Branched-chain amino acid ingestion can ameliorate soreness

Have some data\research to share? Throw it in here for discussion and persual from all members!

Branched-chain amino acid ingestion can ameliorate soreness

Postby cleaver on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:51 pm

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 Dec 4. [Epub ahead of print]
Branched-chain amino acid ingestion can ameliorate soreness from eccentric exercise.

Jackman SR, Witard OC, Jeukendrup AE, Tipton KD.

Human Performance Laboratory, Exercise Metabolism Research Group, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, B15 2TT, United Kingdom.

PURPOSE:: The purpose of this study was to examine the role of branched chain amino acid (BCAA) supplementation during recovery from intense eccentric exercise. METHODS:: Twenty-four non-weight trained males were assigned to one of two groups; one group (SUP) ingested BCAA beverages (n=12); a second group (PLA) ingested artificially flavoured water (n=12). Diet was controlled throughout the testing period to match habitual intake. The eccentric exercise protocol consisted of 12x10 repetitions of unilateral eccentric knee extension exercise at 120% concentric one repetition maximum. On the day of the exercise supplements were consumed 30 min before exercise, 1.5 h following exercise, between lunch and dinner and before bed. On the following two days four supplements were consumed between meals. Muscle soreness, muscle function and putative blood markers of muscle damage were assessed pre and post (1, 8, 24, 48, 72 h) exercise. RESULTS:: Muscle function decreased after the eccentric exercise (P<0.0001) but the degree of force loss was unaffected by BCAA ingestion (51+/- 3% with SUP versus -48 +/- 7% with PLA). A decrease in flexed muscle soreness was observed in SUP compared to PLA at 48 h (21 +/- 3 mm vs. 32 +/- 3 mm; P=0.02) and 72 h (17 +/- 3 mm vs. 27 +/- 4 mm; P=0.038). Flexed muscle soreness, expressed as area under the curve, was lower in SUP than PLA (P=0.024). CONCLUSIONS:: BCAA supplementation may attenuate muscle soreness, but does not ameliorate eccentric exercise-induced decrements in muscle function or increases in reputed blood markers of muscle damage, when consumed pre and for 3 days after an eccentric exercise bout.
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Branched-chain amino acid ingestion can ameliorate soreness

Postby julesm on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:00 pm

if this pepto-pro wants to be crowned the new king...it too needs studies affirming its efficacy

subjectively, i have always had less doms with bcaa, but never been stupid enough to train the same bodyparts, so interesting to see the concurrent study
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:34 am

I've noticed the same reduction in DOMS with BCAAs and also with EAAs - but then most EAA formulas are around a third BCAA content anyway.

Would be interesting to see what dose they used... fairly high I'd imagine.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:57 am

EAA's hand down for totaly reduction in DOMS. Throw in some na-rala with it and you also get increase uptake due to insulinogenic activity of the aminos within EAA
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:33 pm

when I was using BCAAs & EAAs I did notice a marked decrease in DOMs.

I've not taken those for over 6 months now and my DOMs is almost non-existant; certainly no more than when using AAs. I put this down to keeping more alkaline and most especially taking alkaline salts immediately after training. This simply helps to buffer the lactic acid and remove it from the muscle tissue thus reducing DOMs.

Na-Rala is also a very powerful acid buffer. And an all round great supp imo
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:39 pm

I haven't taken the Na R ALA yet but loved the K R ALA I tried... as said, a great supplement. Yeah I noticed the best of all DOMS reduction from EAAs, or EAAs + extra BCAAs. Better than BCAAs on their own anyway.

Agree also that a diet with more greens in it does seem to reduce DOMS somewhat compared to a not so balanced diet.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Supplement Research