management changes by their primary care physician or usual care with management changes plus cinnamon capsules, 1g daily for 90 days. HbA1c was drawn at baseline and 90 days and compared with intention-to-treat analysis. This study was approved by an institutional review board.

Results: Cinnamon lowered HbA1C 0.83% (95% CI, 0.46–1.20) compared with usual care alone lowering HbA1C 0.37% (95% CI, 0.15–0.59).

Conclusions: Taking cinnamon could be useful for lowering serum HbA1C in type 2 diabetics with HbA1C >7.0 in addition to usual care.

Interesting to note that they used the most common form of Cinnamon called Cinnamomum cassia which is actually best avoided due to it's toxicity. You should use Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (organic preferably). The most promising research has used the latter cinnamon form.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Effectiveness of Cinnamon for Lowering Hemoglobin A1C

Postby Resurrected on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Interesting but like many of these studies they are carried out on subjects with an illness, condition etc. So whilst there may be an effect, as in the case, if you have type 2 diabetes it really means jack shit for anyone else.
Thoughts determine what you want... Actions determine what you get!

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Cinnamon does have the effect of reducing Insulin response so there is some use to using alongside carb heavy meals. I personally (would) use Na-RALA instead as it's also a useful anti-oxidant but cinnamon still has it's place.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:27 pm

I too think Na-Rala is a better choice. However, I like to use cinnamon in my porridge as well as other cooking. Also, I like the taste and add it to my shakes. So even if it's not as strong as Na-Rala it may still help. Plus it's ORAC is well high. Not that that always means much, but still.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Marks1972 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:03 am

Ive been adding supermarket ground cinnamon to my shakes.... bad thing to do then if im not using good organic cinnamon?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current gym PBs - Deadlift 280kg, Squat 230kg (knee wraps and belt), Bench 160kg (wrist wraps)
Marks1972
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:25 am

i always like to add additional cinnamon to my mulled wine
an ideal experiment would to be have it tested on trained subjects and multi-comparison, so pitch ip up against nr-ala, fenugreek, chromium etc
it'll never happen but it would be nice to see them ranked in efficacy order
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:34 am

i love my ground cinnamon in shakes! I like the gritty texture and taste.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:45 pm

I get through a hell of a lot of the stuff. There are a few places where you can buy 500g at a time off eBay - well worth it IMO.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Been looking into this a little further and it's more the oil or a water extraction thats toxic compared to the powder itself with the compound in question being coumarin.

Cassia is also known as Cinnamomum Aromaticum.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Supplement Research