Building Forearms

New to training? Want to get in shape and want some free advice? Feel free to ask away in here!

Building Forearms

Postby Pingu on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:23 pm

Ok, so what can you do about weeny forearms?

Admittedly it is mainly my build/frame that I have these tiny wrists and forearms (wrists measure 14cm round and mid forearm only 20cm) so there wont be a huge amount I can do about it, but they are starting to look a bit out of synch with the rest of my arms.

The radial flexor muscle (with your arm palm up, I think that's the one on the inside of your forearm next to the elbow i.e. away from the wrist isn't it?) is doing OK but the rest just isn't.

Any ideas guys?
Life is too short for boring socks
Pingu
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Building Forearms

Postby simon m on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:30 pm

When you start to deallift or do heavy DB of BB rows your forearms will grow. I don't do specific exercises as they're not needed.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rorschach on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:49 pm

As Big Si says, anything that uses grip builds forearms. Carrying shopping, heavy saucepans, etc.

Ahem, sorry, I blame this forum, I'm usually such a gentleman. >_>

You can buy erm... grip thingies (nfc if there's a proper name for them), two bars connected by a spring that you squeeze. If you drive to work, leave one in the car, they're good to use in traffic-jams etc.
Rorschach
Popular Member

Postby Pingu on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:53 pm

I know what you mean D. I used to use those when my left arm was really bad and I had to retrain the nerves to get my hand to work properly. Right then, will be getting myself some more of those! Top suggestion. Thanks.

Si - it's another reason to give DLs a go then!
Pingu
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:55 pm

Depends on your build. For some lucky folk forearms develop naturally without specific work but for those who are fairly slim boned forearm specific work may be necessary.

There are various gizmos that people use, but if you want to use weights, a basic but effective forearm routine would consist of 2-3 sets each of Reverse Curls, Wrist Curls and Reverse Wrist Curls...

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Bra ... eCurl.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Wri ... tCurl.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Wri ... tCurl.html

See how it goes without specific work first though, you may be lucky enough not to need any.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rorschach on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:56 pm

D? Darling? Delightful?

Dickhead? :D
Rorschach
Popular Member

Postby Craig on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Power cleans from the hang, lowering the weight rather than dropping it.

No offense but big Forearms don't look cute on a girl!
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Pingu on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:21 pm

Excellent links, thanks D. Will have a good look.

Craig - don't fret!! Not talking about building big forearms!!! I just want to even them out a bit that's all. I am not interested in being a female body builder. Thanks for the advice though. GB mentioned PowerCleans to me a good while ago...
Pingu
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:58 pm

Be careful with powercleans, esp with your wonky arm. Ask Stan what he thinks as they may not be suitable.

Rope rolling might be a good idea though. you have a bar with a rope attached in the middle and a caribinar on the end of it. Loop the rope through a/some plate(s) and clip the caribinar back onto the rope. Then hold at arm's length and roll the rope up round the bar. It's more work for whichever arm you roll the rope towards along the bar. If you can't hold the bar at arm's length out in front of you, go stand on a bench with your arms straight down, so the plate is still dangling in the air and roll the rope that way. Fries your forearms.
Mens sana in corpore sano
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:19 pm

GymBunny wrote:Be careful with powercleans, esp with your wonky arm. Ask Stan what he thinks as they may not be suitable.

Rope rolling might be a good idea though. you have a bar with a rope attached in the middle and a caribinar on the end of it. Loop the rope through a/some plate(s) and clip the caribinar back onto the rope. Then hold at arm's length and roll the rope up round the bar. It's more work for whichever arm you roll the rope towards along the bar. If you can't hold the bar at arm's length out in front of you, go stand on a bench with your arms straight down, so the plate is still dangling in the air and roll the rope that way. Fries your forearms.

I've been thinking of making a home made 'wrist roller'... can indeed imagine them frying the forearms. After taking the mickey out of those 'powerballs' for ages i tried one not that long ago and they seem to work pretty good too!
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:20 pm

Powerballs are awesome. *Note to self* find mine.
Never look back with regrets and think "what if" for that way madness lies. There are those that will envy you and try and undermine you. They are not worth your time.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:23 pm

GymBunny wrote:Powerballs are awesome. *Note to self* find mine.

Dropped a few hints to get one for christmas but didn't work. *Det's note to self* Be less subtle next time!
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Lolllll! Yes subtlety never works!
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Pingu on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:12 pm

Thanks for that GB. Looking online at what Powercleans are I really don't think I will be able to do those which is a shame. I trust your judgement too, you know what the arm is like and what Powercleans are. BUT.... me thinks I will be making me some of those!!!! :D
Pingu
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Resurrected on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:20 pm

Not forgetting an old school exercise (well I am old :cry: ), often overlooked now days http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Wri ... exion.html
Thoughts determine what you want... Actions determine what you get!

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Pingu on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:29 pm

Nice, thank's Res! Looks like I could do that one as well!!! (Well providing my shocking co-ordination doesn't let me down and I end up competely tying myself up in knots! :lol: ).

OK, so how old are you then...
Pingu
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Resurrected on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Pingu wrote:Nice, thank's Res! Looks like I could do that one as well!!! (Well providing my shocking co-ordination doesn't let me down and I end up competely tying myself up in knots! :lol: ).

OK, so how old are you then...

Nearer 50 than 40 :cry: . Bloody hell now I am starting to sound old lol

A clue: When I was a moderator at MP I started out known as 40andstartingover. That was over 6 years ago
Thoughts determine what you want... Actions determine what you get!

Why are Chavs like slinkies? They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.
Resurrected
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Pingu on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:38 pm

Ooh, you just made me feel better! :lol: ;)
Pingu
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:44 am

Resurrected wrote:Not forgetting an old school exercise (well I am old :cry: ), often overlooked now days http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Wri ... exion.html

Aha! SO that's it's official name. Pingu, that was the exercise I was describing!

Ressie, you old fossil, you aren't old, just well preserved. ;)
Last edited by GymBunny on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Dtlv74 wrote:

Dropped a few hints to get one for christmas but didn't work. *Det's note to self* Be less subtle next time!

I got one for Christmas from my little brother. Do you guys actually rate them?
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby SCOTT GALTON on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:19 pm

griping heavy dumbells and barbells will get your forearms growing. Hammercurls acroos the body (pinwheels) are good for a specific forearm/brachiallis move
BSD21 IS THE CODE THAT GIVES YOU MUSCLES AND 5% DISCOUNT

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF THE DWARF EMPIRE
The Dwarf EMPIRE WILL RULE THE WORLD OUR NUMBERS ARE GROWING

http://esnpro.ning.com/
SCOTT GALTON
Ultimate Contributor

Postby GymBunny on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:13 pm

ollie wrote:
Dtlv74 wrote:

I got one for Christmas from my little brother. Do you guys actually rate them?

Yes, the trick to keep your arm as still as possible and only move your hand. As the momentum builds up you'll find it increasingly difficult to hold on. There is an art to it.
GymBunny
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Pingu on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:25 pm

GymBunny wrote:Yes, the trick to keep your arm as still as possible and only move your hand. As the momentum builds up you'll find it increasingly difficult to hold on. There is an art to it.

Oh dear, I can see me getting in quite a mess then! Not the most co-ordinated of people! :lol: I will get other half to video it for you GB. That will give you a laugh!
Pingu
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Ader on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:10 pm

Reverse curls are good IMO - But I you need to assess if your arm will let you - They do puit a lot of strain on the lower arm - I perfer to use an EZ bar or do themn with DB's as a straight arm gives me something akin to shin splints in my arm

Also consider simply getting 2 plates (small to start eg 2 1/2 KG's) and pinch them together in one hand and lift em up and hold on - I think they're pinch grips - Gradually build up time/weight - Reminds me I should do these now and again too :)
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Pingu on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:57 am

Sounds like a good one Ader... possibly not gonna work for me but I am going to give all of these a go and see how the wonkiness copes with it! Thanks!
Pingu
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Beginners Lounge