14%
Straps (mixed)
9%
Other
5%

Total votes : 22

Deadlift grip

Postby Will on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Just curious to know what people use in terms of deadlift grip.

1RMs I tend to use straps and double overhand grip. However normally I just rep using double overhand without straps. i.e. last weekend I did 3 sets totalling 22 reps @ 180kg with double over hand (which I'm chuffed with as my grip strength is getting pretty good again. :)).

The reason is I don't like mixed is the fear of pinging the bicep - now I'm sure I don't go heavy enough, but I don't know.

I'm starting to play with the hook grip but struggling to get it right certainly on the heavier weights.

I'd be keen to hear on tips from the experts - but also thought it'd be fun to see how people generally deadlift. I've enabled the poll so that people can choose up to all 6 options, but clearly I'm more interested in what you typically do rather than 1RM etc... However, if you can double overhand on 250+ then you are my god!
Will
Super Contributor

Re: Deadlift grip

Postby health4ni on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Overhand until I can't get the weight up for required reps. Then mixed grip.

I used straps for a year (mid-2008 to mid-2009) that helped, but have since stopped using them and my grip strength has got even better. Makes sense really. Current pb of 180kg was with strapless mixed grip. The 12 reps I did with 155kg last week was with a mixed grip. I could probably get 6-8 overhand, but it was the last set and I was going for 12 so mixed is more secure.

I tried hook grip but need more practice. To be honest I don't think it's necessary unless you find it "easy" and/.ore you do lots of Olympic lifting; in which case you should be used to it...

I think that once you've been deadlifting for a while and are strong, and not stupid, then mixed grip is fine. I've never felt the urge to try to curl it when lifting. I just don't use it with beginners. Plus, beginners tend to be ok with grip; it's actually their lack of leg/back strength that let's them done initially.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:02 pm

I tried mixed grip for the first time in a while the other day and when I got to heavier sets it did feel as though I was likely to do myself in. As a result I use straps for my working sets and build up to them with double OH. My double OH grip won't hold 220 for 5 reps, and mixed would be a struggle and doesn't feel right in any case.

Deads are the only exercise I use straps for now, and I think my grip is getting plenty of work from BB rows and the like (its certainly improving anyway).
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Ive recently been using mixed with straps. Usually use mixed no straps.

I think i will swap to double overhand with straps for a while like my deadlift hero Ollie. Im convinced that my right forearm is bigger because of the mixed grip rather than violent masturbation
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Ader on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:27 pm

I nearly always use mixed grip for dead's.

But I tend to go for double overhand with straps for rack pulls and sometime do that for speed work, shrugs and SLDLs.

I actually reckon using straps with double overhand works your grip a lot in a different way as you've widened the bar and bring your fingers more into play - I often find my fingers ache more if I use straps than when I don't.
Ultimate Contributor

Postby RoB on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:43 pm

I don't know if it's me being a spastic and not using them properly, but I find straps far harder on the grip than just using chalk. I can happily use mixed grip with just chalk on 200+ no issues, but when i've tried it with straps it was much harder.
RoB
Regular Contributor

Postby Ader on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:46 pm

RoB wrote:I don't know if it's me being a spastic and not using them properly, but I find straps far harder on the grip than just using chalk. I can happily use mixed grip with just chalk on 200+ no issues, but when i've tried it with straps it was much harder.
That sounds odd! I find my grip much 'firmer' with straps and often find they wreck my wrists on speed work (as in chafing)- You need to wrap em tight and let your wrists take the strain.
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Resurrected on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:52 pm

I've not deadlifted for quite a while now but have always used a mixed grip.

I've got very weak wrists (cue ESN filth!) and my grip has always given before my back when DLing, even with straps.
Thoughts determine what you want... Actions determine what you get!

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Hooked with straps but my knackered finger means my right side grip is a fair bit weaker.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:50 pm

Hook grip for me and no straps. I have fairly weak grip, and also arthritis in my wrists and hands, but refuse straps. Also avoid the mixed grip - find the trap on the reverse grip side gets worked more with this kind of grip and don't want uneven development. Also find that i often get bicep tweaks on that side too. It could be that my form isn't right with the mixed grip but whatever, I'll stick with what I know I can work safely and well with.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:07 am

Double OH then switch to mixed. Been doing trap deads for a few weeks now though so it's not an issue atm. I keep telling myself to get used to the hook grip, but it bloody hurts far too much.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby cleaver on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:10 am

I hook, and am comfortable with it till about 160 then it hurts. Rarely go over that as I mostly use deadlifts for speed work.
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 am

What this polll shows is that you end up dong what you feel comfortable with. There is no right or wrong. I would still teach someone to do double overhand until they had to do mixed grip.

I think so long as the form is good, just pull the fecking weight off the floor with whatever grip you desire :P
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Will on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:59 am

There's quite an interesting mix. I agree with teh sentiment Scott - I was curious to see what people chose here considering we have some big strong chaps here.
Will
Super Contributor

Postby Ader on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:25 am

^^ Spot on Scott.
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Benny on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:32 am

When warming up upto 110KG I'll use a double over hand false grip.

Once I'm onto working it's usually strapped up as I'm working on my grip but I generally tend rotate: double overhand, mixed, mixed (other way) then repeat.

I have tried to learn hook grip but think it needs a bit of practise/thumb flexability sorting!
Use discount code 'BSD324' for 5% off your first order.
B - 120KG, S - 170KG, DL - 200KG//490KG -10KG to go.
Benny
ESN Regular

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:27 am

Thinking about it, on RDL's and SDL's I'll often use a double overhand false grip. Like cleaver, I don't actually go super heavy on regular dead's very often - imo a combo of RDL's and powercleans works everything that dead's do but does the whole area (traps, lower back, glutes, hams) better.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Deadlifts first, then RDLs, then powercleans. Always deadlifts first ;)
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Exercise Kinesiology and Research